BX25 Rear Differential

Krehling

Equipment
Bx25
May 12, 2017
PA
We have a BX25 with less than 200 hours. The rear differential gear broke from the posi-lock engagement lever. I have an issue with it breaking with such low hours. The dealer said there is no replacement that it must be rebuilt. With the cost being $5100 which includes $3500 in labor. Has anyone encountered this before? Any other options?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
We have a BX25 with less than 200 hours. The rear differential gear broke from the posi-lock engagement lever. I have an issue with it breaking with such low hours. The dealer said there is no replacement that it must be rebuilt. With the cost being $5100 which includes $3500 in labor. Has anyone encountered this before? Any other options?
Not being critical here - but was it used correctly? Spinning wheels and engagement would be my first thought of breaking. Should be no way to break the ring gear unless the gear itself was spinning rather quickly.

I have about the same hours on the same machine, I have used the diffy-lock about 10 times, and 99% I was in the mire and muck. Each time I am looking at the wheel spin and then stop to engage the lock, sometimes I had to give it a little movement to have it engage however.

The cost seems high to me too - I would think you could replace the entire rear end for that!:)

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
That is definately the weak link in the BX series tractors. I am currently rebuilding a BX2200 and that's what happened to it. Diff lock pin sheared exploding the spider gears and punching a hole in the aluminum case.

I agree that the price is WAY out of line. Try calling around to other dealers

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Only time I've seen one broken was overloading, or spinning wheel and then it grabs. Break it every time. I wouldn't consider it fragile, but it'll happen with the right conditions.

$3500 labor? My goodness whats his labor rate, $350/hr? That is certainly questionable. I wouldn't figure much more than 12-14 hrs to do a trans overhaul. Once out of the frame it ain't that hard to rebuild one.

SkylineAcres16

Equipment
Kubota MX5800 HST, International B-275 Diesel
Sep 3, 2016
Virginia
I literally saw one the other day in the shop and they were replacing the transmission. I asked what happened and he said they used the differential lock while wheels spinning. It looked like a very costly repair.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Each time I am looking at the wheel spin and then stop to engage the lock, sometimes I had to give it a little movement to have it engage however.
I have to use my diff lock regularly. Do the same routine as Hokie.

I always viewed it in a similar fashion to getting my Chevy Silverado spinning in 2WD, and engaging the 4WD. I do put it 4WD while driving, but never throw in 4WD while spinning.

It's of no help to the OP and may not be the cause of his break, but maybe others will take note. Engaging the lock on the fly/spinning is known to cause problems.

kuvasz101

Equipment
BX 1870
Dec 28, 2019
Feeding Hills, Ma US
I notice all the rear differential locks that have sheared off are on the BX25 models. Does the BX18 series have diff lock problems as well or is it just BX25 specific?

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I think it applies to all models not just bx series.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think it applies to all models not just bx series.
Absolutely. I wouldn't slam the diffy lock on any tractor while spinning.

Still won't slam my Chevy into 4WD while spinning either.;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Absolutely. I wouldn't slam the diffy lock on any tractor while spinning.

Still won't slam my Chevy into 4WD while spinning either.;)
Or my Ford or the wife's Suburban or either of my M9's for that matter. Engaging any diff lock on a spinning mass is inviting disaster.

You can grenade anything with the proper abuse.

Labor sounds a bit high but them maybe the dealer really don't want to fiddle with it and shot a high price because...

bet the OP won't pull that shot again.;)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Or my Ford or the wife's Suburban or either of my M9's for that matter. Engaging any diff lock on a spinning mass is inviting disaster.

You can grenade anything with the proper abuse.

Labor sounds a bit high but them maybe the dealer really don't want to fiddle with it and shot a high price because...

bet the OP won't pull that shot again.;)
Flat rate time from Kubota to replace differential gears is 11 hours. That is what they pay the dealer for warranty repair. You can bet they aren't overpaying!