First tractor, questions new bx23s

wubbey

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 7, 2023
Wisconsin
Finally got up to the land. Installed the bxpanded skid plate. Checked fluids and pressures.
Zip tied that abomination of a hose into an "S" shape onto the hard lines. Definitely replacing this line over the 4th.

So two questions after operating around 5 hours.

First, any tips to get that last scoop of a material pile into the FEL? I got some gravel delivered and was able to spread it around and back drag it smooth. However when I got to the bottom of the material pile, I had a real hard time getting the FEL to scoop without digging in or just pushing my material pile around. Is this just an experience thing? I hate to admit but I busted out the shovel and sweat.

Second, what is this broken o-ring at the end of the piston? Do I need to worry about this?
On various hydraulic piston diagrams its not shown. Looks like painted from the factory, not sure how painting an O ring makes sense, maybe its job is to prevent paint from entering the wiper seal during manufacture?
IMG_6549_E.jpeg

Didn't really get any good pics, too excited to use it. Only got one of a helper cut up a downed tree, grapple was amazing and cleaning this up. Of course I found a big coil of steel wire in the pile immediately, thankfully didn't get it wrapped up on anything.
Diving into brush piles like this, I probably need a front grill guard. They all seem expensive, like twice the price of the bxspanded skid plate for less material. The messicks one seems the cheapest...
IMG_6548_E_2.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you'll never get the last 'scoop' in unless you've got a WALL behind the pile......
oring is JUST a factory painting protector...I still have some on my BX23S
Use bucket to protect the grille guard that 'should' be on your ride.....
with SSQA upfront, watch out the levers don't 'release' from pushing brush, here,there, everywhere...

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Finally got up to the land. Installed the bxpanded skid plate. Checked fluids and pressures.
Zip tied that abomination of a hose into an "S" shape onto the hard lines. Definitely replacing this line over the 4th.

First, any tips to get that last scoop of a material pile into the FEL? I got some gravel delivered and was able to spread it around and back drag it smooth. However when I got to the bottom of the material pile, I had a real hard time getting the FEL to scoop without digging in or just pushing my material pile around. Is this just an experience thing? I hate to admit but I busted out the shovel and sweat.

Second, what is this broken o-ring at the end of the piston? Do I need to worry about this?
On various hydraulic piston diagrams its not shown. Looks like painted from the factory, not sure how painting an O ring makes sense, maybe its job is to prevent paint from entering the wiper seal during manufacture?
View attachment 105930

Didn't really get any good pics, too excited to use it. Only got one of a helper cut up a downed tree, grapple was amazing and cleaning this up. Of course I found a big coil of steel wire in the pile immediately, thankfully didn't get it wrapped up on anything.
Diving into brush piles like this, I probably need a front grill guard. They all seem expensive, like twice the price of the bxspanded skid plate for less material. The messicks one seems the cheapest...
View attachment 105931
Congrats.

Don't worry about those O-rings. They are used for painting during assembly. They serve absolutely no purpose to you.

Reactions: 1 user

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Here is a picture after my tractor was delivered. First problem crap install, second problem I specifically requested the Kubota 3rd function kit not Land Pride. Dealer took the tractor back, and installed the Kubota 3rd function, I was happy as a clam.
Few of my favorite upgrades, Bxpanded under armor, filled rear tires, 2” rear wheel spacers, Bxpanded backhoe dolly, and Bxpanded tool box.
View attachment 104780
Oof. Is this how the hoses are run with the Kubota kit? What a piss poor setup if it is. Those hoses are ripe for a stick /branch/other object getting caught in them and ripping them down and off. What is it with dealers lately that are doing half ass checks on equipment before delivering it to the new owner?? This is getting ridiculous...

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY

Experience using loader, comes with time. Just need to leave bucket level on ground when you go to pick end of pile up and speed a little into it, Just make sure nothing important is on other side of pile:ROFLMAO:

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I

Also, the dealer is no more, just my luck they dropped Kubota, and went 100% Bobcat about two weeks after I bought my tractor.
I suspect that Kubota pulled the dealership due to customer concern's(complaints) or they also have a competing company within the same building. My local dealership had Kawasaki and Kubota within the same building and neither company was happy about that. Kawasaki was no longer sold at that dealership within a year, as it was 10 RTV's versus the 1 Mule on average(Yes, my father bought the Mule). I suspect the only reason is back in 2002 RTV's only came in orange and my dad liked the color green.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Oof. Is this how the hoses are run with the Kubota kit? What a piss poor setup if it is. Those hoses are ripe for a stick /branch/other object getting caught in them and ripping them down and off. What is it with dealers lately that are doing half ass checks on equipment before delivering it to the new owner?? This is getting ridiculous...
No.That’s how a lazy person with no pride in their work routed them and a dealer with no QC or pride in their work or reputation let it out the door.

It’s also why I installed my own 3rd function kit. It looks stock and everything is routed exactly as it should be. I knew the dealers staff would not have done it correctly regardless of what I paid. Being a professional just mean you get paid to do it, not that you are good at it.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hey. Got a BX23S, Landpride 3rd function, bucket, grapple, pallet forks, 3 point kit. My first tractor, but really my first real piece of hydraulic equipment as well. I've got a few acres I want to better maintain. Some trails (~1.5 miles), a driveway (0.5 miles), lots of forest and some food plots. I am excited to move from shoveling gravel into a wheelbarrow to something that is a lot better use of my time, especially now that I have kids. I have a 6x4 gators with a dump bucket, should really make life easier.

View attachment 104633

Only played around with it for an hour, but I have some questions or seeking wisdom.
  1. I would like some more keys in case I loose the only one. Are they all keyed alike? Or do I need to get them cut? I suppose I could get more from the dealer but I've already paid them enough.
  2. I've got some pretty rough trails around my property to travel. I'm going slow, but I am REALLY bouncing around in the chair. I can feel and hear the tractor transmission loading and unloading as it rocks around. At one point I bounced so much the seatbelt locked up. How much do I worry about this and baby it? For now I'm going as slow as is practical, but it would also be nice to just let it rip and go full speed for traveling to a site. A box blade is in my future next year to smooth this out.
  3. I've got a dangling hydraulic hose the dealer "forgot to zip tie up". Dealer said the Land Pride 3rd function has two hoses in the kit, one just barely long enough and one way too long, and the correct action is to zip tie it up. I suppose that works, but there is a LOT of extra hose. Does this make sense to other people? I guess it does to me, bummer they didn't do a complete job. Pic attached, seeking wisdom.
  4. Does the 2022 bx23s need a brush guard for the HST cooling fan? Again pretty rough trails, possibility of sticks poking up. Not sure if Kubota addressed this in a model year or if theyre all the same.
  5. Do people have experience mounting a fire extinguisher to their bx tractor? Googling I see a ROPS bolt on bracket as well as options for putting it on a fender. Looking for wisdom here, I don't want something that is brittle plastic that is going to be smashed off and do more damage.
  6. Should the mid mount PTO have some sort of cover on it? I ask as the rear PTO has a cover

Below is pic of dangling hose. Not sure how the dealership missed this... Of course I found it immediately after their delivery guy left, not in their parking lot during the walk around.

View attachment 104634
DO NOT drill your ROPs. I found a nylon strap fire extinguisher holder on Amazon. The straps Velcro around the Rops upright. This kind is made for mounting to a Jeep roll bar.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

View attachment 105930

View attachment 105931
Hope you had your phaser set to "kill" like Captain Kirk ordered.....

1688984642539.png

Edit: Congrats on the new tractor, your gonna love it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
The Kubota 3rd function is a diverter, so all of the magic happens up on the loader; no hoses from the rear of the tractor. The only thing coming from the rear is a wire that is tucked in beside the loader disconnect.