Engine oil black during new break-in period.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Hey all. I purchased a new M5140 HD several months back. Am nearing the 50 hr breakin period and the engine oil is very dirty looking; in fact it started dirtying up after 10-15 hrs. Is this normal? My old L3010 didn't start doing this for quite a while when it was new. I realize the rings, etc. have to seat, but the oil looks darker than I would expect.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
TKM,

Once your rings seat, you should see the oil stay cleaner quite a bit longer. Plus, there is a load of metal in your first oil change. Even more if you go longer!:mad:

I bought a used Tractor and the original owner didn't change ANYTHING in 126 hours. I did a change as soon as I got it. I had never owned a diesel before and watched my oil very closely over the last 75 hours I operated the machine and saw the particulates start to increase markedly after about 60-70 hours so, after 74 hours, I did a second oil change. While the recommended interval on mine is 200 hours from here on out, I think I'll treat it to changes every 100 hours.

My original oil was soot black. This last change still looked like fairly clean oil with micro soot particles suspended in it.

silverstreek

Feb 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
Hey all. I purchased a new M5140 HD several months back. Am nearing the 50 hr breakin period and the engine oil is very dirty looking; in fact it started dirtying up after 10-15 hrs. Is this normal? My old L3010 didn't start doing this for quite a while when it was new. I realize the rings, etc. have to seat, but the oil looks darker than I would expect.
I understand many manufacturers use a different color engine assembly lubricant (a very dark red color). As the engine runs the engine assembly lube and the oil mix together turning the originally lighter color oil a darker color. It's nothing to be alarmed about, it's just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
I'm with you CaveCreekRay, 200 hrs on oil changes seems a stretch unless you're putting the hours on quickly and/or using synthetic. My manual says to grease the tractor every 100 hrs, that seems a stretch too when the FEL is supposed to be every 10 hrs. Oh well, time to order my filters and oil for the 50 hr change......... about $450 worth!
Silverstreek, never thought about it, but makes sense to coat new parts with something that sticks for the initial break in. I haven't noticed any red tint, just black.
Thanks guys!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Turbo temps reach upwards to 1200 degrees and are lubed by the engine oil. Adds a bunch of heat to the oil and cause's it to darken quicker.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
At 50 hrs the oil in the L3800 was pretty clean looking. Change it once a year now and still very light colored.

$450 seems excessive on the 50 hrs. You doin the trans fluid? I just did the engine & trans filter.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Bluegill, the manual calls for both hydraulic filters, oil filter, hydraulic oil and engine oil to be changed at 50 hrs. The M5140 has a 15 gal capacity for the hydraulics. Luckily the next change is around 600 hrs! The price of $450 is getting it online, the dealer was even more.
I'm getting the Super UDT2 hydraulic fluid which adds a little cost over the UDT.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Bluegill, the manual calls for both hydraulic filters, oil filter, hydraulic oil and engine oil to be changed at 50 hrs. The M5140 has a 15 gal capacity for the hydraulics. Luckily the next change is around 600 hrs! The price of $450 is getting it online, the dealer was even more.
I'm getting the Super UDT2 hydraulic fluid which adds a little cost over the UDT.
OK, my manual said just trans filter at 50 & oil at 400. Different model I guess.

By the way I'm org from Tallahassee, move to Missouri in 1990. Bought my first Kubota down there. :cool:

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
OK, my manual said just trans filter at 50 & oil at 400. Different model I guess.

By the way I'm org from Tallahassee, move to Missouri in 1990. Bought my first Kubota down there. :cool:
Good to meet you Bluegill. I've been here most of my life. Got my first Orange tractor at SGT south of town. My last one in Moultrie, GA. Bet you miss the warm Florida weather at times.... :)

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Good to meet you Bluegill. I've been here most of my life. Got my first Orange tractor at SGT south of town. My last one in Moultrie, GA. Bet you miss the warm Florida weather at times.....
I got my first Kubota (a used L245) at the Ford Tractor place half way to Quincy in the early 80s'... Yes, miss the warm weather about this time of year, but usually not rest of the year. ;)