BX23S new from dealer - front axle BONE DRY

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
When the tech is draining the fluid you can try to get it filtered though a fine filter (paint or coffee) to see if there is any metal involved. I would have clean containers to drain the fluid into and keep it if possible in a container (sealed in front of the tech and signed by tech). Pictures may be good of steps
Of course you would be asking this as courteously as possible. The tech does not have to comply. His orders from his boss may be different.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
That's alarming. I'm curious though, did you pop the drain plug to verify it was in fact totally empty? I'm not sure how I would approach this without being in the situation myself but I surely wouldn't just let them fill it up and leave and say thanks. Also - hats off to you for actually checking it. While I did change my front axle at 50 hours on my L2501, I didnt ever actually check it prior to that, and I honestly should have. I was so green to tractors at the time of purchase I didnt realize it was something I needed to check. That was 2 years ago now, and Ive learned a lot since then. If I ever buy a tractor again I will not move it until I check everything over. Every fluid, all the zerks, check filters are tight, inspect air filter, etc etc. You can not be too cautious - to not do so is to essentially place your faith in someone else who you dont know and who will not be there when something goes wrong.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I haven't seen any update from the OP since post #6.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
My BX was low, but not empty. Seems to be a regular "miss" during dealer set up.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I know this is the dealer's fault, just like my dealer did not fill mine. (Mine did have some, but not much.)

However, I have to wonder if Kubota could not do something to alleviate this. Maybe attach a placard to the fill plug, saying something like, "Fill before use."

It doesn't help the OP, me or the others that this has happened to, but sheesh, I am getting tired of seeing this mess.

I actually thought about reaching out to Kubota Corporate a while back suggesting something, but changed my mind.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I know this is the dealer's fault, just like my dealer did not fill mine. (Mine did have some, but not much.)

However, I have to wonder if Kubota could not do something to alleviate this. Maybe attach a placard to the fill plug, saying something like, "Fill before use."

It doesn't help the OP, me or the others that this has happened to, but sheesh, I am getting tired of seeing this mess.

I actually thought about reaching out to Kubota Corporate a while back suggesting something, but changed my mind.
On the Pre-delivery check sheet that has to be filled out and sent to Kubota at settlement, it lists to check the fluid level. Some dealers are just checking the box on the PDI sheet but not checking the fluid level. The sad part is, every dealer knows that they are low, but do not top them off.
When the dealer can check the box, but doesn't check the level, it's a serious dealership problem.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
On a similar issue....
If you buy a trailer axle be SURE to grease the bearings !!! From the store they ONLY have a wee bit of grease on the bearings,Just enough to preload the races NOT enough to go down the road !!!

Reactions: 1 user

stonyfarmer

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 24, 2021
North Carolina
Okay, an update:
  • I was not able to get the tech to drain out all the gear oil, but he did partially open the bolts on both sides and confirmed there was at little a little oil behind them.
  • He claims he added 1.5 quarts. When I checked it, I don't think it was quite up to where it should be, but the oil is at least visible from the dipstick hole now. I'll confirm and update if I add more.
  • He seemed remarkably unconcerned, said any issues would probably be only with the pinion gear, and would be covered by warranty. Admittedly, he did not strike me as an expert tech as he spent much of the time on the phone with someone back at the dealer asking for example where to find the bolts to drain the gear oil.
It could be my imagination, but the "whine" in 4WD sounds a little quieter now. Does that make sense or was it probably my imagination?

The dealer has made no offer of an extended warranty nor even checked in to see if I'm satisfied with the resolution.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, reduced whine is possible,a s more oil on things that go round and round.....
BTW you'd have to put a LOT of hours on 'meshing gears' without any oil to destroy them.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
At least they did something, but that doesn't sound like the most pleasant dealer experience.

If at any point you want to consider a different dealer, PM me. I'm in the same general area.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Okay, an update:
  • I was not able to get the tech to drain out all the gear oil, but he did partially open the bolts on both sides and confirmed there was at little a little oil behind them.
  • He claims he added 1.5 quarts. When I checked it, I don't think it was quite up to where it should be, but the oil is at least visible from the dipstick hole now. I'll confirm and update if I add more.
  • He seemed remarkably unconcerned, said any issues would probably be only with the pinion gear, and would be covered by warranty. Admittedly, he did not strike me as an expert tech as he spent much of the time on the phone with someone back at the dealer asking for example where to find the bolts to drain the gear oil.
It could be my imagination, but the "whine" in 4WD sounds a little quieter now. Does that make sense or was it probably my imagination?

The dealer has made no offer of an extended warranty nor even checked in to see if I'm satisfied with the resolution.
Well, you can only take his word for the amount of oil he put in.

But what I would do in your case is drain everything out, and add a measured amount of new oil, up to the same point on the dip stick and see what the difference was.

(First drive the tractor a bit to ensure the oil is equal on both sides of the axle, and record the level.)

Subtract 1.5 quarts from the amount of oil you put back in to get to the current fill line. (again, operate the tractor enough to equalize oil levels) The difference should indicate the amount of original oil that was in there before the tech arrived. Trouble is you do not know the exact amount of oil the tech added. But you would get some relative indication of what things were initially.

This would likely either give me peace of mind Or be a major concern flag.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
He should not have done that. He should have drained it out to see what amount was currently in it and what it looked like. It seems a bit deceptive to have done that, or at the very least, lazy with little concern on the tech's part.

My dealer did offer to come out and even disassemble my axle. I am not sure if there would have been some excuses made though had I accepted the offer. However, I said I did not want the front axle disassembled. Mine had some gear oil in it, but none up top in the axle. Maybe two quarts, but I think about 1.5 quarts. I suspect yours was similar in relation to the size of your axle.

I sort of did what Henro said. I drained mine out completely after I had topped it off with cheaper Tractor Supply gear oil. I ran it for about 10 hours before I did that. I then visually examined all the gear oil and looked for any metal particles or colors that might look unusual. I didn't notice any. I will drain and fill one more time next year probably with the Kubota oil that was given to me.

I consider my experience a life lesson learned, but an inexcusable mistake from my dealer. I knew better than to trust people,. because I really don't.

Last edited:

stonyfarmer

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 24, 2021
North Carolina
He should not have done that. He should have drained it out to see what amount was currently in it and what it looked like. It seems a bit deceptive to have done that, or at the very least, lazy with little concern on the tech's part.
It felt that way to me as well. The first thing he wanted to do when he got there was pour more oil into it. It took some convincing to get him to check the drain plugs first.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It felt that way to me as well. The first thing he wanted to do when he got there was pour more oil into it. It took some convincing to get him to check the drain plugs first.
Because they don't care. When I went to the dealer and talked to the salesman after I discovered mine "empty", I told him exactly that, but with more colorful language.

Chances are it is OK. I am not too worried about mine, but it does piss me off if I think about it a while.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Gear oil.
That would concern me and be a reason to drain what is in there and replace it with a known oil.

Not sure today, but it used to be that front axles were filled with the same fluid that was in the tractor itself, for the hydraulics and HST. I think it was SUDT, if I remember right.

If he dumped regular gear oil in the front axle, you may now have a mix of fluids in there.

Do not know if this is an issue or not in the practical world, but it would be in my world...

Reactions: 1 user