L2501 Battery.

Johnacman

Equipment
Kubota L2501 & B7100
Jul 26, 2019
Independance, La. US
New member here. I picked up a 3yr old L2501 4x4 today and a couple of times it did not want to start. Turned over really slow. What size battery does this tractor take and is there any other thing to check. Thanks in advance.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Only three years old it's probably the original so just get the same size group which should be marked on it (such as "25R"). Specs in the manual are 12v, RC : 123 min, CCA 490 A.
When you install it I'd suggest attaching a Battery Tender lead and just plug it in to a charger ($39 Battery Tender Junior is what I use) every few weeks.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Looks like a group 24 battery to me. Quick search shows your tractor has a 75d26r battery. If you can get the jis number on the battery you can cross it to a standard group number.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Before you jump to a new battery, I''d be sure you need to. Maybe that battery has set a while and needs a charge. Maybe you have bad connections at the battery terminals. Or maybe a bad/dirty ground connection where the ground wire connects to the frame. Maybe you charging system needs some attention, like a loose belt.....

I've had original Kubota batteries last near 10 years!

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Johnacman

Equipment
Kubota L2501 & B7100
Jul 26, 2019
Independance, La. US
Took the battery to the parts store and had it tested. Tested good. Cleaned the terminals and ground/frame spot and it fired right up. Thanks for the tips.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Before you jump to a new battery, I''d be sure you need to. Maybe that battery has set a while and needs a charge. Maybe you have bad connections at the battery terminals. Or maybe a bad/dirty ground connection where the ground wire connects to the frame. Maybe you charging system needs some attention, like a loose belt.....

I've had original Kubota batteries last near 10 years!

By the way, welcome to the forum.
So have I. The Yuhasa batteries that Kubota installs are good ones.

One thing I do with both my tractors is, I install a knife switch on the negative post of the battery so when I'm not using the tractors like in the winter, I disconnect the battery from the circuit. Flooded cell batteries, when fully charged, will hold their charge for months so I make sure there is no parasitic drain by breaking the circuit.

Not sure that would work for the new electronic controlled ones, but it works for my old school tractors.

Because I leave at least one unattended when haying (one stays by my remote hayfields), I open the knife switch so it won't start if anyone decides to fool with it. Barring someone fiddling with the fuel (never had that happen), I feel disabling the battery insures that the tractor will be there when I need it.