BX23 Issues

kinghd

Equipment
BX23
Oct 7, 2023
Pennsylvania
Hi. Just purchased a BX23 with 1238 hrs for $7k not running. Was running before I purchased, I saw it with my own eyes. Turns over and sputters but won't start. I figured it can't take too much to get it running again. My question is, where's the best, and cheapest, place to get a repair manual?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Try Kubota books dot com

the dealer m be able to sell or give you one in electronic format if you take a thumb drive and ask them.

the on line dealers like Messicks will sell you a paper copy and may have some electronic versions now

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Need to know which BX23 you have as there is 2 runs of that number.
There was a BX23D and a BX23S.
Serial number plate will tell you which you have.

kinghd

Equipment
BX23
Oct 7, 2023
Pennsylvania
Try Kubota books dot com

the dealer m be able to sell or give you one in electronic format if you take a thumb drive and ask them.

the on line dealers like Messicks will sell you a paper copy and may have some electronic versions now
I'll check that out, thanks.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I don't assume.....least not any more...
IDIOT 'dump truck driver'...drove on QEW here with his dump TRAILER UP and took out the Burlington Skyway bridge. I'd previously 'assumed' that could be possible.....
yeah Google it..you'll shake your head too.......

OK, how OLD is the fuel( more than 2-3 weeks?, How old is the tractor(10-20 years...) ?
Knowing what I went through with my then 2 year old BX23S, I suggest to drain and clean the tank, buy new filters, install and recharge the battery. Confirm all 3 glowplugs are good ( +- 1ohm each....).
Follow 'bleeding proceedure' ( could be 30 second crank, then OFF for 30 seconds, then, gloplugs for 5 steamboats and start.....

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I haven't tried that yet. I'm assuming the previous owner would know that and he couldn't get it going.
Any chance someone put gas in the tank after you saw it run?

I assume that for $7K it came with a loader? And a MMM? Not sure I would lay out that money for a non running tractor, even if I saw it running previously...Probably been a while since that tractor was new.

I guess thinking about it it probably has a backhoe...Probably the model that followed the BX22. Makes your purchase much more attractive if so.

You will probably get it running without too much difficulty. And end up with a very good tractor for that price.

Edit: I wonder if the workshop manual for the BX22 would be of any use? I believe that one is available for download at kubotabooks.com. Probably the electrics would be different, but maybe the mechanicals would be very similar. Just a thought...no clue here.

kinghd

Equipment
BX23
Oct 7, 2023
Pennsylvania
Any chance someone put gas in the tank after you saw it run?

I assume that for $7K it came with a loader? And a MMM? Not sure I would lay out that money for a non running tractor, even if I saw it running previously...Probably been a while since that tractor was new.

I guess thinking about it it probably has a backhoe...Probably the model that followed the BX22. Makes your purchase much more attractive if so.

You will probably get it running without too much difficulty. And end up with a very good tractor for that price.

Edit: I wonder if the workshop manual for the BX22 would be of any use? I believe that one is available for download at kubotabooks.com. Probably the electrics would be different, but maybe the mechanicals would be very similar. Just a thought...no clue here.
The unit is a 2004 or 5 and it does have the loader and backhoe. I was watching the guy use the loader when it stopped, he's my neighbor. I actually tried to help him restart it but didn't put much time into it. Next thing I knew he said he was selling it and I jumped on it.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
The unit is a 2004 or 5 and it does have the loader and backhoe. I was watching the guy use the loader when it stopped, he's my neighbor. I actually tried to help him restart it but didn't put much time into it. Next thing I knew he said he was selling it and I jumped on it.
By all means get one of the shop manuals. But don't lose track of the suggestions noted here. Your description implies fuel or fuel delivery issues. Good luck sorting it out!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When it died did it slowly die out over a minute or two or was it sudden like when you turn the key off in your car? Had you ever payed attention to when the tractor was shut down normally? How did it compare to that?

When you are trying to get it started now what color smoke is it exhausting?

Hopefully no one has used starting fluid on it. Please do not use any type of starting fluid in your attempts to get it started. Diesels don’t do well with starting fluid in modern engines = damage to the rods or rings or other internal parts occur.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Could it be as simple as the seat switch? The seat was turned backward for backhoe operation?

kinghd

Equipment
BX23
Oct 7, 2023
Pennsylvania
Well, it's been a while since I had time to work on this thing but today I found a bad ignition switch and ordered a new one. That may be part of the problem. I also am trying to track down the year of this thing. It's a BX23BLM Serial #63795. Where can I track down these numbers?

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
It's a 04 or 05 model BX23D to be exact depending when it sold. If you go to Messick's website and look up parts for the BX23D you will get the parts you need.

kinghd

Equipment
BX23
Oct 7, 2023
Pennsylvania
I finally got this thing running. Seems like it was just a combination of a little water, dirty filters and of course a fuel pump that was not pumping. Now I have a problem with keeping it running. It starts, revs up good but as soon as I hit the forward or reverse pedal it wants to die. I can move it very slowly but it's crawl. I know it's probably a safety switch but trying to find which one is going to be a pain.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Most likely water in the fuel. Drain and refill everything fuel-related.

kinghd

Equipment
BX23
Oct 7, 2023
Pennsylvania
Most likely water in the fuel. Drain and refill everything fuel-related.
I did drain everything from the tank to the injectors and got a little water out. refilled with fresh fuel. I can rev the hell out of it, just wants to die as soon as I try to move it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I did drain everything from the tank to the injectors and got a little water out. refilled with fresh fuel. I can rev the hell out of it, just wants to die as soon as I try to move it.
Perhaps an issue with the seat safety switch if you have one on your tractor? Just a WAG since I don't have seat safety switches on my tractors...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users