L3200 2012 81 hours...starts, runs for half a second and dies...will not stay runnin

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
Pulled the fuel filter...its only a month or two old...but it did have a couple of large chunks of debris on top...rinsed off and reinstalled...fuel flow coming to filter seemed normal during install...no water in bowl.

Checked air filter...its original...knocked a small amount of dust off it...tried to start while it was out...same problem...re-installed.

Bled fuel line...as best we could with a few short starts.

Fuel tank was at 1/4...filled to 1/2...fuel is probably 3 months old...but it is in a clean truck bulk tank with a pump and it was treated when filled.

The dash does not seem to have power when you turn the key to on...the fuel gauge does not move until that split second that the engine does start and run.

Checked fuses at fuse box...all are good.

We do have crazy ants...they do impact the magnetic switch on our water well from time to time....they will pile up inside it until the switch doesn't make contact...sucks...but we deal with it.

There are ants all over the tractor including inside the dash...is it possible they may have piled up inside something that is keeping the tractor from staying running?

Cameron

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Sounds to me like a safety switch. Some of the will allow the tractor to run a few seconds then die. Like the one under the seat, get off the seat while driving and it will run a second or two then die.

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
Never heard of it, but it does sound like the ants are your problem. :confused:
Well I'm going to drain the fuel and put new fuel in next just to confirm there is no way it's a fuel issue...but I have no idea where to look for an electrical problem due to ants piling in inside of something electrical...I'm not versed on electrical troubleshooting...could it be they are in the key switch? Obviously the starter turns over...where should I look for an electrical issue due to ants piling in causing something not to let the engine continue to run? Anybody got any ideas?

Cameron

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
Sounds to me like a safety switch. Some of the will allow the tractor to run a few seconds then die. Like the one under the seat, get off the seat while driving and it will run a second or two then die.
Maybe...but it has the same identical problem whether your in the seat and try to start or outside the tractor and trying to start.

How do you trouble shoot a defective seat switch?

Cameron

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
Maybe...but it has the same identical problem whether your in the seat and try to start or outside the tractor and trying to start.

How do you trouble shoot a defective seat switch?

Cameron

That being said it probably is a good idea to just go take a look and see what the electrical looks like under the seat...maybe there is a fuse out or a loose line..I will do that now...thanks for the reply.

Cameron

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
That being said it probably is a good idea to just go take a look and see what the electrical looks like under the seat...maybe there is a fuse out or a loose line..I will do that now...thanks for the reply.

Cameron
Does the same thing seat up or down...its a mechanical switch with a trigger...I will disconnect and try to jump it and see what happens...but I'm out for an hour or so going to help a friend with a septic problem...joy...

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You will have an electronic fuel shutoff- perhaps the ants are affecting that.
Also, the chunks in the fuel filter- what did they look like? You could have bacterial fungus, which will grow in diesel fuel, and it could be clogging the pickup in the tank, and anywhere between the tank and the injection pump. There are biocides that will treat it, and Powerservice makes a product that will break up particles in the fuel system.
http://www.powerservice.com/cd

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
You will have an electronic fuel shutoff- perhaps the ants are affecting that.
Also, the chunks in the fuel filter- what did they look like? You could have bacterial fungus, which will grow in diesel fuel, and it could be clogging the pickup in the tank, and anywhere between the tank and the injection pump. There are biocides that will treat it, and Powerservice makes a product that will break up particles in the fuel system.
http://www.powerservice.com/cd
Tried jumping the seat safety but there are three wires...I tried every combo I could do...no difference.

The clumps were black and tarry like.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Is it HST? If so, it could be the foot peddle.

Problem or nor not, I believe I'd figure some way to get rid of the ants. :cool:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
First thing I would do is drape a big tarp over the entire tractor and set of a bug bomb under there. If you think ants are the problem deal with them so they can be crossed off the list.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Black, tar-like clumps, looks like squashed grapes? That is bacterial fungus.
I just dealt with it in my diesel truck. It would shut the truck completely down. The clump would block the end of the pickup tube, restricting all fuel flow. The harder you try to start it, the more it blocks the fuel. Let it set for a little while, the clump would move away from the tube end. Try and start it, it would suck it back up. I would drain the fuel and check the pickup tube, as well as the new filter. I bet you will find more of it.
http://s65.photobucket.com/user/br549_red/media/goo001_zpscc5c942c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
That black clump, smaller than the size of a quarter, shut my 6800 pound truck completely down.

Last edited:

sew

Equipment
L3800DT, Rhino 160, Box Blade, 962 Taylor Pitts tiller
Aug 5, 2013
Piggott, AR
Consider this: take the 2 fuel lines off the fuel pump, connect to a nipple(5/16") and see if it starts. My L3800 had fuel pump go out(just over 300 hrs on 1 1/2 year old tractor. It should start and run. However, you can take the fuel line off that goes to the injector pump and see if you get a steady pressure(what it should do) or a pressure then a vacuum (bad). Easiest: stick the fuel lines together and have somebody turn the key and see if it starts. Have it in neutral, clutch down and locked, etc. Reads like very possibly a fuel pump.
Good luck. Incidentally, I'm not (any longer) a professional mechanic;rather, a dentist. So consider the source, there are likely those with much better advice than I've given. Try it anyway though. :)

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
Its running yeah! After reading several posts from other folks problems I came across a post regarding a fuel stop solenoid not working...when they disconnected the plug to it they noticed that the metal connectors were corroded...that's not the problem I had but it sparked and idea...when I checked my fuses yesterday some of them seemed a little white...like a light layer of corrosion...I didn't think anything of it...it wasn't that bad...but I kept thinking about the fuel gauge not working or anything on the dash with the key on so I went and pulled the dash fuse...that particular fuse did not look corroded at all...for grins I sprayed the fuse with a 50/50 vinegar mix...wiped it down with a paper towel...sprayed with wd 40...wiped off and re-installed...turn the key and walla...now the dash was working...started it up it kept running!

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
Is it HST? If so, it could be the foot peddle.

Problem or nor not, I believe I'd figure some way to get rid of the ants. :cool:
There is no getting rid of these ants...you can keep them at bay around the house and shop and although they had not been on the tractor till now you better believe I will be spraying around it from now on. They are an imported invasive species...they eat fire ants for lunch...I haven't had a fire ant mound on my 4 acres in 5 years...they ate them all.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Don't ignore the black stuff in your filter- it will continue to grow, if you don't kill it and clean it out.

bayeye

Equipment
2012 L3200
Aug 24, 2013
Iowa Colony, Texas
Don't ignore the black stuff in your filter- it will continue to grow, if you don't kill it and clean it out.
I gotcha...Im all over it..I will treat my truck tank and the tractor tank...I am in construction...I know about biocides and will do....would like to think that's not what my debris is in my own little closed system at home for my tractor...but I can't explain the black clumps so best to treat...they were not that big probably 3/8 inch or less...but it has got my attention!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
If you don't have one, a multi-meter is handy for checking voltage as well as good continuity of switches.

They can be as cheap as $10 and still be good enough for checking things.

I'd disconnect the leads to the fuel pump and see if you have a continuous 12 volts. Do you hear it running after engine quits?

For switches, continuity should be near zero ohms, on the lowest resistance setting of the meter.

If you can't fix it, a workshop manual will give the electrical diagrams. Messick's at 800-222 3373 may have one.

On my BX1860 (and many tractors) the PTO switch has two contacts, as does the HST neutral. The Front PTO, seat, seat turn over, each have one contact.

The book says engine quits one second after the seat switch is open. You can't even start with the others open, So that points only to the seat switch.

Do you have mice? They will chew wire insulation and some strands, leaving a high resistance in the wire left. A mouse nest will have crud possibly affecting a switch.

Your OPC (Operator Presence Control) timer may be bad. Mine sits under the seat. This is operated to keep fuel going and with no voltage, shuts off engine NOW by cutting volts to the solenoid.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I gotcha...Im all over it..I will treat my truck tank and the tractor tank...I am in construction...I know about biocides and will do....would like to think that's not what my debris is in my own little closed system at home for my tractor...but I can't explain the black clumps so best to treat...they were not that big probably 3/8 inch or less...but it has got my attention!
I drive my truck regularily, and buy my fuel from a high-volume, quality fuel place. The fuel in my truck wasn't old, and I keep powerservice in it. Yet, the stuff grew. I think it can happen in any fuel, not just stuff stored.
In my case, the tiny particles passed through the screen on the bottom of the fuel pickup, and coagulated into a clump inside the screen. It would float around, sometimes completely clear of the pickup end, and sometimes sucked to it. Because of the screen, it couldn't float but so far away. Point being, the small particles coagulated into a big particle.