Fuel leaking into the crankcase

Gov365

Equipment
Kubota ZG327A
Oct 11, 2020
USA
First time in this forum and I've got a question about this Kubota ZG327A. I just read that a recall was issued some time ago for a faulty carb. This model has only 70 hrs and is a 2014 model. It had its 50 hour checkup and oil filter change which happened to put on with a filter wrench instead of hand tighten. So I pulled the plug and nothing but fuel started to fill the drain pans. I can't be sure if someone deliberately done it to get the machine for a cheaper price. I read also that there might be up to 4 fuel filters on these machines? I can't seem to locate the carb on this machine unless its right in the center under the radiator hose?? Thanks for any advise

Gov365

Equipment
Kubota ZG327A
Oct 11, 2020
USA
Fuel in the crankcase is generally cause by a sticking float in the carb.
Yes you are correct, now it's finding the carb...it's not sticking out in the open as most engines. My owners manual doesn't say anything. I believe it may be under that plate under the air breather hose.

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
I find that the online parts catalogue is a good place to find where things are. The exploded views can help.

I know nothing about your equipment, but I would start with the air filter and trace back to where it attaches to the carb.

Gov365

Equipment
Kubota ZG327A
Oct 11, 2020
USA
I found it as to where I thought would be the only spot. Looks pretty close to my Deere carb. the float was stuck in the bowl. I never seen that happen before. Got it soaking in my cleaner. Has anybody ever used a local oil filter instead of paying extra because it says Kubota???

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
. Has anybody ever used a local oil filter instead of paying extra because it says Kubota???
Some guys save even more money by not wasting money on things like oil filters and oil changes.

K makes good quality filters, are reasonably priced, and its cheap insurance ... cheaper than a new motor or tractor for sure.

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Some guys save even more money by not wasting money on things like oil filters and oil changes.

K makes good quality filters, are reasonably priced, and its cheap insurance ... cheaper than a new motor or tractor for sure.
That works for a while too..... (n)

Gov365

Equipment
Kubota ZG327A
Oct 11, 2020
USA
That works for a while too..... (n)
Your probably right. I've seen the cost of them online. I'm headed to the local dealer and find out from my model # if this carb has been replaced. 70 hrs is way to low of hours to have a carb do this. can't believe the local auto parts store didn't even have the NGK plugs.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Hours don't really matter if the carb gets a good dose of ethanol (water) gas and is left for a while.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why it's prudent to use a good fuel stabilizer like Stabil BLUE Marine Formula to prevent phase shift which is a nice term for water in the gas. I use it constantly, in every jug of e-gas I buy.

Same deal with diesel. The Fed allows refiners now to blend in a percentage of bio diesel in every gallon of ULSD on/off road dyed diesel so it's prudent to use a fuel additive to stabilize the diesel as well and prevent microbial growth which bio-diesel is famous for.

Big Brother is always watching out for ya so you need to watch out for big brother... he's sneaky.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
that recall was on very early KZG770 engines, I want to say around 08? Just a few of them, not very many

take the model and serial of your machine and they can look it up to see if you are eligible for anything

if not.....

Are you running full throttle/maximum engine speed all the time? If not you need to be. They don't like to be run at idle. The engine oil will never warm up at low engine speeds thus the oil never gets hot enough to boil off any contaminants that make their way in

does the engine run ok? Usually if the float is sticking the engine will run rich, black smoke, foul plugs, etc.

6 years old and only has 70 hours, means it sits a lot. That could be a partial explanation. Leaking float valve dumps gas into the engine with the engine off nothing you can do to solve it but replace the float valve and the float chamber gasket, and use it more often. Stabilizer helps but it doesn't solve it. Solving it means use it more often.

Gov365

Equipment
Kubota ZG327A
Oct 11, 2020
USA
that recall was on very early KZG770 engines, I want to say around 08? Just a few of them, not very many

take the model and serial of your machine and they can look it up to see if you are eligible for anything

if not.....

Are you running full throttle/maximum engine speed all the time? If not you need to be. They don't like to be run at idle. The engine oil will never warm up at low engine speeds thus the oil never gets hot enough to boil off any contaminants that make their way in

does the engine run ok? Usually if the float is sticking the engine will run rich, black smoke, foul plugs, etc.

6 years old and only has 70 hours, means it sits a lot. That could be a partial explanation. Leaking float valve dumps gas into the engine with the engine off nothing you can do to solve it but replace the float valve and the float chamber gasket, and use it more often. Stabilizer helps but it doesn't solve it. Solving it means use it more often.
Yes your correct. This machine isn't mine. A customer needs it fixed and I'm sure she doesn't use any type of stabilizer. I use it in my boat on every fill up. The fuel gage reads from both tanks or just one tank? She ordered all the parts needed to correct the issue. 1ea carb, 2ea fuel filters, 2ea oil filters, and 3ea crankcase oil. Plan on flushing the crankcase out a few times. I wish there was a fuel shut off to let the carb use what is in the bowl so none sits idle.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Put one in, simple and inexpensive solution. Nylon shut off's have to be a huge amount, maybe a couple bucks.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
I would love to hear how you came to find a 6-7 yr old tractor with only 70 hours!

Gov365

Equipment
Kubota ZG327A
Oct 11, 2020
USA
I would love to hear how you came to find a 6-7 yr old tractor with only 70 hours!
It belongs to a customer that used to have more acres. She gets done pretty quick. I asked if she wanted to sell and she said yes. She would like to trim down to a normal steering wheel type tractor.