Glow Plug question

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but a question I've had around glow plugs and starting these tractors, since reading the manual. In the manual it states operating temperatures for ambient, which is the surrounding area's temperature. My question - if the tractor is kept in a heated garage, does it matter what the outside temps are, where the tractor will soon be heading, for starting the tractor. I have not had any issues starting the tractor, but the manual has me a bit paranoid about the length of time the glow plug needs to be used. I keep my garage between 40-60 (higher if I'm working in it), do I need to worry about running the glow plug longer, if I'm headed into 0°F or below, or just keep doing things as if I'm in an area at 40°F+? Hopefully that makes sense, just trying to gauge this 'issue'.

Thanks,
Greg

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but a question I've had around glow plugs and starting these tractors, since reading the manual. In the manual it states operating temperatures for ambient, which is the surrounding area's temperature. My question - if the tractor is kept in a heated garage, does it matter what the outside temps are, where the tractor will soon be heading, for starting the tractor. I have not had any issues starting the tractor, but the manual has me a bit paranoid about the length of time the glow plug needs to be used. I keep my garage between 40-60 (higher if I'm working in it), do I need to worry about running the glow plug longer, if I'm headed into 0°F or below, or just keep doing things as if I'm in an area at 40°F+? Hopefully that makes sense, just trying to gauge this 'issue'.

Thanks,
Greg
So I keep my garage @ 45 F, hit the glow plugs for 15 sec or so, fire it up, run it for a min and open the door and go to work. Don't over think it, your machine is warm at those temps.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
By definition ambient is the immediate area. That would be the temperature in the garage.

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
The glow plugs are all about starting, once started you can do what you want.

Reactions: 1 user