L3800: can I move a 1200 pound generator?

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
So I got this cool military surplus diesel generator called a MEP-803a. It weighs about 1200 pounds. It's set up for moving with forks, would I be able to move it if I had a set of quick attach forks? It has skids on the bottom, so I can drag it and nudge it into place if need be, but if I could lift it I would consider getting forks.

I don't need to lift it on and off a trailer, just (very slowly) around a relatively level yard. What do you think? Thanks!

-- Carl

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Specs say 1490lbs at pin and 1182lbs at 1.5 meters out.
So if you use a very light set of pallet forks that are Pin on or SSQA you should be able to do it. ;)

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Make a SSQA adapter that bolts on to the gennie. No implement weight equals more lift capacity...and closer to the tractor.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Make a SSQA adapter that bolts on to the gennie. No implement weight equals more lift capacity...and closer to the tractor.
This would be the best way to do it.

Does that generator run at 60 hertz? Some of the older military generators ran at higher cycles.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im thinking it is 60 cycles though it can be tuned to run 50 to 65,,I THINK ,, it has been a long time since I saw one

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I would suggest using a ballast box or some implement on your 3 point hitch to get some added weight back there. Don't try picking it up any higher than absolutely necessary.

Safety first! :)
Ted

Grege

Equipment
L3800 HST
Apr 14, 2016
Renfrew, Ontario
I purchased 2000lb quick attach pallet forks for my L3800, by far one of the most useful implements I have. I put everything on pallets in my yard, Snowmobiles, snow blower, and wood get way to move items around the yard. I also use forks for getting large rocks out of the lawn/yard. Now as far as lifting capacity it would depend on how wide it is like NI wolf man said the farther out you go the harder to lift.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. There are definitely more options on the table now than when I started, I knew you wouldn't let me down! :)

Here's a link to more info on my new beast:

https://greenmountaingenerators.com/manuals-and-support/mep-803a-manuals/

Scroll down a little, the 803a is the left-hand column. Dimensional pictures at the bottom will show you that it's about 5' long, 3' tall, and 32" wide. So the CG will be at least 16" from the face of whatever I'm lifting with.

Thinking about it some more, I'm probably going to be putting the generator in place once, not moving it around all the time. What I'll be doing more often is loading and unloading a barrel of diesel for it, so maybe that's what I ought to be asking instead.

-- Carl

Wolf515

Equipment
BX1870
Apr 12, 2017
North East, PA
So I got this cool military surplus diesel generator called a MEP-803a. It weighs about 1200 pounds. It's set up for moving with forks, would I be able to move it if I had a set of quick attach forks? It has skids on the bottom, so I can drag it and nudge it into place if need be, but if I could lift it I would consider getting forks.

I don't need to lift it on and off a trailer, just (very slowly) around a relatively level yard. What do you think? Thanks!

-- Carl
I have to say you wont be unhappy with the MEP-803a. I used to own the much older MEP-003a. When looking at the specs they are highly underrated. If if i remember correctly they are rated to produce 10k at 8500 feet above sea level and at 120 degrees F. That thing is a beast. It will easily make 110% rated power and not even seem to struggle.

Just ensure its on the single phase 240v mode. Unless your using it for a 3 phase pump, welder ect. If your unaware it has the ability with a turn of a switch to be single phase 120v, single phase 240v and 3 phase 208v.

NEVER EVER EVER RUN THE ENGINE AT IDLE!!!!!

If you run the engine at idle you will burn up the voltage regulator components. This is due to the way the electronic regulator is designed. Also when starting the engine is made to start and immediately be at 1800RPM. I know that might sound crazy but they are made to do that.

One thing these units can develop are wet stacking issues.

I can go on and on, if you need to know more please let me know!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Where did you find the beast, and if I may ask what did you give for it

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Where did you find the beast, and if I may ask what did you give for it
It's military surplus. You can find them on eBay or research auctions. They are a little pricey, but our tax dollars paid a little over $10k for them new. Where else are you going to get a generator that is designed to handle an EMP from a nuclear weapon? :)

-- Carl

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
What loader is on your tractor? LA524? LA524's lift capacity is not as high as one would think. I want to say around 1100 lbs. I think the specs also listed something as much as 1400 or so, but my experience is that it won't do it. Well it might, but the tractor sure ain't gonna like it. That is just too much weight for the little tractor; and WAY too much without some sort of implement on the back to counterweight. Around 1100 lbs is what I consider max, and that's with good counterweight on the rear. I see a lot of folks buying those small tractors for farm use; e.g. moving 4x5 round bales. A 4x5 tightly packed round bale can be upward of 1800 lbs, usually 1400-1500 and most of the sub 40hp standard L series Kubota's just won't do it safely. There was a guy who killed himself not far from my house last year loading a round bale onto a trailer, about 6' up, the bale rolled off of the tractor and onto the operator; smashed him. It was not a smart move but it shows us that you have to be mindful when using the equipment, as it can be deadly.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lugbolt, when you hear about that type of accident (the bale rolled off of the tractor and onto the operator) how are they loading the bale?

It must be with a double fork under the bale, and the bale is just setting on the steel, nothing holding it in place?

I use a bale spike which has a large spike to penetrate the center of the bale and two other smaller spikes 12"-14" long that keep the bale from rotation once it is picked up. There is no way I can imagine that round bale will come off that implement and roll back to the steering wheel, no matter how high it is lifted!

Similar to this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/round-bale-...197165?hash=item2586e8da6d:g:34kAAOxyVLNSsGBQ

I sometimes lift the bale up and let it slide off gently as I roll the bucket, letting the hay end up one the end of the bale in the ring. I often have the bale 8' in the air when I start rolling it forward.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
More than likely, the guy that was killed wasn't using a bale spear or even pallet forks. If the bale rolled off, my guess would be that he scooped it up in the bucket. Once it's raised up, it could happen very easy.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
Maybe you have already considered this idea. You can also maybe mount that generator on a trailer. That way you can take it anywhere, anytime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Maybe you have already considered this idea. You can also maybe mount that generator on a trailer. That way you can take it anywhere, anytime.
That's a good suggestion, and many of them do come mounted on heavy duty trailers. I thought about it, but that would make it easier for some lowlife to make off with it. With it on the ground there's a good chance I'll notice his forklift before he can make a clean getaway! :)

-- Carl