BX1500 radiator cap

mlan12

Equipment
BX1500
Aug 13, 2022
Mossyrock, Washington
I am trying to find the pressure rating for the radiator cap on a BX1500.
With the help of the counter clerk at my local auto parts store we decided to try a 13 PSI cap. This cap has worked fine. Could not find a specific cap for a BX1500, but I did find a parts supplier who listed many models of Kubota tractors that used this pressure rated cap.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
With the help of the counter clerk at my local auto parts store we decided to try a 13 PSI cap. This cap has worked fine. Could not find a specific cap for a BX1500, but I did find a parts supplier who listed many models of Kubota tractors that used this pressure rated cap.
Could you not have just bought the proper cap from a Kubota dealer? What am I missing?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
13 is probably about right. Do you still have the old cap? It will probably have the pressure rating stamped on it, but it will be in bar not psi.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Please look at the Kubota spec which has a time for pressure to drop from 13 to psi.
Do you have that info for your $7.00 cap which is protecting your machine worth thousands?
Forum BX1500 rad cap.jpg

Forum BX1500 rad cap 2.jpg

Maybe I think differently at my age but for me peace of mind knowing I have not made a substitution which, because of my lack of knowledge of my machine's requirements, puts the risk of damage too high.

Dave

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Do you have that info for your $7.00 cap which is protecting your machine worth thousands?
It has two jobs, raising the boiling point of the coolant and protecting the system from over pressurization. I would be shocked if any our techs ever tested a cap for leakage… Or if a $7 Stant cap wouldn’t be able to pass that test with flying colors.

My 3650 actually has a Lev-R-Vent cap and a Stant thermostat in it, both automotive. Upper Gates hose is from a Cobalt, I believe the lower is from a Civic. And a Goodyear automotive V-belt. All still in service without a single failure.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Radiator caps, the new oil thread! I wonder how many different opinions we can get on this topic. I just love all the bantering that ensues and it gives me great pleasure to read these types of posts late at night when there is nothing good on the TV.
Welcome to what brings joy to an insomniac.

• Haha

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It has two jobs, raising the boiling point of the coolant and protecting the system from over pressurization. I would be shocked if any our techs ever tested a cap for leakage… Or if a $7 Stant cap wouldn’t be able to pass that test with flying colors.

My 3650 actually has a Lev-R-Vent cap and a Stant thermostat in it, both automotive. Upper Gates hose is from a Cobalt, I believe the lower is from a Civic. And a Goodyear automotive V-belt. All still in service without a single failure.
With my very old Nuffield 465 I had to mix and match parts to keep it running as most maintenance type parts were no longer available.

What comes to mind when I suggest caution is a thermostat situation posted on this forum. The tractor was a new Kubota whose thermostat was controlling two water passages. The owner had bought a generic NAPA stat and now was having problems with over heating. In selecting the NAPA stat he did not understand the cooling system design on his tractor.

This is the example which comes to mind when owners start deciding what will work without having the background to make such a decision.

There are many members who are quite capable of making such decisions but there are also those owners who come here for help who are still learning

forum bottom bypass thermostat.jpg

forum Dual thermostat.jpg

Dave

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
There are many members who are quite capable of making such decisions but there are also those owners who come here for help who are still learning
Absolutely agree. OP asked the question, and was given an answer. All is well in my book.

P.S.
All my filters are Kubota.

Last edited: