F##kin FORDS!

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
I listened to my brother who road tests vehicles for a living,from Evs to Ferraris....so I trust his knowledge.
He told me never ,ever buy anything with an 'ecoboost' engine.
That's pretty funny. "Ecoboost" just means the engine is turbocharged. Sounds like your choice in vehicles is going to be really limited soon as most manufacturers are going to turbocharged engines. Stellantis just announced a turbo six that will be replacing their V8 Hemi engines.

Why is it that no one seems to mind turbochargers on their diesel tractors and trucks but has a fit when a turbo is paired with a gas engine? I've owned several turbocharged vehicles in my day and one thing I've never had to replace was a turbo.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That's pretty funny. "Ecoboost" just means the engine is turbocharged. Sounds like your choice in vehicles is going to be really limited soon as most manufacturers are going to turbocharged engines. Stellantis just announced a turbo six that will be replacing their V8 Hemi engines.

Why is it that no one seems to mind turbochargers on their diesel tractors and trucks but has a fit when a turbo is paired with a gas engine? I've owned several turbocharged vehicles in my day and one thing I've never had to replace was a turbo.
I think it’s because so many of the early gas turbos were notoriously unreliable. If the engine, gas or diesel, is designed from ground up to be boosted it isn’t a reliability issue. When it’s a naturally aspirated design that’s boosted that doesn’t always work quite so well. Kind of like the first light truck and auto GM diesels from the 80’s that were basically gas blocks, cranks, etc. with the compression turned up to run diesel. Nothing wrong with Diesel engines produced for cars by Mercedes but there was a lot wrong with those GM Diesel engines.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

The gerbil in my wife's Buick encore is turbo charged. Add in an 8sp automatic and it has enough get-up to get out of it's own way and then some. 👍👍👍👍👍

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I've only owned two F100's and twelve F150's (so far) in my lifetime. Ive never owned an ecoboost. Pleanty of straight 6's and v8's and have loved and missed every one I've sold or traded.
I watch little on Utube but several years ago I watched a video of a Ford dealer down south like LeeSeanna or Arkansas. The camera man when thru the service bays asking each tech "if you were to buy a F150 which engine would you want ?" There was like 12 techs. A big dealership. ALL but one chose the 5.0 litre. And when asked why ? All answered the same. Its easy to work on and seldom has any issues.
To the OP. I'm sorry about your issues. At least your smart enough to tackle the job. Most like myself don't have the knowledge to do so.
Here's my latest F150, 5.0L, 400hp V8.
(note: even my girlfriend is a Ford, and she refuses to drive one, lol)
I just love Fords. 20210801_150731 F150.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I've only owned two F100's and twelve F150's (so far) in my lifetime. Ive never owned an ecoboost. Pleanty of straight 6's and v8's and have loved and missed every one I've sold or traded.
I watch little on Utube but several years ago I watched a video of a Ford dealer down south like LeeSeanna or Arkansas. The camera man when thru the service bays asking each tech "if you were to buy a F150 which engine would you want ?" There was like 12 techs. A big dealership. ALL but one chose the 5.0 litre. And when asked why ? All answered the same. Its easy to work on and seldom has any issues.
To the OP. I'm sorry about your issues. At least your smart enough to tackle the job. Most like myself don't have the knowledge to do so.
Here's my latest F150, 5.0L, 400hp V8.
(note: even my girlfriend is a Ford, and she refuses to drive one, lol)
I just love Fords. View attachment 76558
I just did cab corners and rockers on my junk too. 10 years old and COMPLETELY rusted away. Some issue with the crew cab models and piss poor design.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
20 minutes to get the cab off 🙄 maybe 30 with rust 🤣.

that job is easy money 😎
Hey Fordtech, how do i get the turbo coolant line fittings off the BACK of the engine without lifting the cab? They werent leaking from there but im thinking after moving them around to pull the turbos they just might now....friggin ford

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Respectfully, in my limited experience, buying an all aluminum block and head V6 Ford ecoboom with over 100K miles was a risky purchase. I have aquaintances with them that love and hate them. It's a high tech engine platform that does everything well when new. It's an amazing platform. But, as they say, "A light that burns twice as bright burns half as long".

I've since gotten rid of my turbo diesel car (328d) and (F250 6.0 & 6.7) trucks. Shop repair was killing my wallet. I now have a stripped 2017 Ford F250 XL with manual transfer case lever and 6.2 gas motor. All of my cars are trucks are non turbo, naturally aspirated. In this high tech age, I'm still going for KISS. Keep it simple stupid. I'm no genius, but I can actually work on this old school type engine. Just sayin'.

I wish you well with your F150.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Passenger side is fairly easy to reach behind with a 90 degree pick and pull the clip out of the fitting to get the tube out, then get a ratchet and socket back there to get it out. Driver side a little trickier. From underneath “adjust” the bracket on the top two bell housing bolts that holds the fuel lines out of the way a little, a long pick to get the clip out, then long extension with a swivel to get the fitting.

or follow the manual and pull the intake and the coolant crossover tube to get to them.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Respectfully, in my limited experience, buying an all aluminum block and head V6 Ford ecoboom with over 100K miles was a risky purchase. I have aquaintances with them that love and hate them. It's a high tech engine platform that does everything well when new. It's an amazing platform. But, as they say, "A light that burns twice as bright burns half as long".

I've since gotten rid of my turbo diesel car (328d) and (F250 6.0 & 6.7) trucks. Shop repair was killing my wallet. I now have a stripped 2017 Ford F250 XL with manual transfer case lever and 6.2 gas motor. All of my cars are trucks are non turbo, naturally aspirated. In this high tech age, I'm still going for KISS. Keep it simple stupid. I'm no genius, but I can actually work on this old school type engine. Just sayin'.

I wish you well with your F150.
the problem im having is pretty simple to fix, the issue is the time it takes to get it done. Its bad design on the manifolds and by the looks of the new manifolds that i picked up today, its been corrected. As far as the stupid coolant line leak its the fittings that leak, likely due to the sealing oring getting too hot im guessing. piss poor design

Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Passenger side is fairly easy to reach behind with a 90 degree pick and pull the clip out of the fitting to get the tube out, then get a ratchet and socket back there to get it out. Driver side a little trickier. From underneath “adjust” the bracket on the top two bell housing bolts that holds the fuel lines out of the way a little, a long pick to get the clip out, then long extension with a swivel to get the fitting.

or follow the manual and pull the intake and the coolant crossover tube to get to them.
cant i just Andrew Cammerata the firewall from the inside so i can "access" it? lol. Thanks for the tip, ill likely pull the intake though.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
the problem im having is pretty simple to fix, the issue is the time it takes to get it done. Its bad design on the manifolds and by the looks of the new manifolds that i picked up today, its been corrected. As far as the stupid coolant line leak its the fittings that leak, likely due to the sealing oring getting too hot im guessing. piss poor design
I feel your pain. Not exactly as you explained, but I've been there, turning wrenches for 45 years. Unlike some brands, they like to make things difficult so the owner takes it to a dealer. Or just says, to heck with it and buys a new truck. Ford is a good brand, in my opinion, but they've been known to build things to fail at warranty end.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
cant i just Andrew Cammerata the firewall from the inside so i can "access" it? lol. Thanks for the tip, ill likely pull the intake though.
if you go that way you won’t even need to worry about pulling the clip out, just take an open end wrench and unscrew the fitting with the tube still attached

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Per Andrew: Just use your Stihl 16" chainsaw to gain access!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Not to bash but I feel your pain....I had a 2008 F150 several years back with the 5.4 Triton engine. That dang thing had more issues than I could imagine. I loved and took good care of it but it clearly did not feel the same. It lived up to the acronym Fix Or Repair Daily and cost me a small fortune to make repeated repairs from broken spark plugs, several failed coils pack on the plugs, exhaust manifold leaks and finally a fuel injector that stuck open and ended with a bent camshaft. They are some of he best looking trucks on the market but after that one....I was done for life with Ford. Good luck with yours, I hope somehow you are able to get it running and back on the road soon.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Ford changed the mounting scheme for the manifolds. Heres a new oem manifold next to the old one. The old manifolds didnt use several available stud holes in the block, new manifolds do but why didnt they just do that in the first place? Save the cost and weight of a couple studs?

old manifolds have 1/8" inch of warp.

20220314_192307_resized.jpg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My 1987 MB 350 SDL would eat the turbos every time the particulate filter would clog, approximately every 50 or 60 thousand miles. MB made a deal with the EPA to guarantee them for the life of the car but eventually reneged on that promise, and in 1995 or 96 they announced that you only got one more turbo for free, and after that, you had to pay for the repair. I bought a 1995 E320 and traded the turbo. By 2000 the Benz was no longer selling diesel anything, and the cost of repairs on the gas engine cars was going out of sight. Started buying Ford products every 4 or 5 years and they were great. Our 2016 Explorers have been reliable, but I am not sure for how much longer. Been having lots of heater and A/C unit failures this past year. Sure glad that I bought the extended warranty to 100K or 8 years.
Now, on the flip side of the turbo coin, my 1964 Chevrolet Spyder turbo has been bulletproof for the last 40 years. Not very good mileage, but great on the power side of things.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
new one seems 'meatier' around the mtg holes.
cost would have been the deciding factor. Some 'bean counter' ran the numbers and the extra material and time, down the assembly line didn't outweigh the cost for those operations. Saving $1 off every vehicle adds up real fast when you make 100k 500k or 1 million units !

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Ford changed the mounting scheme for the manifolds. Heres a new oem manifold next to the old one. The old manifolds didnt use several available stud holes in the block, new manifolds do but why didnt they just do that in the first place? Save the cost and weight of a couple studs?

old manifolds have 1/8" inch of warp.

View attachment 76567
The wife’s explorer manifolds are like that. Holes are in the head but not on the manifold. I noticed it while removing the rear manifold to replace her power transfer unit (transfer case) after it ate itself at 70k miles. I get a new motor craft part (reman are not even available) less than 100 miles on that and the output shaft seal starts leaking. It’s a big job to take out the case for warranty so I bit the bullet, ordered a seal $30 later and now it’s leak free. Ford, quality is job one!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The wife’s explorer manifolds are like that. Holes are in the head but not on the manifold
because the heads are used in multiple applications and all the holes arent necessary to get it to seal properly

good news is we won’t have to worry about these things with our electric cars.

Last edited: