Household Appliance Maintenance: Share Your Successes and Failures

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Rust in Peace...
Yeah, my theory is still pump and/or circuit board are shot.

Either way, I’m not putting the effort in a 15 year old washer.

Sad that the life expectancy is so short in this “modern” era.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I had to replace the lid switch on my SEARS washer last week. Took two days to get the switch but about an hour to put it in. Internet was very helpful.

Only problem was that I forgot to plug new switch into the connector so no joy at first but only two screws to remove to get access and plug it in. Now everything is working again.

It is 37 years old. Makes some odd noises sometimes but so do I!

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I had to replace the lid switch on my SEARS washer last week. Took two days to get the switch but about an hour to put it in. Internet was very helpful.

Only problem was that I forgot to plug new switch into the connector so no joy at first but only two screws to remove to get access and plug it in. Now everything is working again.

It is 37 years old. Makes some odd noises sometimes but so do I!
We don’t swap appliances for a fad or boredom. We do so when they are no longer in a useful and reliable condition. I typically repair them myself.

Believe me, I prefer those days. We’ve had many appliances with many years of service.

Where I came from, 15 years was still considered kind of new…..not end of life. I’ve had nearly every modern appliance in the house apart for repairs in recent years. Didn’t work that way 30 years ago.

We went through a couple major house renovations 15-16 years ago. Everything from boiler to toilets got “modernized”.

I’ve learned modernized is not necessarily “improved,” depending on how one defines improved.

I hate to mention it, but our upright freezer is likely a 30-35 (?) year veteran…forget I said that…😉

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
My latest attempt at repair was a Venmar Heat Recovery Ventilator. Damn thing has been a PITA since it was installed, some due to improper installation. Replaced a damper motor a couple years ago. Now blower motor bearings have failed. New motor is $400. Needless to say it’s not getting a new motor, and the ductwork has been disabled. Not too impressed with Venmar.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
While it made me whimper, hopefully I’ve kicked the can down the road a little.

Bosch dishwasher. While I had the old Bosch apart many times over the years, it was a good machine.

This one is not one of the fancy series like the old one, but seems to be pretty good. Amazing how quiet it is.

IMG_3378.jpeg

Second GE Refrigerator. The “beer” fridge in the garage is a GE. Seems to be a good one.

The owner of the appliance store said there’s no such thing as a good ice maker. Repeatedly replaced the ice maker on the Maytag/Whirlpool fridge. The Whirlpool had some problems over the years as well.
IMG_3401.jpeg