Not open for further replies.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I got COVID and survived it. EASILY.

If I hadn't tested for it, I wouldn't have known I had it. I've had worse URI's and problems from the dust and mold in my yard after picking up leaves or mowing grass. Once I figured out what was causing that, I got in the habit of waiting until after rain to cut grass. Made a huge difference in my sinus problems.

Had a little diarrhea on Tuesday (two weeks ago). Nothing real unusual for old people like me with aging nerves and innards, nor did it last more than a day. Had what MIGHT have been some extra aches and pains on Wednesday, but the most particular symptom that I think I had was a dull headache. Barely noticeable, but it stayed with me all day. I normally take a couple acetaminophen in the morning anyway because of neuropathy in both arms and legs, so figuring out if I have new pain is a bit of a challenge. Didn't wanna wake up Thursday. Didn't feel bad, just didn't sleep well the night before (because of the headache), so was pretty sleepy. Asked the missus to get some Quick-Vue home tests. Sure enough, popped positive, but I was the only one in the house that did. The missus and the granddaughters all had the lemming juice (Pfizer), and their 2nd boosters the same day I think I got sick. But I ain't for one minute convinced that the shots prevented anything, except maybe one of the people that came to my house that had the shot was asymptomatic and had a very false sense of security about the miracle drug that actually does very little unless you actually contract the disease. Neither me nor my doctor are convinced of the benefit of a drug that does nothing to stop the spread of disease. At least I know he's not brainwashed by left-wing media.

Went to the PCP on Friday, and yep, he confirmed I indeed had COVID. He was very pleasantly surprised at how mild my symptoms were after 3-4 days. In fact, he kept asking if I was actually having any. Gave me info about monoclonal antibody infusion and prescribed the treatment for me because I qualified (heart problems, high cholesterol, some blockage, over 60, etc, etc. etc.) Scheduled the treatment for Sunday morning. Barely got hooked up to the IV when another dude comes in about my age, and showing symptoms more than I was. Turns out, he'd had the Lemming juice back in February. Lotta good that did for him, because here he was, just like me, getting an IV. Did it prevent him from going to the hospital? Well, at this point, we'll never know, because now he's had monoclonal antibody infusion.

My smeller quit last Monday. I could taste sugar or salt, and that's about it. The advantage to that was not having to smell all the stink bugs Skeets was complaining about in another thread. (silver lining, etc). Otherwise, I still had no fever, still no cough, still no congestion. But for the benefit of the missus and the girls, I slept on the sofa, used only one bathroom, touched NOTHING in the kitchen (except my coffee cup that was about to have water boiled in it) and masked up whenever any of them were in the room. The missus got me an O2 saturation monitor and I was taking my temp every 4 hours. I hit 100.5 on Monday after getting the treatment on Sunday, but was told to expect higher, and be ready to head for the hospital if my temperature went up and stayed up. Didn't happen. Dropped back down to 96.5 that evening, and never broke 99 again, even after taking naps under my knitted blanket.

The worst part was not being able to smell my food or taste it. That'll kill your appetite quick. But I forced the grub (which I knew was actually quite tasty) down my neck just to keep nourishment in me. I added a regimen of 1000 mg Vitamin C, 1000 mg Vitamin D, and 100 mg Zinc to my usually neglectful health habits. I've been working outside all summer on my shop, so got more than my normal share of Vitamin D from the sun. I absolutely love orange juice, and several of my home brew ales have some citrus in them as well, so I probably had my vitamin C levels pegged out too. Which I'm sure contributes to occasional irregularity of the digestive system.

So, two weeks past first symptoms, and I got NADA for symptoms. Tested again Sunday night, and got a negative test. Now all I gotta do is figure out where to get my get-outta-jail-free card that says I don't need no steenking shot because I've recovered from having COVID and now have natural immunity. That's a lot harder to find than all the propaganda about the vaccine that does nothing to prevent the disease.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
In before the lock… I love an Oldpaint story 😁. Thanks for sharing your experience 👍

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
was wondering where you were hiding, glad you are better!!

Reactions: 1 user

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Too bad the 700,000 people in the US that have died from this virus couldn't read your story, isn't it?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It’s going all around my area now. Most otherwise healthy people are just sick enough to know they are sick. Most are staying home, but some aren’t. Some are being tested, and some aren’t. That’s got to do weird things to the stats.

I’m glad you are recovering.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Thanks for the well wishes, folks.

Having COVID probably had a lot less to do with my absence than turning old pallets into wall covering in my new shop. It's lookin' pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I slowed down a bit because I'm now edging everything I put up to get rid of some of the wandering edges. Rough cut and warped slats are fun to keep straight. I've also figured out that even if the board sizes are very short, if they're all the same width and all the same length, it makes it a lot easier to keep them straight and putting them up goes a lot faster than having to constantly custom fit nearly every piece. I'm still intentionally putting in some spots for that "cheap old geezer" look, but stitching the sections together is a lot easier if I don't get too carried away with different widths. Getting it finished before cold weather is becoming more important.

So far, I've invested about 50 pallets and the labor to dismantle them and cut/trim the usable pieces. I ran out of material again today, so tomorrow will be an exciting day of prying pallets apart. I'm probably 50-55 percent complete, including the front, east, and about 2/3 of the back walls. I may have enough pallets now to finish the walls. Time will tell. I don't have any more large panels like I got from the big crate my son-in-law brought me, so it's a pretty slow go. The panels from that crate covered nearly 200 square feet that I didn't have do anything but stand them up. They just happened to be exactly 10 feet on one dimension, which was perfect for my wall height. Probably going to need another box of nails as well. I have come to appreciate a pneumatic nailer. Big time!

I gotta move my lumber racks once I finish the section I'm on, and restack all the equipment in the west end in the middle bay so all I have to move is the tractor as I work. Debating on trying to lift the lumber off with the clamp-on pallet forks, but it may be a little more weight than I want hanging off the front of a LA-535 loader. I could probably use the chipper for ballast just to make sure the back end doesn't lift. 800 pounds might be stretching the capacity with the load nearly 2 feet out from the SSQA pins, and I don't doubt the spare lumber is at least 400-500 pounds worth of 2x4's. Probably safer to just handle them one at a time.

I still need to get the hardware to install my little wood burning stove. I got the missus to pick up a couple sections of stove pipe while I was quarantining last week. The stove was made by the King Stove Company in Sheffield, AL. But I have no idea WHEN. Got a little history on King, but this particular model doesn't seem to show up anywhere in my research. Of all things, the model name is Corona No. 80. Just glad the 80 wasn't 19. I split a few tons of wood for this little critter when I was a teen. Little did I know what the next time I'd see something named Corona would mean.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Too bad the 700,000 people in the US that have died from this virus couldn't read your story, isn't it?
That scary number is 0.2% of the U.S. population. Sounds a lot less scary doesn't it? Not even a whole percent!

Reactions: 4 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Glad it went well for you.

We all had it. Daughter did fine, nothing more than a cold. I had flu like symptoms and was down for about 10 days. Wife has struggled with it. She ended up having to get IVs and they were debating if she was going into the hospital or not. Currently she is on a heart monitor at home and things are starting to greatly improve for her, coming up on about 30 days since she got sick. She has been monitored by Barnes/Washington U. Covid medical group.

My sister and her family all have it, which all of them but my brother-in-law is doing well. He was taken to the emergency room yesterday and admitted.

So, for most, it is not a big a deal, for a few, it is a challenge. Like most things, when it is occurring to you or your loved ones, it is a huge deal. When it is happening to someone else, not such a big deal.

Blue280z

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 1, 2020
Canada
You are a lucky one.

The effect of Covid ranges from no symptoms (asymptomatic) to death. It is a roll of the dice. These range of symptoms are the same whether you are vaccinated or not. Vaccinations help reduce hospitalization and death probability but all can still get it and re-transmit it.

There is so much circumstantial evidence that the disease has been optimized in a lab that it should be considered as a weak bioweapon and treated as such. It is not a normal illness.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I had it the week of Thanksgiving last year. All that yummy food and I can’t taste a thing. But it was all back by Christmas. Like you, I got off pretty easy.

Because we occasionally babysit our grandkids (ages 5 and 10) I decided to get the shots. Both shots kicked my butt for a day. I was sicker from the shots than I was from the virus. At least it was only a day. Everyone else says they had no effects whatsoever. ???

I make no judgment on anybody’s decision to get or not get the vaccine. I see it as its none of my business.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hey OP you take any pictures of the wall, I would like to see how it turned out. I don;t know where you guys get your pallets around here they are like gold, even wally world and sams wont part with them

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
That scary number is 0.2% of the U.S. population. Sounds a lot less scary doesn't it? Not even a whole percent!
I agree and when you consider almost 3 million on average die per year of various causes in the US, you see the scary number isn’t as big as you might think.

• Love

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
There is so much circumstantial evidence that the disease has been optimized in a lab that it should be considered as a weak bioweapon and treated as such. It is not a normal illness.
Was there ever any doubt? The problem is, though no one seems to have the testicular fortitude to call this what it is and certainly not to respond to it. Read up on how many different flu strains have come from that region, and how far back this has been going on. It's a rather alarming read.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Hey OP you take any pictures of the wall, I would like to see how it turned out. I don;t know where you guys get your pallets around here they are like gold, even wally world and sams wont part with them
My step son is the warehouse manager for a local furniture store, so I get some irregular shaped pallets from him. Most of them are pretty narrow, but also tend to be long meaning lots of slats. My son-in-law does construction/demolition work, and he happened up on a couple hundred pallets in a refractory plant that is revamping it's site that were just going to get thrown away. They're a little wider (full 48 inches versus 45 inches) than most of what goes to retail stores, which is handy for getting across 3 studs on 16" centers. When I bought my siding, I got a couple really long (12.5 feet) pallets from the siding folks. Those had a bit of material in them

I've posted some photos of the early stages in my shed thread, but nothing recently I've done nearly 2/3 of the back wall since I posted last. Just me working by myself with both the pallet demolition and putting up the material as wall covering, so there's no danger of a miracle finish, short of getting it done before it gets me done.I'll try to get some photos today and update the shed thread.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I make no judgment on anybody’s decision to get or not get the vaccine. I see it as its none of my business.
I make no judgement either, other than on those that are trying to FORCE the world around them to capitulate to their way of thinking and the politicians that seem to forget WHO employs WHOM. I tease my family a little about lemming like behavior, but I actually leave that decision completely up to them as long as they leave me alone about it. Now that they're facing possible 6 month boosters (for untold duration), some have 'rethunk' their position about the shot. Logic and the ability to use it, and what I believe to still be my personal right to decide what is injected into my body make me aver the freebie gubmint juice. That it actually does NOTHING to stop the spread of the disease nor in any way kill the disease is why I don't want it. The drugs have their own set of risks and have caused death as well. I simply cannot bring myself to let the gubmint inject me with something just because they say so. What other people do is not my business either, because I'm not foolish enough to think that them having that so-called vaccine is doing a damn thing to protect me. When they try to make me think the way they do, though, it gets to be my business when they won't get outta my face and leave me be.

As stupid as things have gotten here in the US, though, it could be far worse. It could be armed police at state borders and preventing folks from being more than 5 kilometers from home. One of the very first things Adolf Hitler did was restrict movement of the populations in order to learn who was where. It turned out very badly for the whole world when the German population capitulated to the rule of an Austrian madman. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Reactions: 2 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Dull headache, joint paint, diarrhea????.........wow, apparently I've had COVID for the last 10 years then. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Each year, about 650,000 people in the US die from heart disease. Each year, and additional 600,000 die from cancer in the US. Even though this has been going on for years, I still don't see mandated fruits and vegetables, nor do I see fast food or tobacco banned. That "700,000" number is for 18 months, not 12, and there are numerous reports of people being listed as "Covid" when in fact their cause of death was something else.

It is impossible to deny the vaccine, and indeed the virus itself, has not become a highly politically charged issue. Given that several states are OK with doctor assisted suicide, it seems strange those same state governments are fine with you choosing to kill yourself however you are not allowed to NOT take a vaccine. Despite data showing that the vaccine loses efficacy over time, and still allows a person to become infected with, as well as transmit the virus...the government insists everyone must take it. This is in light of an overall survivability rate of over 98%. And for some strange reason, the government has refused to promote treatment drugs that have proven to be effective in other countries and indeed even within the US. They also refuse to acknowledge natural immunity, which obviously many Americans have acquired.

I believe that a product as good as the vaccines are claimed to be should sell itself. As a free people, we have the right to accept or reject anything we put in our body. Something that must be "mandated" must have some potential negatives serious enough for people to reconsider. While I hope the vaccines are a success and don't have long term effects, I won't be taking it. I've already had Covid, and there are too many red flags that seem unnatural about this vaccine...mainly, the fact that it doesn't seem to work that well and the fact that the government is so bent on making everyone get it.

• Love

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Each year, about 650,000 people in the US die from heart disease. Each year, and additional 600,000 die from cancer in the US. Even though this has been going on for years, I still don't see mandated fruits and vegetables, nor do I see fast food or tobacco banned. That "700,000" number is for 18 months, not 12, and there are numerous reports of people being listed as "Covid" when in fact their cause of death was something else.

It is impossible to deny the vaccine, and indeed the virus itself, has not become a highly politically charged issue. Given that several states are OK with doctor assisted suicide, it seems strange those same state governments are fine with you choosing to kill yourself however you are not allowed to NOT take a vaccine. Despite data showing that the vaccine loses efficacy over time, and still allows a person to become infected with, as well as transmit the virus...the government insists everyone must take it. This is in light of an overall survivability rate of over 98%. And for some strange reason, the government has refused to promote treatment drugs that have proven to be effective in other countries and indeed even within the US. They also refuse to acknowledge natural immunity, which obviously many Americans have acquired.

I believe that a product as good as the vaccines are claimed to be should sell itself. As a free people, we have the right to accept or reject anything we put in our body. Something that must be "mandated" must have some potential negatives serious enough for people to reconsider. While I hope the vaccines are a success and don't have long term effects, I won't be taking it. I've already had Covid, and there are too many red flags that seem unnatural about this vaccine...mainly, the fact that it doesn't seem to work that well and the fact that the government is so bent on making everyone get it.

This is one of the most thoughtful, insightful, cogent, pragmatic, honest, sincere, and forthright posts on this whole fiasco we are all going through right now that I have ever read. Too bad it's all going to get erased when the moderator shows up. I screen-grabbed it so I could rob your eloquent words!

Status
Not open for further replies.