North Idaho Wolfman
Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
No there is not mutiple different glow plug set ups.yessh, 1/2 ohm so will draw 25 amps +-, EACH ! Hope you got REAL good battery 'under the hood'
OK, curious, I pull an L2250-2550 WSM and it shows the 3 glowplugs in series BUT... the GP test from NIW post shows 'tab to ground'..which would indicate a parallel circuit and 75 amps...
are there 2 different L2550 tractors ??

I know it has been warned many times on this board, about "cheap" injectors. This almost seems to be, too good to be true. How does one know if they are a suitable replacement?Your glow plugs are in spec:
You need to do a compression test.
This engine does not have rebuildable injectors, they can be tested but not worth it.
You can buy new injectors for cheaper than testing.
View attachment 146237

Yep, my 2850 has the same injectors, which is why I askedYou've got to be careful, this is one time that the "rules" don't apply.
The injectors for this engine are not the same injectors as 95% (guess) of all kubota engines.
This tractor and a few others in the same time frame used Pencil injectors and not Cartridge injectors.
Pencil injectors typically are considered non rebuildable, even though some they have rebuilt ones.
Pencil Injectors:
It's still possible, but I've have very few bad off the shelf of these type injectors.
View attachment 146287
Cartridge injectors:
A lot of these injectors are bad from sellers.
View attachment 146288
UMMMM, that's the exact opposite of what they normally do.One thing to keep in mind is that the D-1402 engine in your L2550 is a direct injection engine.
Since I've had my L2500, with its D-1403 indirect injection engine, I've been amazed at how easily it starts, in any weather, even the coldest.
That's in GREAT contrast to the freshly rebuilt 12V Cummins engine in my truck, which is direct injection. Below 20F, it will not start without pre-heat of the intake charge.
Just saying, you may be a victim of the cylinder head design in your tractor.
-Paul
Looks like a glow plug indicator.Ok, back to trying to fix this. I think the 6.7 volts I'm seeing at the glow plugs is too low to heat them. So I guess I need to chase the voltage through the circuit and see where I'm losing it. Also need to check voltage at the GP when they aren't turned on to see what I get.
What compression tester type is used on this engine?
Anybody know what this chrome thing in the pic is?
That's what I thought it looked like but this tractor has the dummy lights below the gauges which I thought meant it wouldn't have a mechanical indicator as well.Looks like a glow plug indicator.
Is it wired to the glow plugs?
Give me the tractors serial number.That's what I thought it looked like but this tractor has the dummy lights below the gauges which I thought meant it wouldn't have a mechanical indicator as well.
I'm digging into where it's wired to now.
Here you go.Give me the tractors serial number.
^^^^Ok, back to trying to fix this. I think the 6.7 volts I'm seeing at the glow plugs is too low to heat them. So I guess I need to chase the voltage through the circuit and see where I'm losing it. Also need to check voltage at the GP when they aren't turned on to see what I get.
What compression tester type is used on this engine?
Anybody know what this chrome thing in the pic is?
12.79v battery key off, 12.2v battery when turned to preheat, 11.2v battery when cranking, 6.2v glow plugs when preheating.Using NIW post #23, check the wiring.
Put DVM/DMM set to volts on the glowplug 'bus' and ground
Turn key to 'start', you should read 10-12 volts.
Then put meter on battery and do same, what is the voltage ?
Well there's possibly your problem 2 fold!!The indicator reads 0.78v during preheat, 0v otherwise. It does not ever glow, did preheat for 25 seconds to verify.
One side is wired directly to the key switch to the pin that says Gr or G1 maybe, it's hard to see. It's a black wire with a red stripe. The other side is grounded.
