Daily Chuckle

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yeah, Because the draft was such a great F*** idea and if you were really lucky you got a free trip overseas.
The slogan: "The Marine Corps. Builds Men" was/is 100% accurate.
I was not a Marine.
Should have been universally phrased: Military Service Builds Men!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yeah, Because the draft was such a great F*** idea and if you were really lucky you got a free trip overseas.
Countries like Switzerland that never go to war have a required period of military service. Works for them. Might work here too...or at least a required period of some kind of national service maybe? The draft like in Vietnam era days is a totally different thing. I joined the US Coast Guard to avoid Vietnam and got sent to south east asia anyway. So I get the message biker1mike...but also get fried1765's point as well.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's also a pretty valid representation of what it's like to have your wife doctor your cut with super glue 😬😬😬😬😬
Oh I can handle Superglue!
Tell her to use the gel, way easier on both of you!

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Oh I can handle Superglue!
Tell her to use the gel, way easier on both of you!
I would have been completely fine if she told me what she was gonna do. I would have held it closed for her while she applied the super glue.

It was the fact she hid it from me, and didn't tell me what she was gonna do. She had my arm tucked under her shoulder in front of her where I couldn't see what she was doing.

It was the sudden feeling like she doused the cut in kerosene and lighting it on fire when I was expecting a couple butterfly stitches that got me. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Happy alentines ay to everybody not getting the V or D today!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Easy there Megal, while you may have never enjoyed the fruits of the military experience up close and personal,, some of us have. And we learned what life was all about became better men because of it. And truth be known if I was called on again, I would go,, again!

Reactions: 2 users

Gary Olson

Equipment
L2501 w/FEL and grapple, 3pt auger
Mar 10, 2022
Mark Twain Forest
Easy there Megal, while you may have never enjoyed the fruits of the military experience up close and personal,, some of us have. And we learned what life was all about became better men because of it. And truth be known if I was called on again, I would go,, again!
My military experience did not provide a useful experience. Supposedly placed in a quality posting in a command with exceptional people, it was just an office job with REMFs. Couldn't wait to get out; wouldn't recommend this type of service to any young person. The reality of the position was painted over with superlative descriptions of just how privileged I was to get this posting. 🤮

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I've been debating whether or not to add my 2 cents to the discussion of the benefits of military service.

I was a "lifer" retired after 22 years of active duty, so obviously I'm a tad biased.

In 1968, the draft was still in effect and military service was a given. My four older brothers all did their time, the two oldest in the Army as draftees, took whatever job they were assigned and hated it the entire time. The next two in the Air Force. They enlisted for school, one for avionics, one for computer programming. Both pursued civilian careers related to their choice after a 4 year enlistment. I chose to join rather than wait to be drafted. I did well enough on the ASVAB test battery while in High School to be guaranteed Electronics School when it was time. I went Navy primarily because it wasn't the Army or the Air Force, and I had no interest in being a Marine.

Nearly 2 years of technical school before my first actual duty station. It did require a 6 year obligation but I felt it was worth it.

One thing led to another and 22 years later I retired with a tidy pension, a good education and 20 years of experience.

My point is that it CAN be a good experience, but like most things you have to put some effort into it and it's certainly not for everyone. The Services don't want the draft either because they have no control over the quality of enlistees that way. The days of "Go to Jail or Go to the Army" are long past. Pretty much any military occupation classification has a healthy dose of technology these days and unmotivated people that don't want to be there anyway will not fill the bill.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I am all for the military but very much against what was the draft.