Grill guard pricing

Overleaf

Equipment
Grand L6060
Oct 14, 2023
North MS
Shipping isn't free.

I've changed my thinking into "how much time and money would I need in order to pick up the item myself" before deciding if paid shipping is too expensive or worth paying for the convenience.

It pisses me off when customers expect free shipping. Amazon won't be free shipping forever. Eventually Amazone won't find people willing to work as a contractor for below minimum wages and spending their own gas money and maintenance and repairs in order to give you "free" shipping.

I don't know how they find people willing to work for free. Maybe I should be buying some "Temporary Foreign Workers".
Wasn't looking for free shipping, just reasonable shipping costs.

Thanks for replying.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Wasn't looking for free shipping, just reasonable shipping costs.

Thanks for replying.
That’s a great tractor you got there. For what it’s worth I ordered my Lown grill guard and chin guard just after I called KTAC that I had an oopsie….(oopsie happened to me while brush cutting in REVERSE…right up through chin, not the grill…grill guard would not have helped). Good news is KTAC was great. I’m now very biased based on my previous failure, but I’d recommend finding the complete armor package that works/fits together for your machine and your uses (meaning if wanting the chin and grill guard both)…I’d get the kit of armor from same place. ☕

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I know, not seeing the forest for the trees. I suppose the price of the guard is much less than the price of a radiator. Just $106 shipping for a 18# $289 part seemed ridiculous.

I do have fluid ballast in tires.

Plus just wanted to see what other options were recommended from folks that have been there.

Thanks for the reply.
I am on your side!
83 years old, and enough $ to get me through to the end.
$106, shipping for an 18lb. $289 part, would certainly stick in my craw too!
Messick's is my favorite parts source ( I have Kubota and Ford, with Messick's selling parts for both).
Based on principle,....... I would very likely not buy that particular 18 lb. part from Messick's.

Edit: Can a quality grill guard actually weigh only 18# ???

Last edited:

Overleaf

Equipment
Grand L6060
Oct 14, 2023
North MS
That’s a great tractor you got there. For what it’s worth I ordered my Lown grill guard and chin guard just after I called KTAC that I had an oopsie….(oopsie happened to me while brush cutting in REVERSE…right up through chin, not the grill…grill guard would not have helped). Good news is KTAC was great. I’m now very biased based on my previous failure, but I’d recommend finding the complete armor package that works/fits together for your machine and your uses (meaning if wanting the chin and grill guard both)…I’d get the kit of armor from same place. ☕
Thanks for your input. Great advice. Hadn't thought I needed a chin guard. But being a neophyte that's one of the reasons I'm seeking advice on this forum. Nothing like experience to expand knowledge. Lown's seems to be the frontrunner so far so I'll look into their products closer.

I got the KTAC insurance as well. Heard its well worth it.

Overleaf

Equipment
Grand L6060
Oct 14, 2023
North MS
I am on your side!
83 years old, and enough $ to get me through to the end.
$106, shipping for an 18lb. $289 part, would certainly stick in my craw too!
Messick's is my favorite parts source ( I have Kubota and Ford, with Messick's selling parts for both).
Based on principle,....... I would very likely not buy that particular 18 lb. part from Messick's.

Edit: Can a quality grill guard actually weigh only 18# ???
Thanks, Fried. Glad someone feels the same way. I'm sure I'll spend more than that but it is the principle in my mind.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks for your input. Great advice. Hadn't thought I needed a chin guard. But being a neophyte that's one of the reasons I'm seeking advice on this forum. Nothing like experience to expand knowledge. Lown's seems to be the frontrunner so far so I'll look into their products closer.

I got the KTAC insurance as well. Heard its well worth it.
I recommend getting the Lown chain bucket instead of a chin guard. The both protect the same area, but the chain bucket is also useful for storing a 20’ chain.

Reactions: 1 user

Overleaf

Equipment
Grand L6060
Oct 14, 2023
North MS
I recommend getting the Lown chain bucket instead of a chin guard. The both protect the same area, but the chain bucket is also useful for storing a 20’ chain.
Thanks, Jyoutz. I was just researching that very issue. Looks like the chain bucket gives the benefit of chin guard with storage bonus. Is that thinking correct?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
make your own, shipping is free
In my humble opinion, This is the best looking, and best functioning grill guard I've seen. And it best matches the Kubota lines.
But being a DIY unit.... Nice fabrication @B737 !!

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks, Jyoutz. I was just researching that very issue. Looks like the chain bucket gives the benefit of chin guard with storage bonus. Is that thinking correct?
Yes. It covers the same area of the tractor, but the chain bucket has another use than just protection.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
If the guard was $395, with free shipping.
Would you buy it?

$289+$106= $395

Buy the guard that you like the looks of. Most of the grill guards are absolutely hidious looking.

I haven't found an available grill guard that I like the looks of. I live in a forest. I have a grapple. And, I'll probably make my own. Something that doesn't look like I'm going to war.

It's not a bulldozer. It's a tractor.

Counter perspective….its a machine not a sports car. I dont give a crap what it looks like as long as it protects the machine from damage.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I get it.
Counter perspective….its a machine not a sports car. I dont give a crap what it looks like as long as it protects the machine from damage.
You want a tank tractor, do this: lol
Screenshot_20231015_110414_Chrome.jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Makes total sense!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Me too!!!

But the neighbors and even the wife might be concerned about my mental place! Lol

I'll pass it off with a statement like... "Ya know, its in case the Chinese invade".

If I could afford one of those, you bet your bacon I would have one!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Me too!!!

But the neighbors and even the wife might be concerned about my mental place! Lol

I'll pass it off with a statement like... "Ya know, its in case the Chinese invade".
No no no I could pass that one off just saying we get a lot of snow up here and I need a more powerful removal tool.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
No no no I could pass that one off just saying we get a lot of snow up here and I need a more powerful removal tool.
And you wouldn't want hail to hit you in the face. Plus low branches might crack the glass. Armour is sensible.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I have a Lown guard and am happy with it, but largely wanted to chime in about the value of the guard if you have a grapple or will be working in the woods.

The other day I was moving logs/branches around and recall one sticking out perpindicular to the ones I was moving, but didn't think much of it other than setting the load down, backing up, and re-picking everything up. Then went on my way.

Later, I parked the tractor and walked around the front and noticed a big dent in my grill guard (on the thick, more stout metal -- not the expanded mesh). Not sure how I missed it happening, but it did it's job and took one for the team. Without it I'd likely be missing a headlight or have some air filter or radiator damage.

• Love

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Shipping isn't free.

I've changed my thinking into "how much time and money would I need in order to pick up the item myself" before deciding if paid shipping is too expensive or worth paying for the convenience.

It pisses me off when customers expect free shipping. Amazon won't be free shipping forever. Eventually Amazone won't find people willing to work as a contractor for below minimum wages and spending their own gas money and maintenance and repairs in order to give you "free" shipping.

I don't know how they find people willing to work for free. Maybe I should be buying some "Temporary Foreign Workers".
I agree that free shipping isn’t free, from Amazon or any other vendor. It absolutely has to be included in the price of the products (plus hidden social costs). Otherwise, yes folks are working for less or in some cases nearly free. Clearly that isn’t sustainable. At current, it would seem there is a huge amount of effort and cost being incurred getting consumers their “goods” in two or three days or less. 35 years ago it was routinely 6 to 8 weeks and then Sears or Montgomery Wards would call and tell you that you could pick up your item, which you paid a shipping charge for. Neither of them are around anymore, but I don’t think it was the shipping that did them in.

Heck in metro areas folks get their goods the same day, sometimes multiple deliveries from orders on the same day. Think of the social costs on that with demands on already overcapacity transportation systems and additional transit delays that everyone suffers. I think that “free” shipping is getting paid for in more ways than meets the eyes.

There are some delivery schemes that do probably transfer wealth of the underclass to others, such as Door Dash, and Grub Hub. Wherein folks order food others make and have it delivered to their door by folks with personal vehicles that they pay the true cost of, while the delivery company pays them just enough to defray their immediate and short term out of pocket vehicle operation costs such that the drivers actually think they are making money and being compensated for selling the value of their vehicles while doing so. I had to talk my daughters down from transferring the values of their vehicles in such a manner. One of them did it for a while and did enough of the math to realize it wasn’t real.