L47 TLB

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
hey folks,

I've been searching for a small (3 ton) mini-ex for several months and am not having much luck. Used machines are still quite salty and new are almost ridiculous. It occurred to me that perhaps my needs may be better served in getting a dedicated TLB (replacing my B2650). Most digging that I do is basically trenching under 8' in depth. My current machine has no issue in trenches under 5' in depth, after that I generally use a mini. However, many of those jobs can be significant enough in length (requiring a mini-ex) and it's always helpful to have a loader to move stone and for backfilling. A dedicated TLB could negate the need for having two machines on a job site.

Wondering what experiences others have had with the L47 (TLB)? I believe that they are fairly capable in terms of digging/lifting and weigh in at approx 3.5 ton. I need to keep a limit on the size (weight) for towing. The spec says that they use a 10 ft hoe, so, I would assume that a 7- 8' depth would allow for a reasonable length flat bottom? Is the hoe pretty fast?

I've had seat time in the old Deere version (JD 110). It was a great machine with plenty of power and a sufficiently capable hoe. I wish that green still offered them (ended in 2012 ish?). I think Kubota and JCB are the only two players in that market now.

I would definitely use the 3 point hitch for my other landscaping jobs/needs, but may need to upsize them from what I have now. Inability to drop the loader isn't really a concern for me. I hardly ever remove mine.

Let me know what experiences you've had with them. I believe that there is a local rental shop that has one so I may try to get one for a job and see how it does.

Appreciate the help.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
hey folks,

I've been searching for a small (3 ton) mini-ex for several months and am not having much luck. Used machines are still quite salty and new are almost ridiculous. It occurred to me that perhaps my needs may be better served in getting a dedicated TLB (replacing my B2650). Most digging that I do is basically trenching under 8' in depth. My current machine has no issue in trenches under 5' in depth, after that I generally use a mini. However, many of those jobs can be significant enough in length (requiring a mini-ex) and it's always helpful to have a loader to move stone and for backfilling. A dedicated TLB could negate the need for having two machines on a job site.

Wondering what experiences others have had with the L47 (TLB)? I believe that they are fairly capable in terms of digging/lifting and weigh in at approx 3.5 ton. I need to keep a limit on the size (weight) for towing. The spec says that they use a 10 ft hoe, so, I would assume that a 7- 8' depth would allow for a reasonable length flat bottom? Is the hoe pretty fast?

I've had seat time in the old Deere version (JD 110). It was a great machine with plenty of power and a sufficiently capable hoe. I wish that green still offered them (ended in 2012 ish?). I think Kubota and JCB are the only two players in that market now.

I would definitely use the 3 point hitch for my other landscaping jobs/needs, but may need to upsize them from what I have now. Inability to drop the loader isn't really a concern for me. I hardly ever remove mine.

Let me know what experiences you've had with them. I believe that there is a local rental shop that has one so I may try to get one for a job and see how it does.

Appreciate the help.
I have a 2006 L48, which is the predecessor to the L47.
I bought mine used with only 251 hours, and have added very few additional hours.
My L48 TLB is strictly for play, and at 82 now, I just don't play that much.

My hoe is plenty fast for me, but as above, it is only for play!
You might consider yourself lucky that you do not have an opportunity for a JD110, because they have a somewhat spotty history of cracked transmission cases.

The L47 TLB looks to be an adequate machine for your described uses. (7,205 lbs.)
My machine (7,750 lbs.) has 25.9 GPM hydraulic flow, and I assume the L47 might be the same.
Be absolutely certain to specify the Kubota hoe bucket quick attach system, and their hydraulic thumb.
Unfortunately the M62 TLB weighs 8,925 lbs. and is perhaps not an option for you.
The Kubota TLB quick attach system is the same as most of their mini-ex, so buckets are interchangeable.

If you do buy the L47 be certain to get a set of good forks (EA?), and include whatever size hoe buckets you think you will need, rolled into your net price.
Kubota hoe buckets have become crazy expensive!
!6" Kubota trenching bucket is now $1,428
I just bought one!

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have seen used commercial grade trenchers listed rather inexpensively. I don't know your circumstances but it seems like a lot of bang for the buck so to speak. Good luck.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks Fried.

I have forks already that I could use and have access to several buckets from a KX033. I believe that the buckets are the very same quick connect that's used on the L47. I did hear about the case issue with the 110's. Hard to believe that JD got out of that niche. Those machines are still highly sought after.

I'll just have to rent an L47 and give it a try.

JimmyJazz. Not sure what you are referring to, but perhaps you are thinking of something along the lines of a ditchwitch type? If so, I should have been a little more clear in my needs. I need to dig up water and waste lines for repair/replacement, so, a ditchwitch type machine wouldn't be what I was looking for. It'd have to be a backhoe or excavator.

I do like the KX033, but it's just a little too heavy to pull with my (gas engine) truck. I'll be using a rented KX080 for a dig tomorrow....that should be fun.

Thanks again all.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks Fried.

I have forks already that I could use and have access to several buckets from a KX033. I believe that the buckets are the very same quick connect that's used on the L47. I did hear about the case issue with the 110's. Hard to believe that JD got out of that niche. Those machines are still highly sought after.

I'll just have to rent an L47 and give it a try.

JimmyJazz. Not sure what you are referring to, but perhaps you are thinking of something along the lines of a ditchwitch type? If so, I should have been a little more clear in my needs. I need to dig up water and waste lines for repair/replacement, so, a ditchwitch type machine wouldn't be what I was looking for. It'd have to be a backhoe or excavator.

I do like the KX033, but it's just a little too heavy to pull with my (gas engine) truck. I'll be using a rented KX080 for a dig tomorrow....that should be fun.

Thanks again all.
Yes....the KX033 quick connect buckets fit the L47 TLB, and my L48 TLB.
I think the greatest difference between the L47 and L48 is the anti-pollution garbage.
The L47 TLB has it....my 2006 L48 TLB does not.
I fluffed & buffed & painted parts of my L48, so it looks almost new (has 259 hrs. now).

I really wanted to buy a used JD 110 TLB, but the cracked transmission housing issue drove me away.
One hairline crack, and your machine could loose 1/2 it's value.

I had a Ford 3400 TLB (10' dig) for 30 years.
Now, I am very pleased with my L48 TLB, plus it has lots of OE dealer added nice to have gadgets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I had a 1970 JD500C full size BH with 10,000hrs, wanted something newer, I could trailer and BH/3pt. Shopped used for over a year and came across a 2016 L47, 330hrs and was Blessed to get it for $40,000. In less than a year I put on 220 more hours, 550hrs now. Dug a septic with the 16" bucket, definitely slower than my old full size BH with a 30" bucket, spent over $1500 on a 24" bucket, worth it. Other than that, love that I can trailer it around with a 14,000lb dump trailer and 2004 1 ton dually, plus be able to have a 3pt, very versatile. Takes about 1hr to swap BH to 3pt, must have some type of weight on the rear to operate the loader. The emissions, PMs took a little to get used to, but how clean it runs compared to the old JD, you would get smoked out running in the workshop, well worth it. I did not think it could, but lifted some 3' diameter boulders. Very impressive powerful machine, just hope I can put 10,000hrs on it.
Good luck finding a deal on one.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you are doing commercial work get a CTL and a mini-x. The TLB is a good general purpose machine but it doesn't really excel at anything. I think my M59 is too small at times, an L47 would be too small all the time for me. The TLB will be much slower than a mini-x if you are doing a lot of trench work. Time is money. So is maintaining someone elses old clunker throw away.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had a 1970 JD500C full size BH with 10,000hrs, wanted something newer, I could trailer and BH/3pt. Shopped used for over a year and came across a 2016 L47, 330hrs and was Blessed to get it for $40,000. In less than a year I put on 220 more hours, 550hrs now. Dug a septic with the 16" bucket, definitely slower than my old full size BH with a 30" bucket, spent over $1500 on a 24" bucket, worth it. Other than that, love that I can trailer it around with a 14,000lb dump trailer and 2004 1 ton dually, plus be able to have a 3pt, very versatile. Takes about 1hr to swap BH to 3pt, must have some type of weight on the rear to operate the loader. The emissions, PMs took a little to get used to, but how clean it runs compared to the old JD, you would get smoked out running in the workshop, well worth it. I did not think it could, but lifted some 3' diameter boulders. Very impressive powerful machine, just hope I can put 10,000hrs on it.
Good luck finding a deal on one.
"spent over $1500 on a 24" bucket"
24" bucket today from Coleman's is $1363.

Kubota OEM bucket prices are apparently fluctuating wildly.
Three months ago, Coleman's price for K7873 16" trenching bucket was $1428.
Price now is $1040.
I paid $1100 in July, from Chappell Tractor in NH.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks guys.

Vlach7 - what truck do you pull yours with (gas or diesel)? Is the hoe fairly fast or do you wind up cursing it to speed up?

Price- well, I'm seeing some well equipped, slightly used machines in the low to mid $50's. :(

Mikester- I hear you, but I can't pull either of those machines with my rig. Most of the "dig" jobs I do are single day events. Trenches are generally 2ft and under in width and typically under 8 feet in depth. Most are rather short too (spot repairs).

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks guys.

Vlach7 - what truck do you pull yours with (gas or diesel)? Is the hoe fairly fast or do you wind up cursing it to speed up?

Price- well, I'm seeing some well equipped, slightly used machines in the low to mid $50's. :(

Mikester- I hear you, but I can't pull either of those machines with my rig. Most of the "dig" jobs I do are single day events. Trenches are generally 2ft and under in width and typically under 8 feet in depth. Most are rather short too (spot repairs).
If you can find a very low hour L47 I would suggest trying it.
If you do not like it, a resale would loose little, if any money.

I have put in two complete septic systems with my L48, but I am an old former civil engineer who just likes to play in the dirt, and time matters not to me.
The overall utility value of a dedicated TLB for small jobs, is impossible to beat.
It is the "Swiss army knife" of equipment.

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The overall utility value of a dedicated TLB for small jobs, is impossible to beat.
I'm total agreement with you. While a TLB doesn't do anything great, it can generally do it all. That's why I like them so much.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I have a stock Duramax/Diesel Dually, I go 50mph max, could go faster but don't need to I'm retired. BH digs fine, I could dig faster but I'm in no hurry. I considered the larger TLBs for the hp and 14' depth, but the weight was at the limit and if I need a deeper hole I dig down with the front loader and get nearly 14' depth. As I'm sure you have read the tractor is well made, for a rental yard or contractor. I'm sure you would love it.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you can find a very low hour L47 I would suggest trying it.
If you do not like it, a resale would loose little, if any money.

I have put in two complete septic systems with my L48, but I am an old former civil engineer who just likes to play in the dirt, and time matters not to me.
I’m curious about a TLB. I use lots of implements on my 3ph. How easy is it to remove the BH from a dedicated TLB unit and install a 3ph?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’m curious about a TLB. I use lots of implements on my 3ph. How easy is it to remove the BH from a dedicated TLB unit and install a 3ph?
Mines not a true “TLB” model, just a basic L with bh77. After a short learning curve, 15 minutes maybe.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I do a switch about once or twice a year, so I get rusty, I'm sure there all a bit different, but on my L47 it takes me about 1 hr. Winter, I have an angle blade for the snow, Spring I scrap the weeds and whenever in between that I have a project to dig a hole or trench. Best to remove on level ground and not to close to the workshop, last year the hydraulics settled and put the BH thru one of my windows. The only trick getting the BH on and off is using the outriggers and bucket on the ground for the right angles.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
About 15 min as well. That includes getting the 3 point hardware on.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
About 15 min as well. That includes getting the 3 point hardware on.
Thanks. I was under the impression that it was a more laborious process removing from a TLB than a standard tractor with a BH.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sorry...
I can only make a guess.
I would guess.....maybe 30 minutes.

Over 32 years I have owned two different dedicated TLBs, (Ford & Kubota) each with a three point hitch.
I have never removed the BH on either machine.
I use my Ford 1920 FEL when I need to use a 3pt. hitch.

Last edited: