Engine Block Heater Location Ford 6.2 Gas

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So, I bought the parts (heater unit and cord) to install an engine block heater on my 2017 SuperDuty with the 6.2 gasoline engine.

The dealer wanted a lot of money for the parts and installation, but he had the courtesy to tell me that "It's an easy installation, just have a little antifreeze to top it off when finished".

Anyway, I can't find information on actually where on the engine block this unit mounts into. I'm sure that there's a threaded cap where the heater goes, somewhere on the block. But I can't find any information about where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
After you get it installed consider getting a Wi-Fi controlled plug to plug the block heater in with. I use ones from TP Link they allow you to set a start & stop time or you can manually control it. It saves a bunch of juice...

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Thanks to @Fordtech86, I found the block heater install location.

I think that once the weather dips below freezing regularly, I'll plug in the unit on a timer to start the heating process a few hours before I expect to need the truck.

Edit: The engine block heater location on the 6.2 gas Ford engine is under the exhaust manifold close to the transmission bell housing on the driver's side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So, finally got it installed today since the weather warmed up into the high 50's low 60's today.
I'm posting this part for future reference for those searching for info.
My truck is an 2017 4wd F250 SD with the 6.2 gasoline motor:

The engine plug at the block is a female - 14mm hex plug. You'll need a 14mm male hex socket. I bought a whole kit on Amazon for $30.

I bought the factory Ford- engine block heater element, Ford P/N BC3Z-6A051-C. That was for my truck. Yours may be different. I bought it online from a Ford dealer for a lot cheaper than my local Ford dealer offered. Give them your VIN and you're good to go.

My Ford factory heater element has a 1 1/8 socket nut.

Having the new plug - heater element ready to go, I pulled the factory plug with the 14mm male hex socket with my Milwaukee impact. Then quickly installed the heater element in the threaded hole by hand. I got wet with antifreeze, but only lost about 1 cup of antifreeze. Which I had on hand to refill.

On my heater plug - element, the inner prongs for the heater cable needed to be parallel with the ground for heater cable attachment.

Good luck. My self - install saved me $350 from the dealer price.

Attachments