Car Lift For Tractor Servicing

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I'm setting up a storage / maintenance shop close to home and plan to use it for personal service and storage of vehicles, equipment and other toys. My son and I enjoy service and car projects. I have been doing some recent investigation in to purchasing a car lift that allows me to work on cars, trucks but also would allow me to do my tractor, UTV, ATV maintenance.

I got to the point where I thought I would need both a 2 post lift and a 4 post lift. 2 post for most vehicle work and 4 post for tractor and other work. As I looked closer at the 4 post lifts it quickly became apparent that with the short wheel base of my tractors it was hard to find a 4 post lift that would be safely rated to lift my tractors as the runway capacity quickly diminishes as wheelbase decreases.

I decided to buy a 2 post 12,000 lb rated lift and started to think could I find a way to use my car / truck lift to safely work on my tractors and other equipment. As I looked a little further I found a product called Turf Rail - www.turfrail.com

It is a fully adjustable frame / carriage that can be used with larger 2 post lifts to allow you to lift anything up to 7,000lbs, this is a great idea and will allow me to just have one heavy duty 2 post lift that will cover all my vehicle needs (Diesel GMC 3500 pick up down to small car) and with the Turf Rail addition I can work on my MX, L series tractors and all my other off road equipment.

Anybody own or use one of these Turf Rail lifting adaptors? Here is a photo showing the Turf Rail product in use. Sorry for the wrong color tractor below!

Turf Rail.JPG

Turf Rail 1.JPG

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't have one, but I can see that as a very worthy project.

In regards to the hoists your planning on. That is another one of those "why didn't I do that 20 years ago?" moments (actually the answer to that question for me was, because I was a mechanic 20 years ago and didn't need one at home when I built the house.)

I hate 4 post hoists though. I was always banging my da^n head on those.

Regardless, having a hoist is awesome, you'll wonder how you lived with out it. Its a tight fit for my truck but it fits.

My wife about sh!t her pants when she came home and found a hoist in a box in the driveway and the ceiling to the garage, on the floor..... IMG_39041[1].jpg

Love mine though.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't have one, but I can see that as a very worthy project.

In regards to the hoists your planning on. That is another one of those "why didn't I do that 20 years ago?" moments (actually the answer to that question for me was, because I was a mechanic 20 years ago and didn't need one at home when I built the house.)

I hate 4 post hoists though. I was always banging my da^n head on those.

Regardless, having a hoist is awesome, you'll wonder how you lived with out it. Its a tight fit for my truck but it fits.

My wife about sh!t her pants when she came home and found a hoist in a box in the driveway and the ceiling to the garage, on the floor..... View attachment 94551

Love mine though.
I had a two post lift in my younger days.
Wonderful toy!
Building burned.
At 82 now, ....the desire for another has evaporated.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I recently purchased a small industrial shop close to home and plan to use it for personal service and storage of vehicles, equipment and other toys. My son and I enjoy service and car projects. I have been doing some recent investigation in to purchasing a car lift that allows me to work on cars, trucks but also would allow me to do my tractor, UTV, ATV maintenance.

I got to the point where I thought I would need both a 2 post lift and a 4 post lift. 2 post for most vehicle work and 4 post for tractor and other work. As I looked closer at the 4 post lifts it quickly became apparent that with the short wheel base of my tractors it was hard to find a 4 post lift that would be safely rated to lift my tractors as the runway capacity quickly diminishes as wheelbase decreases.

As I looked a little further I found a product called Turf Rail - www.turfrail.com

It is a fully adjustable frame / carriage that can be used with larger 2 post lifts to allow you to lift anything up to 7,000lbs, this is a great idea and will allow me to just have one heavy duty 2 post lift that will cover all my vehicle needs (Diesel GMC 3500 pick up down to small car) and with the Turf Rail addition I can work on my MX, L series tractors and all my other off road equipment.

Anybody own or use one of these Turf Rail lifting adaptors? Sorry for the wrong color tractor below!

View attachment 94550
Nice gadget but I am not sure i would have much need for lifting any of my tractors. I do have a two post but its asymmetric and it seems like that system only works with symetric lifts. Plus it costs more than the lift.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I had a two post lift in my younger days.
Wonderful toy!
Building burned.
At 82 now, ....the desire for another has evaporated.
I'm looking forward to spending less time crawling under things to do my maintenance and projects, I'm a long way from 82 but those joints are stiffer than they used to be .. lol

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm looking forward to spending less time crawling under things to do my maintenance and projects, I'm a long way from 82 but those joints are stiffer than they used to be .. lol
I bought mine at age 60 - one of the best tool investments ever.

Dan

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I have a Golf brand at work with their turf kit. It is a bit different than the 2 tray like above.
0DC9192F-5F3E-42B7-997A-8EC41B81BEC8.jpeg
E1A20491-21FF-4EDE-9C09-0E278B67ACAE.jpeg
74A62D6A-7E77-4A60-9E2C-3E95DA553D62.jpeg
4A40C1C4-7FC7-4C7A-8A9E-B7E11B060DAF.jpeg
0D469C4D-8FF4-4AA5-9975-C31E6B81C077.jpeg

I needed max versatility, as you can see, I have a lot of different types of equipment to work on.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My uncle was a Chief Engineer in the Navy for years, and after getting out had a career working on heavy farm equipment. He had a pit in the shop that he used just about every day. A lift has been on my wish list for years, but a recent barn project over an old water cistern has me thinking that a pit for oil changes might be in my relatively near future.

Pits aren't necessarily the most efficient use of floor space, but if you can cover them up and get easy access when needed they can be very useful additions to a shop or garage.

Reactions: 2 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Nice gadget but I am not sure i would have much need for lifting any of my tractors. I do have a two post but its asymmetric and it seems like that system only works with symetric lifts. Plus it costs more than the lift.

Dan
Dan,

You are correct, it is for use on a 2 post symmetric lift setup. As far as cost goes, I wish I would have purchased a lift 5 years ago, they were a fraction of the price of what they are today! Nothing is cheap anymore. I'm fortunate that budget is not my key consideration. Quality shop time with my son is a pleasure and is priceless.

As you said it is one of the best tool investments you made, I'm a year younger than you were and looking to free up from work and pursue things I like a little more.

I'm buying a 12,000 lb ALI certified lift for vehicle use, it is an expensive investment and the add on Turf Rail just adds to the cost. As far as being a gadget, I personally have a lot of equipment that it will allow me to lift safely and do service / maintenance work on, someone came up with a good idea that solves the dilemma of how to use a 2 post lift to work on everything from a snow blower, atv, utv, lawn tractor up to a 7,000lb tractor.

There are other solutions that are much simpler and a fraction of the cost to adapt 2 post lifts but most of them are aimed at the 1,000 lb lawn tractor market. I'll be happy to see my friends and my sons friends when they need to use a lift.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have a Golf brand at work with their turf kit. It is a bit different than the 2 tray like above. View attachment 94557 View attachment 94558 View attachment 94560 View attachment 94561 View attachment 94562
I needed max versatility, as you can see, I have a lot of different types of equipment to work on.
Thanks for the photos. That's a great set up. I like the open space between the 2 arms. Bendpak make a 2 post lift adaptor that has an open set up at one end.

Until I started doing a bit of research I never realized about the number of solutions available to adapt lifts from just car / truck use to equipment use. I'm looking forward to doing a little more with my lift once I get it installed and set up.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
My uncle was a Chief Engineer in the Navy for years, and after getting out had a career working on heavy farm equipment. He had a pit in the shop that he used just about every day. A lift has been on my wish list for years, but a recent barn project over an old water cistern has me thinking that a pit for oil changes might be in my relatively near future.

Pits aren't necessarily the most efficient use of floor space, but if you can cover them up and get easy access when needed they can be very useful additions to a shop or garage.
I'd rather a pit than working on jacks, a 2 post lift is expensive and needs a certain thickness of floor. A lift can not be installed too close to the edge of a slab. A pit would be my second choice if I didn't have the budget for a lift.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
A pit is a great idea; however, they went out of favor years ago because fumes would settle down into them and cause problems. If you have a pit, or are thinking about adding one, make sure you include ventilation.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'd rather a pit than working on jacks, a 2 post lift is expensive and needs a certain thickness of floor. A lift can not be installed too close to the edge of a slab. A pit would be my second choice if I didn't have the budget for a lift.
Absolutely! In a perfect world I'd have a lift and a pit ... but one step at a time!

When I installed a SYE kit on my Jeep TJ a few years ago after adding a 3-1/2" Rubicon Express lift kit, I decided to replace the original clutch with a LUK clutch. I had the transfer case off (which I overhauled with all new bearings and chain) so while I was that far in it seemed wise to do as much as possible. I did all that with the Jeep on the ground. Not much fun and a pit or lift would have made it enjoyable.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A pit is a great idea; however, they went out of favor years ago because fumes would settle down into them and cause problems. If you have a pit, or are thinking about adding one, make sure you include ventilation.
Good advice! (y)

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's my Kubota Lift. I can lift the Kubota with any implement mounted and work underneath. Or store anything up above when not in use. My concrete floor was my limiting factor for a two post lift. But after finding this one, I'm much happier with it. Plus, it can be moved around as needed. Brand is "Advantage".
9000 lb capacity.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious.... what does 4 pieces of steel, painted yellow from 'turfrail' cost ?? No info on their website.
A 'ballpark' price.... $500, $1000, $2000 ???

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I did all that with the Jeep on the ground. Not much fun and a pit or lift would have made it enjoyable.
Try doing an R&R on a transmission on a gravel driveway. Even a concrete driveway would be a huge improvement! o_O

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
19 years ago when I turned 50, I had decided to end laying on the ground for repairs. I put up a 40'x32' shop with 12' walls so there was room for a lift. Have an 8000 lb 2 post and it has served me well. I think it was about $2500 delivered. I used a monolithic slab for the floor with it in mind so it was thick enough and reinforced.
Can't go wrong with your own lift but you will have a lot of family stopping by!

Bill

Reactions: 4 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I bought mine at age 60 - one of the best tool investments ever.
Dan
^^^^^^

Is that the recommended age? If so.....I need to tell the Wifey I am 8 years late and need to get one quick!

Probably go over like a 'Screen Door on a Submarine'....but worth a try.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users