Cranks with smoke

10ecman

Equipment
Bad Boy Pup, JD 737 and (2) ZD21
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
Ok gents I have a g1800 that I love, but just replaced deck pto bearings. Now drove it around "sweeping" my clippings up for an hour or two. Now it will crank and crank usually acts like its going to fire but does not run. Like I said it ran fine 2 days ago but will not start now. The battery volt reading was 12.35 but I have put it on my charger tonight. Any ideas? I need to replace o rings on the 3 injectors but can't see that causing a no start. It puffs black smoke trying to start but doesn't run. Not sure where to start now. Any help is appreciated.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Are you talking about the o-rings on the injection pump under each line cap? Yes loose connection fittings (worn o-ring) would make it hard to start and since you are that far, replace the delivery valve washers.

I would also run the valves to check or adjust the lash.

Pat

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
Thanks Pat! I'll see if the dealer has delivery valve washers. I just need to find a video of the valve adjustment and I'll do it today.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Glow plugs not working?
I'm not familiar with your model, but I assume there is a key position or switch for glow plugs (probably a relay in the circuit too). Can you put your voltmeter on the glow plugs and see if they are getting voltage? If yes, check one with wire disconnected, meter set on Ohms, and test for "open" (meter leads between wire connection on g plug and ground).

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
agree - check the glow plugs,
might ought to replace battery at this point too - a slow spin will make it more difficult to start
also - might not be a bad idea to crack the injectors or nut to make sure fuel is getting there on all cylinders.

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
Battery is new. I will replace the o rings since I have a leak anyway. Thanks will test glow plug.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When was the last time you changed the 2 filters?
Is the fuel pump running?
Does it have good flow to the injection pump?

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
It has always started in the past. It has been increasingly harder for the past few weeks. I knew I had a diesel leak around the injector pump so the o-rings I have to replace. Any other things I need to pay attention to? I use the G1800 for mainly the swampy areas in my yard right now is no where to be found but i do like the cut on the Kubota

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I doubt that leaking injector pump would cause your slow/no start. It would have to be leaking really badly, I think.

Others are pointing you in the right direction. Rule out simple, cheaper, things first. Check those filters. If ok, loosen each injector nozzle head while cranking and see if fuel is being delivered.

Next, the glow plugs. A tip: the glow plugs should be active (heating) as long as you hold the key in position. The dash light will go out after a few seconds, but the plugs should still be heating. After verifying voltage to plugs, take each one out and bench test it. That is, connect 12v to top and ground the housing. Use pliers to hold the plug because it gets hot fast! Should glow cherry red in 4-5 seconds.

You mentioned charging the battery. Did charging make it spin the starter faster? Or, did it seem to spin as fast as you remember before problems?

Hang in there and give as much detail, and feedback about what folks have recommended, as possible. Several guys on here who are both knowledgeable and helpful.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
After your battery is charged, check the voltage. Then check voltage while cranking the engine, or if you have a tester us it to put the battery under a load. Be sure the terminals are clean and the wires are clean at the other ends also.

I had a battery that way 16 months old in a TG1860. Clean and looked like new. When I checked it under load it dropped to about 3volts. Oh, it was an Orchelin battery. This was a top post. Called them, 3 months warranty. Don't bother buying batteries from Orchelin Farm and Home!

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
D2Cat I'm so sorry about your battery. Mine is a Walmart battery, 3 year replacement so I'm good there. J metcalf thanks but it is leaking out of the pump at a decent stream down the pump. I hope that I get to meet you for your g 1800 parts mower. Thanks to all who have posted I will be working on getting my 30 acres of lawns cut before it is supposed to rain on Wed- Sun. So hopefully Wednesday I can get it torn apart and diagnosed if not fixed. Thank you all again!

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
I will do the two filters tomorrow anyway since those will be simple and quick. I hope it's that simple.

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
I did check the fuel filters. The rear fuel filter lets fuel flow unrestricted. I can not however get any fuel to the front line or the front fuel filter. Does this mean I have a bad fuel pump? Is the Kubota fuel pump the only one that will work? I am not really excited about spending 140.00 for a fuel pump. My Tahoe and my Volvo fuel pumps were cheaper!

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Sounds like it probably is a fuel pump. If fuel is getting to rear filter unrestricted, it should be running by gravity at least to just below the front fuel filter. If you unhook the tube from the bottom of the front filter, does fuel run out? If it does, it's almost certainly a fuel pump problem. If it doesn't, you could have a blockage between the filters. It's a 30-second test worth doing.

I can't remember exactly the elevations of the bottom of the fuel tank and the front filter, but make sure you have enough fuel in the tank to push fuel through via gravity.

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
You can put about any electric fuel pump on in the original position. My G1900 had one on it from O'Rielly I believe. Whole lot cheaper than the original replacement style. I assume you checked any electric fuses also? The rear fenders come off with about 6 bolts and makes it much easier to work on the tank and fuel pump.

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
The guy who had this before me has a button starter under the hood. Even with the engine cranking no fuel is coming out before the front filter location. I will remove the rear filter and see if I can low the line out with compressor. I guess I'll go to Oreilly's and get a new fuel pump. I guess I'm going to get some new glow plugs too with the new fuel filters and fuel pump. Can they match the glow plugs at Oreilly's or should I get them from Kubota?