L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The tractor, The comparison, The modification, The results...

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I personally believe the EGT's need to be monitored to ensure engine health and longevity. I say this because when mowing steep hills through tall grass, tilling, running a wood chipper, snow blowing, or spinning a 15kW PTO generator we're recording fluctuating loads and EGT's ranging anywhere from 600-1,100 degrees.
The highest EGT we recorded was actually on the PTO dyno which was 1,185 degrees.

I don't feel this mod is a 'set it and forget it' type of modification especially considering it'll be 'self tuned' and folks are messing with their factory fuel delivery settings. I believe it's good practice to continue to monitor EGT's when the fuel settings have been changed (Turbo or N/A).

Now, if you're installing the Turbo Kit solely for altitude compensation and you're not adjusting the factory fuel settings, then yeah, you're probably okay not monitoring EGT. But, I'd still recommend it just for the sole reason...it's a wise thing to do.

Mike
Hey, Mike, been following your odyssey, and YES, EGT is a major concern. Sustained loads at >1000F can easily melt pistons. And, just a few continuous minutes will do it.

The most obvious 'first step' in dealing with that issue is to impose an intercooler.

At that auction I was at last week, that L2550 was MOST tempting, as it offered up the D1402-DI motor to the world's turbocharging wisdom... <sigh>

Thanks,
-Paul

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Hi Mike:

Good call on the EGT monitoring. I am building a gauge set that will include this critical measurement.

I am about to order my turbo and get started on this mod, but I do have one further question: Being that I am at ~8000' altitude, I am wondering if the TD025 turbocharger is big enough to handle the task, since I am already down 3 to 4 PSI from sea level (+14.7 PSI). In your opinion, do you think I may need to go up a size or two?

Solo
Yes, really really like the new gauge setup. Highly recommend it.

And yes, I 100% still suggest the TD025 with your engine. It’ll supply more than enough air, velocity and volume as elevation compensation and a huge power boost if you decide to push the psi and fuel delivery. With a larger engine, say 2.0L, I’d suggest going with the TD03.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Hey, Mike, been following your odyssey, and YES, EGT is a major concern. Sustained loads at >1000F can easily melt pistons. And, just a few continuous minutes will do it.

The most obvious 'first step' in dealing with that issue is to impose an intercooler.

At that auction I was at last week, that L2550 was MOST tempting, as it offered up the D1402-DI motor to the world's turbocharging wisdom... <sigh>

Thanks,
-Paul
Throughout my research, it’s sustained combustion temperatures of 1,300 degrees that will begin degrading the pistons. If 1,000 degrees was the threshold for melting pistons, lots of L2501 operators in the high elevations would be experiencing engine damage since stock, unmodified D1703’s create 1,000 degree EGT’s due to the thin air and factory fuel settings. Shocking, yes!

Most folks don’t realize what thin air and factory fuel setting are capable of and why I also recommend folks modifying their tractors with a simple fuel adjustment should also monitor their EGT’s since they are effectively doing the same thing. High EGT’s are NOT just from Turbocharging!

Ironically, those L2501 operators in the high elevations buying this Turbo kit (and not modifying fuel settings) will see a significant power improvement and lower EGT’s.

That said, anyone installing this Turbo setup needs to be aware and constantly monitor their EGT’s. My L2501 has been ran over 1,000 degree EGT sustained for well over an hour on multiple occasions during testing. However, during normal operation, the tractor and Turbo system rarely sees EGT’s over 600 since it doesn’t need to work hard to accomplish the same tasks as before. It’s remarkable how much power is available with only a 20% load.

Regarding the intercooler. The effectiveness would be dependent on the type of intercooler that is used. An air to air would have a limited effect as air flow through the intercooler would be limited. An air/water intercooler would likely be the most effective setup but, would be a bit more complicated and expensive to install. The other option would be to use a water/meth injection system. This would be the cheapest solution and perhaps easiest to install. I’ve used water/meth systems in quite a few of my vehicles with amazing results with enormous reductions in air temperatures. Those kits have also worked extremely well on the racetrack. I may experiment with this option but, we really don’t expect too much of a performance improvement. Although, it should lower EGT’s in heavy, sustained load situations.

Mike

Last edited:

Hahnsolo

Equipment
B2650 Tractor, B2782B Snow Blower
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Thanks for the confirmation Mike I will be ordering my turbo shortly.

You are absolutely correct about exhaust gas temperatures at high elevations with factory fuel settings.

I implemented a digital EGT gauge and tested my engine under load during one of the heaviest winters on record this year. With a B2782 snow blower attached, I would see temps between 600 to 900 degrees if I didn't push it. If I really started loading it up, the engine rpm would drop and exhaust temps would skyrocket over 1000 degrees, all the while putting out a dark black cloud of smoke. Here is the simple truth:

IF YOU ARE ROLLING COAL (PUSHING BLACK SMOKE), YOUR EXHAUST GAS TEMPS ARE GOING UP!

As I progress through my turbo conversion I will post results for EGT when I get to that point. I've got a long way to go just to get to that point, however. LOL

Thanks for all your help and advice. I'm afraid I'm going to be leaning on you in the next few months working through my own turbo project. Much appreciated.

Solo

Reactions: 1 users

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Hi Mike:

I am having some trouble finding the exact turbocharger model I need for my upgrade. I know the base part number is a Mitsubishi TD025M-05T, which is spec'd for Kubota, however, there are several sub part-numbers that I can't find answers for. Specifically:

TD025M-05T/2.8
TD025M-05T/3.3

What specifically is the difference between the "2.8" suffix and the "3.3"? Does it even matter?

Do you know what part number you put on yours? Thanks for your help.

Solo

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Hi Mike:

I am having some trouble finding the exact turbocharger model I need for my upgrade. I know the base part number is a Mitsubishi TD025M-05T, which is spec'd for Kubota, however, there are several sub part-numbers that I can't find answers for. Specifically:

TD025M-05T/2.8
TD025M-05T/3.3

What specifically is the difference between the "2.8" suffix and the "3.3"? Does it even matter?

Do you know what part number you put on yours? Thanks for your help.

Solo
I’m more than happy to help you out with your Turbo project and the results will definitely be worth your effort.

We’re using the Kubota #1A024-17016 (TD025L-03C).

I don’t know exactly what the difference is between the suffix numbers, but it may have to do with the orientation of the compression housing to the inlet and outlet of the turbocharger (clocking). Basically, they’re the same turbocharger and since you’re fabricating the system from scratch, the orientation of the compressor housing shouldn’t be an issue.

Edit: the suffix numbers may also indicate which actuator/wastegate is pre installed on the turbocharger assembly.

Mike

Last edited:

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
I’m more than happy to help you out with your Turbo project and the results will definitely be worth your effort.

We’re using the Kubota #1A024-17016 (TD025L-03C).

I don’t know exactly what the difference is between the suffix numbers, but it may have to do with the orientation of the compression housing to the inlet and outlet of the turbocharger (clocking). Basically, they’re the same turbocharger and since you’re fabricating the system from scratch, the orientation of the compressor housing shouldn’t be an issue.

Edit: the suffix numbers may also indicate which actuator/wastegate is pre installed on the turbocharger assembly.

Mike
Received my turbocharger today. OMG this thing is tiny! Almost looks like a toy, but it’s built rock solid. Mike, is the compressor output supposed to be less than inch in diameter?

Attachments

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Received my turbocharger today. OMG this thing is tiny! Almost looks like a toy, but it’s built rock solid. Mike, is the compressor output supposed to be less than inch in diameter?
Excellent! Congrats!
Yes, they are TINY and extremely well built!!! And, believe it or not, depending on which variation you got, it can support up to 90 HP. Pretty amazing!

Yes. Those are the correct dimensions for the inlet/outlet.

Mike

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Thanks Mike. I really thought they sent me the wrong thing. LOL. Looks like it's time to open a new thread and get this party started!

Solo

Reactions: 1 users

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Hey Mike -

I had ordered a muffler flange to bolt up the exhaust to the turbocharger, but when I received it I realized it was way too big for the TD025. Did you find a muffler flange to fit your turbo, or custom-machine one? If so, could you please post some pics? Thanks.

Regards,

Solo

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Hey Mike -

I had ordered a muffler flange to bolt up the exhaust to the turbocharger, but when I received it I realized it was way too big for the TD025. Did you find a muffler flange to fit your turbo, or custom-machine one? If so, could you please post some pics? Thanks.

Regards,

Solo
Are you referring to the Turbo outlet flange?

IMG_8687.jpeg

#3?

If, so, we made our own custom flanges for the L2501 Turbo Kit. However, you may be able to buy/source one from eBay or, if you strike out….you can get one from me.

Mike

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Yes, I need the TD-025M exhaust outlet. I have searched all over the internet and have had no luck finding one. If I had a part number I think I'd have better luck. Do you know what the P/N is?

Edit: BTW, the "TD-025 IN" drawing in your previous message has an error. Measuring my actual turbocharger inlet shows the hole spacing to be 47mm, not 44mm.

Solo

Last edited:

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Yes, I need the TD-025M exhaust outlet. I have searched all over the internet and have had no luck finding one. If I had a part number I think I'd have better luck. Do you know what the P/N is?

Edit: BTW, the "TD-025 IN" drawing in your previous message has an error. Measuring my actual turbocharger inlet shows the hole spacing to be 47mm, not 44mm.

Solo
I posted that picture just for reference...it was the first illustration I found online...

The issues with using an off-the-shelf OEM part is that it might not fit your application in the way you want. Did you investigate # 16496-12320 ?

Edit: Yeah, I'm not having much luck finding a universal flange online. I swear there we some options available when I started this adventure. Nonetheless, if you need a flange, I can get you one.

Mike

Last edited:

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Thanks for the reply Mike. The ONLY thing I can find is the aforementioned 16496-12320 muffler flange, but I am concerned that the outlet faces sideways when installed instead of upward as I need. As you mentioned, just because it may fit doesn't mean it will work.

That being said, what do you have available as an option? Are they parts that you have to machine? If so, what is the cost and the lead time? I have access to design software and a CNC machine so I can do it myself if needed, but I'll look at your option first. Thanks.

Solo

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Thanks for the reply Mike. The ONLY thing I can find is the aforementioned 16496-12320 muffler flange, but I am concerned that the outlet faces sideways when installed instead of upward as I need. As you mentioned, just because it may fit doesn't mean it will work.

That being said, what do you have available as an option? Are they parts that you have to machine? If so, what is the cost and the lead time? I have access to design software and a CNC machine so I can do it myself if needed, but I'll look at your option first. Thanks.

Solo
Yes, we're machining our own Turbo discharge flanges from plate steel and welding the stainless steel pipe to it to create our down pipe and exhaust. Do you just need the flange? Or, do you need a flange/down pipe housing? I'd need to see pictures of your project to see if what we have will work. But, if you have access to a CNC machine, that may be your best option since you can design and machine precisely what you need.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Thanks Mike. You're probably right; I think I'll just machine my own.

Solo
I will be posting up some detailed pictures of the L2501 Turbo Kit and components soon.

Here's a picture of the L2501 Turbocharger assembly w/ down pipe and exhaust and the intake and charge pipes;
S2TPipes.jpg

Mike

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Looks great! Are you going to be selling these kits?
Well, the L2501 Turbo Kit pictured above.....is not mine!
And is currently on its way to an eagerly awaiting L2501 owner!

Mike