BX23S new from dealer - front axle BONE DRY

stonyfarmer

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 24, 2021
North Carolina
I bought a new BX23S from a dealer a few weeks ago. I have about 11 hours on it so far.

When I checked the fluids for the first time I was alarmed to discover the front axle has absolutely zero oil in it. Nothing on the dipstick. Pushed a piece of paper down to the bottom and nothing came out on it. A picture showing the dry metal is attached.

How is this possible? Does it ship without oil to the dealer, and the dealer simply forgot to add anything? The other fluids all seem fine.

The dealer is coming Monday or Tuesday to fill it up for free, of course, but should I be worried about permanent damage given the hours I put on it before catching this (mostly in 4WD, if that matters)?

Attachments

Last edited:

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
I would demand at a minimum an extended warranty on the front axle if not the entire drivetrain. Male sure this is documented thoroughly at the dealer level and Probably with their Kubota customer support representative too.

Reactions: 2 users

stonyfarmer

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 24, 2021
North Carolina
Thanks for the replies. I'm in Durham. I'll hold back on naming this particular dealer till I see how they handle it. I don't mind the mistake if they own up to it!

I will ask them about an extended warranty and getting it documented. Good ideas.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
With only 11 hours on it...I’d demand a completely different and new tractor. An alternative would be a new axle but I’d prefer a different tractor. After-all... Kubota’s own Owner’s Manuals stress the importance of the break in period and specifically insist that all the fluids be changed at 50 hours because of the need for parts to mate-up properly in those first hours of operation.
Kubota’s Own Dealer violated the terms of the warranty.

I’d also make certain the new tractor had all the proper fluids before accepting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Wow!
I guess I'll be going to the garage to go check my front diff oil.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If you talk with the dealer management about this they probably will try to take care of you. I suggest not getting confrontational, especially with the technician that comes out to put fluid in.

One thing that I would ask them to do, just for piece of mind for you; ask them to pull the drain plugs on both sides of the axle and see if any fluid comes out before they put any fluid in it. Often when you fill the front axle without opening the vent plugs air pockets form that prevent the axle from getting full of fluid. Later, when operating the tractor the fluid that did make it in the axle will settle in the lower part of the axle on each side. If that is the case here, you may be lucky and not have any real damage done.

If you handle this through management without getting emotional about it, they will probably be inclined to help you any way they can. Good luck to you and let us know the outcome.

Reactions: 3 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Later, when operating the tractor the fluid that did make it in the axle will settle in the lower part of the axle on each side. If that is the case here, you may be lucky and not have any real damage done.
If the fluid level of the front axle is below the input shaft, there was little or no lubrication of the pinion shaft bearings and possibly ring gear and pinion gears.
The tractors are shipped with oil in the front axle, most are only partly filled. Part of set up and Pre Delivery the Kubota PDI sheet lists to check fluid levels with a box to be checked. By checking the box, the dealer is stating that they checked and topped off the fluid level.
If the fluid level is low at delivery, you have a serious dealer problem.
Kubota is not going to replace the tractor, what the dealer may do is up to the dealer. If you call Kubota Customer Service, they will log your complaint and call the dealer. The keyword here is LOG your complaint, in writing with the date.
The dealer representative who comes out should drain the cases into clean pans and refill the front axle to the proper level.
Then contact your dealer and discuss the situation with them.

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If the fluid level of the front axle is below the input shaft, there was little or no lubrication of the pinion shaft bearings and possibly ring gear and pinion gears.
The tractors are shipped with oil in the front axle, most are only partly filled. Part of set up and Pre Delivery the Kubota PDI sheet lists to check fluid levels with a box to be checked. By checking the box, the dealer is stating that they checked and topped off the fluid level.
If the fluid level is low at delivery, you have a serious dealer problem.
Kubota is not going to replace the tractor, what the dealer may do is up to the dealer. If you call Kubota Customer Service, they will log your complaint and call the dealer. The keyword here is LOG your complaint, in writing with the date.
The dealer representative who comes out should drain the cases into clean pans and refill the front axle to the proper level.
Then contact your dealer and discuss the situation with them.
What if the rep drains whatever fluid is in the axle and finds that it is just low and not empty? He could measure what comes out vs what the fill level should be and determine from that what the real potential for damage is. I mean what if the level turns out to only be 10% low? There would be very little potential for damage if only missing that little fluid. My point is to determine how much fluid is actually in the axle before demanding replacement or some other remedy. Establish fact before making any demands.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
What if the rep drains whatever fluid is in the axle and finds that it is just low and not empty?....
That scenario does not consider the photograph posted which clearly illustrates a Dry front axle. It ain’t low. It’s DRY.

Most states have a “lemon law” or 30-day rejection by the buyer. At only 11 hours this example might be eligible for such, .... And THAT is why Kubota and the Dealer might be encouraged to accept the return in exchange for a new tractor or a new axle. IMO

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
(snip)

One thing that I would ask them to do, just for piece of mind for you; ask them to pull the drain plugs on both sides of the axle and see if any fluid comes out before they put any fluid in it....
This is excellent advice that I certainly would follow. For two reason specifically:

Mainly, because it documents how serious the situation is.

Secondly, if ample oil should come out, you may feel more comfortable with whatever the final resolution turns out to be.

Reactions: 1 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I would be right there when they open the drain plugs (first thing done). If nothing comes out I would have them pull the whole gear out and closely inspect / clean out any metal (if found). I would want to see what it looks like before reassemble. What else was not done!?!?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd look at ALL the grease Zerks too !!! ANY painted ones have NOT had grease pushed into them !!!!!

BTW my front axle was down a litre,well I PUT a litre in....

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I would be right there when they open the drain plugs (first thing done). If nothing comes out I would have them pull the whole gear out and closely inspect / clean out any metal (if found). I would want to see what it looks like before reassemble. What else was not done!?!?
This.. what I was thinking.. pull the plug and if nothing or very little comes out then have em fill it and drain again and check that out real good. Pic definitely shows it has never touched that area of the inners. I would at least want a new axle if found to be insufficient oil. Good luck, going to check mine now only 8.5 hours hardly had a chance to play..

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
This.. what I was thinking.. pull the plug and if nothing or very little comes out then have em fill it and drain again and check that out real good. Pic definitely shows it has never touched that area of the inners. I would at least want a new axle if found to be insufficient oil. Good luck, going to check mine now only 8.5 hours hardly had a chance to play..
He should not pull the drain plugs on it. That would show tampering and that would negate his claim. He should just let the dealer do the job.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
He should not pull the drain plugs on it. That would show tampering and that would negate his claim. He should just let the dealer do the job.
Yeah that’s what I meant.. when tech comes out. Sorry for mis-communication!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That scenario does not consider the photograph posted which clearly illustrates a Dry front axle. It ain’t low. It’s DRY.

Most states have a “lemon law” or 30-day rejection by the buyer. At only 11 hours this example might be eligible for such, .... And THAT is why Kubota and the Dealer might be encouraged to accept the return in exchange for a new tractor or a new axle. IMO
The picture shows no fluid that can be seen, however the OP never pulled the drain plugs so it's entirely conjecture if it was DRY (which I seriously doubt) or low. As WT posted, the units all ship LOW from the factory and it's a dealer responsibility to check the fluid levels and I do that when I take deliver of a new tractor myself anyway. SOP for me.

Had the same exact scenario happen to me with the 5030 HSTC that is long gone. Took delivery and no fluid on at the level plug (5030's don't have a dipstick) so out of caution, I pulled the drain plug and got about a cup of fluid out. However, when I pulled the level plugs on the outboards both flowed a bit drain plugs on the outboards, so they had fluid in them. I topped up the axle case immediately and informed my dealer that his tech didn't check like he was supposed t. Ran that unit almost 600 hours with no issue.

First thig I ALWAYS do with a new unit is go over it and check everything, always have and the low front axle was NOT the dealer I deal with now, Need to clarify that.

Not buying any more new units, anyways. I have what I have and no new will ever be here.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The picture shows no fluid that can be seen, however the OP never pulled the drain plugs so it's entirely conjecture if it was DRY (which I seriously doubt) or low. As WT posted, the units all ship LOW from the factory and it's a dealer responsibility to check the fluid levels and I do that when I take deliver of a new tractor myself anyway. SOP for me.

Had the same exact scenario happen to me with the 5030 HSTC that is long gone. Took delivery and no fluid on at the level plug (5030's don't have a dipstick) so out of caution, I pulled the drain plug and got about a cup of fluid out. However, when I pulled the level plugs on the outboards both flowed a bit drain plugs on the outboards, so they had fluid in them. I topped up the axle case immediately and informed my dealer that his tech didn't check like he was supposed t. Ran that unit almost 600 hours with no issue.

First thig I ALWAYS do with a new unit is go over it and check everything, always have and the low front axle was NOT the dealer I deal with now, Need to clarify that.

Not buying any more new units, anyways. I have what I have and no new will ever be here.
I doubt that the axle is dry too but I did not want to argue that point, not being able to see for myself. The fluid is so thin and so clear that just a few minutes after running it, that area he showed in the picture would look dry except on the closest of examination.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When the tech is draining the fluid you can try to get it filtered though a fine filter (paint or coffee) to see if there is any metal involved. I would have clean containers to drain the fluid into and keep it if possible in a container (sealed in front of the tech and signed by tech). Pictures of steps may be good to document the process

Last edited: