Kubota BX2380 Switch does not stop engine.

The Village Idiot

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 22, 2021
Waters, Michigan
My 2380 was bought new, has about 150 hrs and has been trouble free. I drove into the woods to cut some trees and everything worked until I pulled in the shop to shut it off. It just kept running. I manually shut the fuel solenoid off. I tested the solenoid, the timer relay. and every fuse. All were fine. That leaves the OPC which is in a nearly impossible place to reach. I think that will probably be OK, but have not tested it. Is there anything under the tractor that I might have messed up driving over small 1/2" saplings? Other suggestions? I am about ready to give up and just use a wire to connect to the solenoid and into the cab to manually shut down the tractor. 3Three days fooling with it is enough.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Electrical issues are FAR from my expertise, but only thing I would suggest is checking the key switch itself.

Seems to be frequent issue with BX tractors.

A failed/failing OPC would seem to fault to a non-start/no-run condition to me. That said, point to my first comment.....

I'd start with the switch.

The Village Idiot

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 22, 2021
Waters, Michigan
Electrical issues are FAR from my expertise, but only thing I would suggest is checking the key switch itself.

Seems to be frequent issue with BX tractors.

A failed/failing OPC would seem to fault to a non-start/no-run condition to me. That said, point to my first comment.....

I'd start with the switch.

The Village Idiot

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 22, 2021
Waters, Michigan
DUH! Let's see now, If i turn the switch off and the tractor keeps running wouldn't a normal guy check the switch first? There is a reason my user name is "The Village Idiot." Thanks for the help in not over thinking the problem. Will check it out. Thanks for your suggestion. Called two different dealers and neither one suggested checking the switch.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Check the ground path of the solenoid, I recall threads that stated the case is sometimes the ground path and that path fails. Clean the mounting method or add direct ground wire to the battery to solenoid and see if problem goes away.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Im not going to discredit rcw any, but I would not go ordering a switch yet. Would be the last thing I would suspect with that new of a tractor. You said you were in some tall stuff, follow all wiring harnesses very closely, I suspect you will find damage somewhere or a connection pulled loose.

Last edited:

The Village Idiot

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 22, 2021
Waters, Michigan
Check the ground path of the solenoid, I recall threads that stated the case is sometimes the ground path and that path fails. Clean the mounting method or add direct ground wire to the battery to solenoid and see if problem goes away.
Thanks for the suggestion. The solenoid is fine. I ran a hot wire to it and it closes and reopens with no problem. I also used the solenoid to test the timer relay and it worked the solenoid like it should. It has to be some little thing, but finding it is a pain. I really appreciate the response from all you orange tractor guys. Thanks!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Running hot wires to components tests them, but you bypass the issue. You have tested components but not the WIRING!

With a wiring diagram (which available for free) a volt meter and a test light, you could be dangerous 😁

The Village Idiot

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 22, 2021
Waters, Michigan
Running hot wires to components tests them, but you bypass the issue. You have tested components but not the WIRING!

With a wiring diagram (which available for free) a volt meter and a test light, you could be dangerous 😁
I have the wire diagram, a volt meter, but I am going to need a lot more energy to be real dangerous, unless someone trips over me. Your point is well taken regarding bypassing wire harness.
It took a mirror to look up under the dash to locate the OPC relay. I have no idea how to remove the bolt that holds it on.
It sounds a lot easier in the Repair Manual. Maybe it's the big words that confused me.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Probably not YOUR problem(because you were in the woods, yanked wires are highly suspect), but something kinda similar happened to me on my TG1860 a few years ago. Nothing worked to shut the tractor off. I pulled every fuse and connection I could think of and the key was (ultimately) out of the tractor and in my pocket....dang thing kept running. I recall having to grab the fuel cutoff solenoid plunger to starve the thing of fuel to shut it off.

Turned out to be a bad ground (I think it was a ground, it's been a while)....had just kinda rotted/corroded away.

In your case, I wonder if you've pulled or broken a ground wire underneath somewhere, that at first, is not readily visible. Sticks/branches can be fierce on loose/flimsy wiring.

Good luck !

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
What does the tractor do right now? Will it start?

I realize the issue is it won’t shut off, but knowing more of what else is going on can help when looking at the wiring diagram

The Village Idiot

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 22, 2021
Waters, Michigan
What does the tractor do right now? Will it start?

I realize the issue is it won’t shut off, but knowing more of what else is going on can help when looking at the wiring diagram
Yes, it will start no problem. I just need to crawl under the tractor and see if there is a problem with wiring or relays/switches under there. But I don't have a lift and since I am an old guy (80) crawling under a tractor is no fun. An old guy once told me "You know your getting older when the second thing starts hurting before the first thing stops." So true. Thanks for taking time to respond.
TVI (the village Idiot)

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yes, it will start no problem. I just need to crawl under the tractor and see if there is a problem with wiring or relays/switches under there. But I don't have a lift and since I am an old guy (80) crawling under a tractor is no fun. An old guy once told me "You know your getting older when the second thing starts hurting before the first thing stops." So true. Thanks for taking time to respond.
TVI (the village Idiot)
does everything else seem to operate electrically?

I don’t know the tractor, but I have the wiring diagram and can maybe help pinpoint the issue. Did I see its a cab model? And can you easily access the stop solenoid timer relay (looks like its by the battery?)

Looking at the diagram, I wouldn’t be digging for the opc controller either. The problem seems it has to be wiring to or from the stop solenoid timer relay.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Another thought….And obviously do this with caution, start the tractor, stand up off the seat, and activate the hst pedal slightly (or engage PTO if its safe to do so) and see if the OPC shuts the tractor down. If it does it can narrow the focus a bit, if it doesn’t shut down I still wouldn’t go chasing the OPC just yet.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had a similar issue with my old BX once. I pulled the fuse for the fuel shut off solenoid. No change.

Wound up taking it to the dealer. The fuse panel was mislabeled. :mad: I had pulled the "wrong" fuse.

so, the advice above about checking all fuses could be your fix.

The Village Idiot

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 22, 2021
Waters, Michigan
I had a similar issue with my old BX once. I pulled the fuse for the fuel shut off solenoid. No change.

Wound up taking it to the dealer. The fuse panel was mislabeled. :mad: I had pulled the "wrong" fuse.

so, the advice above about checking all fuses could be your fix.
I really appreciate all the help you orange tractor guys provide. This has to be one of the best tractor forums. I have pulled every fuse, even the 5 amp ones, and checked them with a meter to be sure my old eyes weren't playing tricks on me. I took today off from the frustration of working on the tractor. Tomorrow I will (groan) crawl under it and check out what there is to find. If I don't find anything there I will load it up and drive 60 miles to a dealer. I had an old BX 1500 that wouldn't shut off, but that was easy to find because I could see sparking from a bare spot on a wire that blew fuses. 2 cents worth of electrical tape fixed that one. Thanks so much for taking time to help. Bless all you guys.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Your best friend when you are old is to have a very bright LED light under the tractor that you can move around as you inspect underneath looking for the problem. I have an assortment of LED flashlights, from one that is a floodlight to one that is a pencil point type of light. With those lights, I can find the small washer that I dropped on the driveway while working on something.