G6200 HST to manual

Walker111

Equipment
G5200
Sep 7, 2018
Fburg VA
I’ve had a 6200 with what I believe a bad HST. I’ve tried quite a few different things and it still acts up. After giving it hell before during and after all my attempts to fix it, I’m chocking it up as a loss....for now.

I found a 4200 manual trans in PA that I picked. The seller threw in the frame and back fiberglass with it.

My plan is/was to mate the manual trans to the 6200 motor. Well, I mounted the rearend and trans to the 6200 frame. Most everything on these tractors is the same thru the generations, however, the 4200 had the 2cylinder engine that actually didn’t sit as far back as the 3 cylinders. Also, the driveshafts are different lengths, and the couplers are sized differently.

So, as of now, it’s a rolling project. Have to measure the shaft lengths and then find a welder that can do it for me.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I’ve had a 6200 with what I believe a bad HST. I’ve tried quite a few different things and it still acts up. After giving it hell before during and after all my attempts to fix it, I’m chocking it up as a loss....for now.

I found a 4200 manual trans in PA that I picked. The seller threw in the frame and back fiberglass with it.

My plan is/was to mate the manual trans to the 6200 motor. Well, I mounted the rearend and trans to the 6200 frame. Most everything on these tractors is the same thru the generations, however, the 4200 had the 2cylinder engine that actually didn’t sit as far back as the 3 cylinders. Also, the driveshafts are different lengths, and the couplers are sized differently.

So, as of now, it’s a rolling project. Have to measure the shaft lengths and then find a welder that can do it for me.
I suggest you look for a truck drive line business to lengthen your shaft.

They have the tools and expertise to maintain the flex joint indexing and also balance the modified shaft.

After all this effort you do not want to end up with a vibration problem.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Walker111

Equipment
G5200
Sep 7, 2018
Fburg VA
Thanks, I plan on it. We’ve got a pretty good driveshaft shop local who I also plan to service my u-joints on my bagger.

I can get two pieces of metal to stick together, but it’s not pretty or balanced.

Walker111

Equipment
G5200
Sep 7, 2018
Fburg VA
Got the clutch pedal on and linkage hooked up. Dropped the prop shaft off at the machine shop, turnaround is a couple weeks.

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810, 1974 Wheel Horse C100
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Been at least a few couple weeks now to get that drive shaft back, how did this work out for you you? Neat retro of that gear transmission.