Fuel gauge problems

Cobra427

Equipment
L3560le. Bush hog, tiller, flail mower, hole digger.
Jan 13, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
I have an L3560 hstc so the fuel tank is under the cab. My problem is the fuel gauge stopped working. When I turn the switch on it goes to full and stays there. I am trying to find out if there is a ground problem or fuse blown but I don't have a wiring diagram so I don't know where the ground or fuse is. At the back of the tank I can see a 90 degree metal tube connected to the tank but I don't see a wire. If anyone here has an idea how to diagnose this problem I would appreciate the help. Thanks for any suggestions
s

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I enlarged this WSM image to help you see where the sensor is located.
First check that a wire has not been pulled off.
forum L3560 ful level.jpg

Edit: adding more info

forum L3560 fuel level gauge.jpg

forum L3560 testing fuel sensor.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have an L3560 hstc so the fuel tank is under the cab. My problem is the fuel gauge stopped working. When I turn the switch on it goes to full and stays there. I am trying to find out if there is a ground problem or fuse blown but I don't have a wiring diagram so I don't know where the ground or fuse is. At the back of the tank I can see a 90 degree metal tube connected to the tank but I don't see a wire. If anyone here has an idea how to diagnose this problem I would appreciate the help. Thanks for any suggestions
s
Since it goes to full, it is getting power. If the sensor is good, there's most likely a short between the gauge and sensor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if the guage reads 'over full', then either the sensor is shorted to ground, or the wire from it to the guage is.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
The fuel gauge on my L3800 was stuck on full for 5 years. It just started working this past Fall.

Reactions: 1 users

Cobra427

Equipment
Jan 13, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
Since it goes to full, it is getting power. If the sensor is good, there's most likely a short between the gauge and sensor.
Thanks for your reply. I am not much good with a multimeter, is there another way to check if it is a ground?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks for your reply. I am not much good with a multimeter, is there another way to check if it is a ground?
Pull the connector off at the sensor. If the gauge reads empty, the sensor's bad.
If the gauge still reads full, pull the connector off at the dash (may be hard to find without a diagram). If the gauge reads empty, there's a short in the wire. If it still reads full (not likely), there's a problem in the panel.
Looks like it's a yellow wire.

Cobra427

Equipment
Jan 13, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
Pull the connector off at the sensor. If the gauge reads empty, the sensor's bad.
If the gauge still reads full, pull the connector off at the dash (may be hard to find without a diagram). If the gauge reads empty, there's a short in the wire. If it still reads full (not likely), there's a problem in the panel.
Looks like it's a yellow wire.
Thank you again, I will try that tomorrow...

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
The fuel gauge on my L3800 was stuck on full for 5 years. It just started working this past Fall.
Yep, sometimes if you ignore a problem long enough, it goes away.
But not very often, usually it just gets worse.

massahosa

Equipment
Kubota 2021 60
Jul 10, 2023
Chester NH
s
I am discovering that it is important to keep fuel tank full when storing tractor for long periods of time. It took 20 hours of use for my guage to start registering above 50% when tank was actually full. I believe oxidation is the cause