Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
seems to be a lot of us hovering the seven-oh mark !
I got an estimate (NOT a 'quote' ) to put 2nd story on my 2 car garage....
drum rolll...

$90K !!!!
we're talking some TJIs, 2by6s, waferboard and yuck2by4 roof trusses....
oh yeah... I'm SUPPLYING the zoomboom/operator...

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
seems to be a lot of us hovering the seven-oh mark !
I got an estimate (NOT a 'quote' ) to put 2nd story on my 2 car garage....
drum rolll...

$90K !!!!
we're talking some TJIs, 2by6s, waferboard and yuck2by4 roof trusses....
oh yeah... I'm SUPPLYING the zoomboom/operator...
I had about $17k in mine back in 2003 with the lift, hired the concrete pour with me doing the forms. Then I did hemlock board and batten over 1/2" osb and 1/2" foam board. Needs a good cleaning out this spring.

I worked in the trades so electric was easy. I come from a family of carpenters and barn builders.

I used my 8N with a winch powered lift frame pole I made on the 3pt to raise the trusses.

I can't imagine what it would cost now. Now I would probably have to hire it or take 3 to 4 times as long.

Bill

Reactions: 2 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
That would sure make changing blades and cleaning under the deck a lot easier. (y)

View attachment 94586
I use my Dannmar asymmetrical 2 post to lift my Tiger Cat 2. I have to have the deck down and the grass flap closed but the "front" arms reach the frame right behind the back tires and the "rear" arms reach the frame right behind the caster wheels. Makes life way easier!

Reactions: 2 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
curious.... what does 4 pieces of steel, painted yellow from 'turfrail' cost ?? No info on their website.
A 'ballpark' price.... $500, $1000, $2000 ???
Turf rail is about $3700, Bendpak make a turf lift adapter for $2700, not cheap! I understand that turf rail is the only ALI certified such device. ALI certified lifts are far much more expensive that un certified hobby lifts.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
.. can be used with larger 2 post lifts to allow you to lift anything up to 7,000lbs, this is a great idea and will allow me to just have one heavy duty 2 post lift that will cover all my vehicle needs (Diesel GMC 3500 ...
errr not sure id work under a 7,000 pound truck on a 7,000 pound lift.
If i had to get another lift to fit an HD truck it would be 10k.

ymmv. (opinions stated in this post are my own and not necessarily those of anyone else on OTT)

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
errr not sure id work under a 7,000 pound truck on a 7,000 pound lift.
If i had to get another lift to fit an HD truck it would be 10k.

ymmv. (opinions stated in this post are my own and not necessarily those of anyone else on OTT)
The Turf Rail attachment is rated at 7,000lbs, I’m planning to use it on a Challenger CL 12 two post lift rated for 12,000 lbs. So for car and truck use it will be a 12,000 lbs rated lift. Many 10,000 lbs lifts are not really considered capable for a GMC 3500 diesel Denali. Remember 10,000 lbs means a maximum of 2500 lbs per lift arm. I like a safety margin and will only use a ALI certified lift just as pretty much any dealer would if they employee mechanics.

The Turf Rail will allow me to work comfortably on my MX 5800 and my 2 L series as well as UTV, ATV and all the other toys.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man that would hae been a gawd sent about 50 years ago, would have made clutch and transcriptions a lot easyer

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
YIKES.......
I can buy a 9000# 2post lift for $3700 Canucks. It just seems 'wacky' to me.... yes, I understand the 'certified' aspect but for a homeowner...yeesh...

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Yes lifts are spendy compared to a few years ago. My Dannmar 10acx ( 10k asymmetrical certified lift) was $2,398 delivered in July 2015 and they tossed in the truck frame adapters for free....

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Not knowing exactly how my concrete would have handled a two post lift, I would have had to bust out and pour new supporting concrete bases for a two post lift.

I was also curious how critical knowing the balance point of each setup would be for each type of "lift" on a two post lift. When lifting a vehicle, that wouldn't change once you've determined it. But for using the lift for a tractor and its implements....how critical would it be?

Such as loader on or off? Backhoe on or off? Then there's the rototiller, flail mower, snow blower. And figuring out actual lift points on the rig for each of those situations?

After having this lift for a couple of years now, mine gets used for the tractor and implement cleaning/maintenance much more than doing vehicle maintenance. It just seems too easy to not worry about weight distribution and just back up onto or drive up onto and go to work. As an example: when changing and sharpening blades on the flail mower or cleaning the deck of the rear finish mower.
Flail on the Lift.jpg Working Under Lift.jpg

For a two post lift, I would have had more money invested in just the concrete work vs. this lift. But barring that, would a two post lift be just as easy to use in reconfiguring the lifting points without any other special adapters for non vehicle lifts?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
It is a fully adjustable frame / carriage that can be used with larger 2 post lifts to allow you to lift anything up to 7,000lbs, this is a great idea and will allow me to just have one heavy duty 2 post lift that will cover all my vehicle needs (Diesel GMC 3500 pick up down to small car)
Double check the weight of your truck. My F3fiddy weighs 8330 full of fluids. I'd want a 10k lift at the minimum for it.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Not knowing exactly how my concrete would have handled a two post lift, I would have had to bust out and pour new supporting concrete bases for a two post lift.

I was also curious how critical knowing the balance point of each setup would be for each type of "lift" on a two post lift. When lifting a vehicle, that wouldn't change once you've determined it. But for using the lift for a tractor and its implements....how critical would it be?

Such as loader on or off? Backhoe on or off? Then there's the rototiller, flail mower, snow blower. And figuring out actual lift points on the rig for each of those situations?

After having this lift for a couple of years now, mine gets used for the tractor and implement cleaning/maintenance much more than doing vehicle maintenance. It just seems too easy to not worry about weight distribution and just back up onto or drive up onto and go to work. As an example: when changing and sharpening blades on the flail mower or cleaning the deck of the rear finish mower.
View attachment 94660 View attachment 94661

For a two post lift, I would have had more money invested in just the concrete work vs. this lift. But barring that, would a two post lift be just as easy to use in reconfiguring the lifting points without any other special adapters for non vehicle lifts?
You raise some very good concerns about lifts in general, in doing some research there are a number of key considerations:

Most 4 post lifts are not suitable for lifting a tractor as their lift capacity reduces drastically based on reducing wheelbase. For example a 200” long ramp on a 4 post lift that is certified to 9,000 lbs, will lift a regular F150 pick up, however the manufacturer is advising that it has a safe capacity of only 25% or 2,250 lbs for something with a wheelbase of 90”. Most 4 post lift owners are not aware of how significantly the manufacturers change the safe lifting capacity based on shorter wheelbase.

For 2 post lifts, you have to have some idea where the center of gravity is for whatever you are going to lit and also what type of lift adapters you are going to use at the end of the lift arms. An ALI certified lift will come with a guide of how to lift most vehicles, arm placement, arm adapters etc. As you comment you must also have a suitable floor to mount and safely use a 2 post lift, many users have to modify their floor at great cost.

I would never consider lifting a tractor with a 2 post lift and it’s 4 arms, tractors do not have lift or Jack points in the same sense as a car or truck and center of gravity for a tractor is very variable.

My original post is about Turf Rail which is a clever frame and rail system that quickly fits on a 2 post lift that is typically rated at 10,000 - 12,000 lbs. This 2 post lift adaptor provides 2 wheel trays that can be placed at any wheel base below 126” and will lift an item such as a tractor by the wheels, taking away all of the issues about lift points and center of gravity. The Turf Rail lift system is rated to lift 7,000 lbs and the adjustable wheel base of the lifting trays allows you to safely lift anything with wheels from tractors, UTV, atv, golf carts, mini truck, zero turn mowers, lawn tractors, snow blowers …….

As many people comment these 2 post lift adaptors are not cheap. I’m already installing a heavy duty 2 post lift for general truck and car use, so I will already have a 12,000 lb lift available to me. My mind started to wonder as to how I could use that existing 2 post lift to work on my tractors and other outdoor equipment, as usual I am not the first to raise these thoughts and quickly found a number of solutions available in the marketplace. I considered Turf Rail to be the most versatile, safe and easy to use adapter for a 2 post lift, it’s also the most expensive!

I hope my research and thoughts help any other forum user who is looking for ways to solve the issue of how to safely lift their tractor and other equipment.

The lift market is a strange place, you can buy a lift from about $2,500 to $15,000 and they look pretty similar, a key factor is certified or non certified. Do your research.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Double check the weight of your truck. My F3fiddy weighs 8330 full of fluids. I'd want a 10k lift at the minimum for it.
See one of my posts above, I’m using a 12,000 lb capacity 2 post lift, the Turf Rail lifting adaptor for tractors and outdoor equipment is rated only fo 7,000lbs.

I would not use a 10,000 lb 2 post lift for a 3500 diesel as it has capacity reducing issues and is not really rated for 10,000 lbs.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
+1 on looking for a Certified lift even if it's just for home use. In my case the tractor is high enough I don't need to use the lift for it. But it is handy for the cars and the zero turn.
One big reason for a 2 post for me is on a lot of cars it's easier and faster to drop the motor & trans out the bottom. Also easier to do major motor work on diesel super duty pickups by lifting the cab off the frame. None of those can be done on a 4 post lift. As to the price one of my boys is looking to get a lift for his barn was shocked to see the lift I bought in 2015 as more than doubled in price.....

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
See one of my posts above, I’m using a 12,000 lb capacity 2 post lift, the Turf Rail lifting adaptor for tractors and outdoor equipment is rated only fo 7,000lbs.

I would not use a 10,000 lb 2 post lift for a 3500 diesel as it has capacity reducing issues and is not really rated for 10,000 lbs.
Ah, gotcha.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Sorry if this is an overpost but I just want users to understand that:

YOU CANNOT LIFT A L2501 SAFELY ON A 9,000 LBS RATED 4 POST CAR LIFT

The safe lifting capacity on a 4 post lift is based on having 4 wheels at or near the lifting posts, as the vehicle being lifted has a smaller wheelbase the safe lifting capacity of a 4 post lift falls dramatically.

See this specification sheet from Bendpak:

Lift Capacity Bendpak.JPG

K is the runway length, towards the bottom is the "Min Wheelbase at Capacity", all of these lifts are rated for 9,000 lbs. Below this is the "Min Wheelbase @ xx %", these numbers show how the safe capacity of the lift reduces with wheel base reductions, these capacity reductions are very eye opening!

A Kubota L2501 HST without loader, no loaded tires and probably no fuel weighs 2,623 lbs acording to the Kubota data sheet and has a wheelbase of 63.3". None of the 9,000 lb 4 post lifts detailed above, that are designed to lift a car or truck is safely capable of lifting a bare non loader Kubota L2501.

As the wheelbase falls below 70" or 80" all of these lifts are below 25% capacity rating of 2,250 lbs. At 63" wheelbase a bare L2501 is an unsafe load and could result in lift / runway failure. The runway is stronger and provides more safe lift capacity the closer you are to the 4 posts.

I'm not singling out Bendpak in any way, it's just that they publish the data clearly, many lift manufacturers and sellers do not clearly publish or share this data. Many sales people of 4 posts lift do not even know about this fact that capacity diminishes with wheelbase reduction.

Think twice before putting your compact tractor on a 4 post car lift. If you are buying a 4 post lift you need to review if it is suitable for the range of cars that you will put on that lift. A 9,000 lb lift that will safely lift an F150 pick-up may not lift a small Mercedes 2 seat sports car safely!

Stay safe. I'd hate to drop my tractor of a lift!

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: lifting the cab off the frame. None of those can be done on a 4 post lift.
beg to differ. it's quite common to remove cabs as well as full car bodies using a 4 post lift,BTDT and 'as seen on TV'.shops do it . lift the body underslung on the lift, then roll the chassis out. eazy-peezy.