Glow Plug question

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
This might be a stupid question since I have zero issues starting my tractor but it has been bugging me since I keep reading it on here..

In many of the "Cold Weather Starting" threads I have read posts that say "Mine started, but it took 5-20 seconds of Glow Plugs before it did"

Question...

What does that even mean,
Do some tractors have a separate glow plug switch
Does the Glow Plug light stay on that long

Granted my tractor is in the open pole barn, we rarely get below zero (F) here, and I have a rather well thought out start system.. Even when I am lazy like right now at 28°F I can walk outside turn the key to ON watch the Glow Plug light turn on for 2-5 seconds and she will start right up

I have never had that light stay on more than 5 seconds, and she starts

Am I reading/understanding something wrong in the posts ???

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This might be a stupid question since I have zero issues starting my tractor but it has been bugging me since I keep reading it on here..

In many of the "Cold Weather Starting" threads I have read posts that say "Mine started, but it took 5-20 seconds of Glow Plugs before it did"

Question...

Granted my tractor is in the open pole barn, we rarely get below zero (F) here, and I have a rather well thought out start system.. Even when I am lazy like right now at 28°F I can walk outside turn the key to ON watch the Glow Plug light turn on for 2-5 seconds and she will start right up

You have a normally operating system.
Do not go looking for trouble.... it may eventually find you!

Reactions: 3 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Question...

In years past some tractors had separate glow plug switches while others had the glow plug switch integrated with the key-start switch. Sometimes one needed to turn the key switch to the left to heat the glow plugs, while other times, the key switch had an intermittent position between On and Start where one paused to heat the glow plugs.

Many modern tractors with ECMs time the glow plugs automatically based upon ambient and coolant temperature. The ECM controls the glow plugs and lamp based upon conditions.

Reactions: 2 users

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
Lots of Kubota models have feature that allows you to control how long the glow plugs heat up prior to starting.

Reactions: 2 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My key turns counter clockwise to activate the glow plugs. Per the owners manual this may take from a few seconds to over a minute depending on the temperature.
Closer to 0 F I pull the compression release to spin the motor for a couple of seconds while the starter is engaged.

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
On both my (admittedly small) machines, the operator (that'd be me) controls how much glow the engine gets--if any. Both via the key and the amount of time I put into holding it in the sprung position on the key before advancing it to the crank-this-sucka-over position.

My TG won't even start (at least not easily) in the summers' heat w/o at least a little glow.
My BX will start w/o glow, but I usually give it at least a few seconds. (more in the winter)

Modern machines with nanny systems do all that kinda thinkin' for ya.

:p

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
My key turns counter clockwise to activate the glow plugs. Per the owners manual this may take from a few seconds to over a minute depending on the temperature.
Same for mine. We recently had a cold spell with 10 degree weather (very unusual for my location). I had to activate my glow plugs for over a minute in order to get the diesel to fire.

Even in the summertime I will turn the key counter clockwise and use the glow plugs for about 10 seconds and the tractor will start immediately (first cold start). If I don't use the glow plugs, it starts of course, but takes several revolutions to do so.

After the first cold start, if use the tractor again within several hours it starts up with just a bump of the starter.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Both of my tractors have similar glow plug arrangements to my F250. Turn the key to the first position, wait for the glow plug inicator light to go out and then turn the key to the start position. I think the BX25D was similar but it's been a while.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska

Question...

I plug mine in anytime below 40 degrees. Today at 30 plugged in for a half hour and it still took a few times to start. I usually try to start at lowest rpm, then increase as it becomes harder to start.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I plug mine in anytime below 40 degrees. Today at 30 plugged in for a half hour and it still took a few times to start. I usually try to start at lowest rpm, then increase as it becomes harder to start.
Are you using your glow plugs? Shouldn’t need to plug it in at 40 degrees out. And should fire right up on first try right down to zero and below if you are using your glow plugs properly.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Are you using your glow plugs? Shouldn’t need to plug it in at 40 degrees out. And should fire right up on first try right down to zero and below if you are using your glow plugs properly.
That does not compute as few operate tractors in that kind of cold or anything else. Why have glow plugs in California then?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That does not compute as few operate tractors in that kind of cold or anything else. Why have glow plugs in California then?
I don't understand what you're trying to say. You just stated, "....few operate tractors in that kind of cold or anything else." In the sentence BAP commented on you stated, ".... I plug mine in anytime below 40 degrees."

i agree with BAP in that starting a diesel tractor in 40 deg weather should not be a problem. Please explain.

Reactions: 1 user

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
He said "right down to 0" I know over the road Big-Rigs keep engines running as much as possible or used to anyway. North Slope Alaska semi-rigs never turn off trucks all winter long. 24 hours a day! State of Alaska recommends plugging in ALL vehicles below 20 f. Cold starts even just below freezing shorten engine life.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
He said "right down to 0" I know over the road Big-Rigs keep engines running as much as possible or used to anyway. North Slope Alaska semi-rigs never turn off trucks all winter long. 24 hours a day! State of Alaska recommends plugging in ALL vehicles below 20 f. Cold starts even just below freezing shorten engine life.
You were saying in your post that you can’t get your tractor to start on the first try. Why is that. Your tractor with properly operating glow plugs should start down to zero on the first try. Yes plugging it in at temperatures below 20 degrees is a good idea, but it still should start. If your tractor is taking several tries to get it started, then something is wrong with the glow plugs. Either they aren’t working properly or there is operator error.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I haven't had an issue with my BX2200 starting. Here in northern Indiana we can get temps down below 0*f in the winter. At those temps I turn my key halfway to activate the GP anywhere from 5-10 seconds. Starts right up. I have had it run rough for a few seconds since not all cylinders were firing.

It is stored in an unheated garage/shed.

Starts a lot easier in cold temps than my old IDI diesel used too. If any part of it's starting system was weak it would cause issues.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Maybe mine does not start as easy as some?
With a tractor as new as a LX2610 I would be investigating why it doesn’t start easily. If it is still under warranty, ask your dealer for help.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville

Question...

Only diesel we've owned in 39 years in cars and 18 years in diesel tractors that required more than about 3 seconds glow time is on the 1973 220D Benz. It had old style glow plugs. Present ones on most tractors are about 1980s vintage. Our VW TDI started virtually like a gasoline engine.

Reactions: 1 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
On my 1985 B7200 I would have to have the glow plugs activated until the dash indicator glowed red even in the summer if started for the first time with engine at ambient temp. Years ago when stored in an unheated shop it always started in the coldest winter days without a block heater or cylinder de-compression. My new LX2610 starts instantly like my car. It is always stored in a shop that never gets below 50 deg F.