Cheap "block heater"

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I can't offer any facts about that, but my experience has been that it occurs at temperatures below about 10 degrees F.
Thanks, if so I don't think I need to worry about that. But just in case, any idea how long a shelf life that additive has?

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Thanks, if so I don't think I need to worry about that. But just in case, any idea how long a shelf life that additive has?
I buy it in gallon jugs from the local Tractor Supply store. For my use that lasts me about 5 years. I haven't had any problem with it.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I buy it in gallon jugs from the local Tractor Supply store. For my use that lasts me about 5 years. I haven't had any problem with it.
Great! Thanks! I think I'll get some just to be safe. I need to take a couple cans over there anyway for some "red fuel".

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It varies but summer blend fuels can jell as high as 28°F
I run Power Service in all my tractor fuel year round, but I once left a small glass bottle of untreated summer blend outside overnight at 25 degrees F and could see a little waxy build up at the surface the next morn. It was gone in minutes after the sun hit it, but that was enough to convince me it was better to be safe than sorry.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks for the feed back guys, I will probably just but the block heater from the dealer to be safe but like the last gentleman said the rest of the tractor (driveline/hydraulic wise) is still ice cold.

- Jake
If you read a Kubota owner's manual carefully, after getting the engine started there is a significant period it should run at a high idle. The amount of time depends upon the outside temp.

Below is a Kubota idling time chart.

Dave M7040

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
It varies but summer blend fuels can jell as high as 28°F
I had wondered if there was a summer/winter blend and was going to ask!
I'll have to ask when my CO-OP get's winter blend because my tractor doesn't see a lot of use all the time.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
If you read a Kubota owner's manual carefully, after getting the engine started there is a significant period it should run at a high idle. The amount of time depends upon the outside temp.
Dave M7040
At temps of 60 and above do you think 1 minute is sufficient? Actually if I'm putting on a nearby implement I'll use LOW range to position it then let it run. I did read that chart before but I didn't remember the "half throttle" part. I'll probably still let it go a minute at 2K then half for just a few minutes. It isn't often it gets very cold here.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I run Power Service in all my tractor fuel year round, but I once left a small glass bottle of untreated summer blend outside overnight at 25 degrees F and could see a little waxy build up at the surface the next morn. It was gone in minutes after the sun hit it, but that was enough to convince me it was better to be safe than sorry.
I do the same thing. MUCH better to be safe than sorry.
I do add a bit extra in cold weather just to be safe.