Could the USA claim the moon?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I know this is totally off the wall probably, but it is something I have often wondered about over the years...once in a while...not that often.

I remember that if countries were the first to set foot on land somewhere, and planted a flag, they could claim that land as their own. I think that is what I learned as a poor, uninterested high school student anyway. LOL

So if this is actually the case, could the USA claim the moon since they were the first and only to ever have a person set foot on it, and to plant a flag on it?

Off the wall I guess, but can't stop wondering...when I think about it, which is not often...

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I know this is totally off the wall probably, but it is something I have often wondered about over the years...once in a while...not that often.

I remember that if countries were the first to set foot on land somewhere, and planted a flag, they could claim that land as their own. I think that is what I learned as a poor, uninterested high school student anyway. LOL

So if this is actually the case, could the USA claim the moon since they were the first and only to ever have a person set foot on it, and to plant a flag on it?

Off the wall I guess, but can't stop wondering...when I think about it, which is not often...
Claim, sure why not. I would think anyone could claim it…when you say claim…to who would it be claimed to…claiming is not ownership. Ability to occupy and defend from other claims is an entirely different matter.

Reactions: 1 user

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
My Dad claimed the moon years ago, when I was a small boy. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My Dad claimed the moon years ago, when I was a small boy. Lol
OK, but if you look at history, the reason countries have different landmasses because they were the first ones to set foot on those locations and plant their flag and claim them. For example maybe Greenland. And probably most of the USA too. So it’s not simply saying that one country says that’s mine because I want it to be. It’s because they actually did something that is proven historically to be enough to be able to claim it.

so I think you’re missing the point that just saying you claim something, without any proof that you actually have any basis to claim it is simply nonsense, which a small boy obviously wouldn’t realize, but as an adult we all should.

Not saying that being able to do something like that, historically, is the right thing, Just observing that it has been done in the past over the centuries and not sure why it wouldn’t true today and in the future as far as the earth goes and people living on it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I don't like cheese so the USA can have it !!!
There's nothing worthwhile to get from it,at least not 'cost effective'

bottom line.... the 'indigenous' will claim it's theirs anyway......

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It wouldn’t surprise me a bit for the USA to claim the moon and then have a gaggle of whatever politicians were involved thumping their chests about their “historic achievement”. During the 50 years or so I’ve been old enough to pay attention to what was going on, I don’t think it would rank in the top 10 of craziest nonsense we’ve done.

While those of various political persuasions would likely have equally varied lists, I don’t imagine many long term US citizens would disagree.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No we can not there is an agreement that no single country can claim any celestial body.

Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies
The Moon Agreement was considered and elaborated by the Legal Subcommittee from 1972 to 1979. The Agreement was adopted by the General Assembly in 1979 in resolution 34/68. It was not until June 1984, however, that the fifth country, Austria, ratified the Agreement, allowing it to enter into force in July 1984. The Agreement reaffirms and elaborates on many of the provisions of the Outer Space Treaty as applied to the Moon and other celestial bodies, providing that those bodies should be used exclusively for peaceful purposes, that their environments should not be disrupted, that the United Nations should be informed of the location and purpose of any station established on those bodies. In addition, the Agreement provides that the Moon and its natural resources are the common heritage of mankind and that an international regime should be established to govern the exploitation of such resources when such exploitation is about to become feasible.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The inteligent creatures living inside the moon will take issue with this kind of talk.

Film was made 120 years ago.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
No we can not there is an agreement that no single country can claim any celestial body.

Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies
The Moon Agreement was considered and elaborated by the Legal Subcommittee from 1972 to 1979. The Agreement was adopted by the General Assembly in 1979 in resolution 34/68. It was not until June 1984, however, that the fifth country, Austria, ratified the Agreement, allowing it to enter into force in July 1984. The Agreement reaffirms and elaborates on many of the provisions of the Outer Space Treaty as applied to the Moon and other celestial bodies, providing that those bodies should be used exclusively for peaceful purposes, that their environments should not be disrupted, that the United Nations should be informed of the location and purpose of any station established on those bodies. In addition, the Agreement provides that the Moon and its natural resources are the common heritage of mankind and that an international regime should be established to govern the exploitation of such resources when such exploitation is about to become feasible.
Who/when was that signed and ratified that for the USA? By our constitution our government can and does break treaties/agreements/accords etc…typically congress would be involved. (Unless I am misunderstanding it, moon agreement is an agreement for those that have not and most likely will not be there anytime soon…big 3 not part of it.)

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
That UN 'agreement' isn't worth the paper it was written on. Any of the founding countries and 'veto' it. Lots of examples of that happening.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The people of the moon say we are not welcome back thats why we are going to mars

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why would the US want to claim it? Been 50 years and nothing there to make us want to go back!

I always wonder what happened to that 15' of ash type material they were concerned about landing in/on.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Why would the US want to claim it? Been 50 years and nothing there to make us want to go back!

I always wonder what happened to that 15' of ash type material they were concerned about landing in/on.
That is actually one of my peeves…that we waste resources and national treasure on plans to go back to that dusty rock…and plans to go to Mars, for future generational-settlement, etc….. when we SHOULD be paying attention to taking better care of this very unique rock called Earth. If we want to explore for science and research and potential riches…it should be the ocean… before we finish destroying it.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Earth First!!

We'll destroy the other planets later.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If we make the Mars a State, I could forsee it's first two Senators..The Honorable.....

1697108221629.png

and

1697108317646.png

.................because you can't make this stuff up anymore.....................

(Can you imagine how scared Admiral Yamamoto would have been to face off against this Admiral?)