hydraulic issues BX23

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman, I'm well aware of that. I had the very same tractor BX23D (2006, TLBM). I specifically looked for the loader manual (LA210) for a BX23D. So, all good here.
This is just semantics, but it is the way Kubota designates them:
But In your case it's a MLB (mower loader backhoe model) A TLB would be a B21 in that same era. ;)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Unable to depress pin to release pressure. I suppose the pressure builds up and takes time to release with the ideal that implements do not lower on their own. But, otoh, that hose would not re-attach and I think it should be able to, so I'm puzzled.

TG
Did you try moving the loader control stick in all directions (with engine off)? That should equalize the pressure. If you are still having trouble getting the couplings to connect, try cracking open the male end fitting on loader control valve side.

as Wolfman posted above, swap out the two lines and see if your trouble (not being able to lower the loader) creates a dump/curl issue instead.

Just so that we are clear, do you currently have the BH installed on the tractor and connected hydraulically? If that is the case, you have to disconnect the back hoe circuit in order to raise/lower the three point and mower. When doing so, you need to connect the supply hose coming out of tractor, to the return on the tractor. Make sure you do this before starting the tractor.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
You need to do as I said and swap lift for curl to find out if it's an issue with the valve or disconnect or if it's an issue with the cylinder itself.
All signs are pointing to a valve issue.
How do I find out which hose is the lift and which is the curl?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You need to do as I said and swap lift for curl to find out if it's an issue with the valve or disconnect or if it's an issue with the cylinder itself.
NIW will you please state what color hose connects to what color tractor side connector?

I don’t think that Tractor Gal has been able to figure lift and curl color codes

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
NIW will you please state what color hose connects to what color tractor side connector?

I don’t think that Tractor Gal has been able to figure lift and curl color codes
Not exactly, Russell, but you're on the right track with what I need to know. Maybe you could tell me which color hose does what function?

TG

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not exactly, Russell, but you're on the right track with what I need to know. Maybe you could tell me which color hose does what function?

TG
Sorry but I don’t have any clue about that, my tractor is old and has no front end loader or back hoe. If I didn’t ask the correct question then please post a more exact request and someone will answer.

You may look at each line to see where they go. Lift should go to cylinders that pick up the loader bucket and curl will connect to the cylinders that dump the bucket by rotating the bucket (like into a truck bed)

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Sorry but I don’t have any clue about that, my tractor is old and has no front end loader or back hoe. If I didn’t ask the correct question then please post a more exact request and someone will answer.

You may look at each line to see where they go. Lift should go to cylinders that pick up the loader bucket and curl will connect to the cylinders that dump the bucket by rotating the bucket (like into a truck bed)
I understand your spot. Question: what color hose does what function. I can't seem to follow the hoses to their destination because they are not always visible...they are out of sight in some places. I see the blue and red at the middle of the bucket so perhaps that means they dump? The white and yellow may be lift and lower?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I understand your spot. Question: what color hose does what function. I can't seem to follow the hoses to their destination because they are not always visible...they are out of sight in some places. I see the blue and red at the middle of the bucket so perhaps that means they dump? The white and yellow may be lift and lower?
I believe that is correct

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
A bad quick disconnect or linkage issue can both cause erratic loader reactions.
Address the Quick disconnect first.

To test if the disconnect is the issue, swap the dump lines (2) for the lift lines (2) and see if the erratic operation follows it from lift to dump.
I have swapped lines in the best way that I think should be done. Switched the top two...white and blue and the bottom two...white and red. Upon start up, the loader bucket would not lift much, approximately 3 inches and that was slow. Lowering was even slower but when it was on the garage floor, it kept trying to go down so the front of the tractor was slightly lifted. No response to tilt or curl.

I then wanted to remove the 4 hoses. The yellow hose that is now on the red connector will not release. That is the one that has had high pressure and I couldn't get it off on Friday. Even trying to move the joystick around to release pressure brought only a slight release of pressure. It will take a while for the pressure to release before I can get it off.

The backhoe controls did not respond at all and I didn't go further with that nor did I try to raise the mower.

Any thoughts at this point would be appreciated. Thank you for taking time to help.

TG

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sound like you have a failure inside the Spool valve (FEL control valve).
Or could be in the actual Quick disconnect side that is on the valve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have swapped lines in the best way that I think should be done. Switched the top two...white and blue and the bottom two...white and red.
Just to clarify
Did you swap Blue, red (which are a set for dump) with the white, yellow set (which is for the lift)?
and when you did that did the controls swap too? lift for dump and vis versa?

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Just to clarify
Did you swap Blue, red (which are a set for dump) with the white, yellow set (which is for the lift)?
and when you did that did the controls swap too? lift for dump and vis versa?
Top two are #1 white and#2 blue. I traded those two so white went to #2 and blue to #1. #3 Red swapped to position #4 where yellow should be.

The control had no tilt at all this time; prior to the swap, there was tilt. The lift was sluggish at best. I took it up about 3". Upon lowering, it was very slow to go down and when it finally touched the garage floor, it lifted the tractor front tires slightly.

A lot of pressure remained in yellow hose AND also remained in blue hose. On the swap, blue was at the top as #1 and yellow went to #3 position instead of at the bottom.

The joystick doesn't "feel" different but there doesn't seem any response. The little response that is present is just a slight jerk to go down, maybe 1/4" at a time but it takes a delay (30 seconds or more) to get it to respond again.

You mention a "spool valve (FEL control valve) or maybe the disconnect on the valve. I have the Operator Manual...little help...and the WSM. I do not see much in the WSM about the hydraulics. Where can I find info about this spool valve, etc., or at least to look at a diagram to see what is involved?

Thank you for trying to help. I, too, am trying very hard to understand. To get the tractor to a repair shop could be a problem
with no hydraulics operational.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A picture of the valve and hose setup would make sure we don't have a communication issue.

The quickest test/ fix is to remove the quick disconnects from White and Yellow off the valve side, not the hose side and swap them for the Blue red disconnects on the valve side.

Then do the same to the hose side, keep note of where the yellow set ends up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm hoping you have a bad disconnect on the Yellow or White line.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
A picture of the valve and hose setup would make sure we don't have a communication issue.

The quickest test/ fix is to remove the quick disconnects from White and Yellow off the valve side, not the hose side and swap them for the Blue red disconnects on the valve side.
Bear with me NIW. I do not understand. I have removed the quick disconnects that are on the flat panel just below the joy stick, beside the engine casing on the right side of the tractor. I do not know where any other quick disconnects are.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Bear with me NIW. I do not understand. I have removed the quick disconnects that are on the flat panel just below the joy stick, beside the engine casing on the right side of the tractor. I do not know where any other quick disconnects are.
quick disconnects below joystick.jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hopefully this will help everyone. This is my BX...it has the snowblower on now, so I'm not using the Blue/Red (curl) circuit and they're capped.

The White/Yellow are the lift circuit.

EBAFD859-C60E-4DF7-B982-67726CAC41D2.jpeg

Last edited: