Fresh Corn

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Mother went and did some shopping today and brought home fresh corn from the store.
I remember being in North Carolina this time of year and seeing corn in the fields maybe 3" tall. That had me thinking is this corn in grown here in the US ???
I'm not sure if Fla or Texas would be picking corn now ??

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
We have a local family owned business that owns and leases large acreages of farm land and has 3 retail "roadside stands" that are as big or larger than some convenience stores, and also supply produce to several of the large grocery stores in the area. They always have sweet corn way ahead of any other local farmers and advertise it as "from our own farm". What they don't say is that it is from farmland they have in South Carolina. It's definitely not the same as local grown sweet corn.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We have a local family owned business that owns and leases large acreages of farm land and has 3 retail "roadside stands" that are as big or larger than some convenience stores, and also supply produce to several of the large grocery stores in the area. They always have sweet corn way ahead of any other local farmers and advertise it as "from our own farm". What they don't say is that it is from farmland they have in South Carolina. It's definitely not the same as local grown sweet corn.
I see corn for sale here in Florida.
I assume that it may be Florida grown.

Last edited:

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I live in the middle of SC. No one around here is selling locally grown sweet corn that I'm aware of. Most folks have only had their gardens in the ground for about 3-4 weeks.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
California, Mexico, for the April U.S. market…. India, China for the Asian.

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
I live in the middle of SC. No one around here is selling locally grown sweet corn that I'm aware of. Most folks have only had their gardens in the ground for about 3-4 weeks.
Here in northwest PA we don't have real local grown sweet corn available until mid to late July. The local farm that has farmland in South Carolina starts selling it up here 3 or 4 weeks earlier and advertises it being "from our own farm" without disclosing that is being trucked in from out of state. Most local people don't know that, so in my opinion that is being less than honest. They always try to make it look to the general public that everything they sell is being grown locally. We only buy local produce from the people we know are upfront about the source.