finally.....about to move in...still researching

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why is there a clutch? specifically when would you use it on an HST?
It's a safety disconnect and for PTO operations.

The placement of the brakes on this tractor really sucks, why is it right over the top of the HST pedal? weird, could get used to it, just really odd placement.
Yes it's odd, but on an HST it's rare to even touch the brakes ever.

Can you just get a grand L pedal and attach, or are the mounts different for one reason or another?
I'm going to say, most likely not an option.

I want the R4 tires. but should I get the rear wheel spacers , how much do they actually move the tires out?
Depends on what size spacers you get there is 1/2" all the way on up to 8"

the hydraulic flow specs on this tractor aren't great, do they make a 3rd function for this tractor (not listed on kubota's site) or will I have to go aftermarket? do they make a low enough flow to be able to use a skid steer quick attach style post hole digger (prefer the ability to reverse the auger if necessary)? best I've found was a 6 gpm min flow rate.
Your not going to be able to "power" any motor run attachment with a third function on that tractor, no where near enough flow, most third functions, even aftermarket are only good for cylinder movement.
You can get a Power pack to run like a auger or a blower but they are not cheap, they are a PTO pump, tank and most of all a cooler as the fluid will get very hot from the work.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
It's a safety disconnect and for PTO operations.

Yes it's odd, but on an HST it's rare to even touch the brakes ever.

I'm going to say, most likely not an option.

Depends on what size spacers you get there is 1/2" all the way on up to 8"

Your not going to be able to "power" any motor run attachment with a third function on that tractor, no where near enough flow, most third functions, even aftermarket are only good for cylinder movement.
You can get a Power pack to run like a auger or a blower but they are not cheap, they are a PTO pump, tank and most of all a cooler as the fluid will get very hot from the work.

when you say safety disconnect, do you mean you pretty much have to clutch to start it, but that's it? and clutch to engage and disengage PTO? so it's basically a PTO clutch?

roger that on everything else. so better off getting a normal 3 point post digger? so next question, how do I put down pressure on a post hole digger without a top N tilt safely? or regardless of ground conditions should a good auger do it minus rocks/roots etc?

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
Looks like the Kubota rear wheel spacers are L8787 and move each rear wheel out 1". Price from "Build My Kubota" is $233. http://www.kubota.com/configurator/BuildMyKubota.aspx?pgId=1&bmId=1060&sId=125

Down pressure on a 3pt hitch is separate from hydraulic "top N tilt", and only available on a few tractors.

A salesman told me the clutch on the L2501 is used when engaging/disengaging the PTO.
I thought the top N tilt gave you hydraulic cylinders that would tilt the top link or push it down.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I thought the top N tilt gave you hydraulic cylinders that would tilt the top link or push it down.
I think as the top link pushes down the 3 point hitch will float up. The easiest solution may be to add weight to the post hole digger or 3 point hitch.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
A suggestion on your decision process. If possible, rent tractors in the size range you are considering and then determine which is the best fit for your needs. I did this and ended up with the MX4800 simply for the added weight, and ability to pull larger implements.

I'm originally from Ada and know your part of the world well. Those boulders are a pain, and yes, they appear to grow out of the ground! Almost like shark's teeth, when you extract one, another replaces it!