BX 2380 set up

Motseir

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 11, 2020
Shoreview, Minnesota
First time on the forum...and I’m glad I found it! We purchased a 10 acre farm where our daughter and her two horses live in Minnesota. Last fall we rebuilt the barn, built two stalls, fenced two acres as well as making “season one” upgrades to the farmhouse. We had some nice neighbors that loaned me his skid steer for some of the heavier duties...but otherwise it was a lawn tractor and wheelbarrow.

Ok...had enough of that, went out an purchased a BX2380 with the FEL, and snow blade on the back. I needed to first move shavings for the stalls, manage manure , and take care of snow removal...but I am looking forward to the spring where I will want to move hay on pallets (small ones), dig better than a straight bar on bucket, and maybe add an implement or two off the back (tiller). Oh yea.... my daughter will be the operator 50% of the time....so for her sake and mine (both rookies) need to set up our BX for ease of use. So here is what I am thinking....

Pirahana tooth bar and BXpanded pallet/brush forks to optimize not having to have a bunch of individual attachments off the front, and similarly a land pride quick hitch and a heavy hitch off the back for ease of implement attachment, and ballast.(we have rim guard). So...what am I missing...does this sound like a reasonable approach? Look forward to comments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
You'll quickly find with any amount of snow the rear blade will end up being worthless.

You could consider a Front mount snowblower and blade, or at least a loader attached blade.

You have an SSQA loader use it, the BXpanded pallet/brush forks are old school get a set of real SSQA forks, they are much safer and better.

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Pallet...ightweight+pallet+forks&qid=1581559978&sr=8-8

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Small-Compact-Tractor-pallet-Forks-p/eta-scpf-42.htm
The bx can have a pin on loader or the ssqa loader. OP didnt say, but if ssqa for sure real forks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The bx can have a pin on loader or the ssqa loader. OP didnt say, but if ssqa for sure real forks.
Hummmm I didn't know that, I thought it was standard equipment on the 80 series BX's.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
SSQA is optional on BX80. The FEL with SSQA and forks lifts quite a bit less than pallet forks on the 3PH. Depending on where you're trying to move the pallets too, can be easier to work with (no ballast for starters), but obviously wouldn't lift up onto a high stack. I plan to have both 3ph and SSQA forks one day (my next tractor - no SSQA on this one).

I personally wouldn't load the tires on a BX, but each to their own. I believe you can always add ballast, but if you need the tractor light for some reason (transport, or mowing lawns) you can't remove rim guard easily. I know many people have a very different opinion, and my view is that it depends very much on usage. If none of your uses require a light tractor, then rim guard is a good idea.

Digging with a piranha bar still doesn't go very deep - make sure you understand what it can and can't do. Of course, the alternative is a backhoe, and that's really a new tractor. And an FEL and piranha bar is waaaay better than a shovel and wheelbarrow. Have you considered a grapple? Depending what you're digging, a grapple may be suitable - many people digging roots and the like with a grapple.

When you say quick hitch - how many implements are you really attaching to the back? On a larger tractor it's hard to horse the implement around to attach it. On a BX not so much because the implements are smaller. A quick hitch eats into lift capacity a bit in two ways - the weight of the hitch itself, and it pushes the implement backwards a little so changes the leverage. I regularly run out of lift on my 3ph, so it's worth considering. I have a concrete shed floor, and made dollies for each of my 3ph attachments. I just roll them up to the tractor, wriggle them a bit to attach (easy when on wheels), then lift. My partner can easily do that as well - it doesn't require much muscle. You can probably use your rear blade for ballast, or get a ballast box (I have a ballast box, it's closer to the tractor so I don't accidentally bang into things like I might with a larger implement for ballast. Of course, I don't have filled tires).

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
SSQA for sure !! Unless you've got a nice level concrete pad and a strong back, changing FEL implements is ,well, a PITA ! it was an option on the BX23S last year BTW. Since you're delivering small bales, get a 3pt 'carryall' or 'pallet fork' setup. That way when you need ballast, you backup to the 'skid of weight',lift and go. Need more bales? backup to skid of bales and away you go ! I store everything on skids ON skids ( 2 high). The lower one is either frozen onto the ground or in the mud. Over a season the lower one rots away, but easily replaced as skids are free.
I don't know what the cost was for SSQA vs pin BUT consider the TIME you'll save. At say 10 minutes per changeover, do it 6x in a day, that's an HOUR you've saved and no mangled fingers or &&^^$%#$%$^% words spoken !

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Are you sure you have a large enough machine for your needs? I would seriously weight additional weight/lifting capacity/ground engagement vs. maneuverability and storage limitations. My guess is you need around a L series for 10 acres.

Sure you can make it work, but it will take much longer with such a small machine. Don’t get me wrong they have their place, but to me they are a secondary machine on a farm of your size. Please carefully consider before you go investing in a bunch of new implements that cant be used on a larger machine.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
these are way too heavy^^ try to keep the set you pick under 130 pounds. There are a bunch to pick from, but i second the grapple idea for the farm so just skip all the research and go directly to artillian for his fork set / grapple combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-mydJ4e4k&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OFnETXlquI

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
OP, you don't mention a belly mower, so I'll assume you don't have one. And with that, an under-shield will help protect that HST fan, as well as some of the filters under there. BXPanded has a nice shield, easy on & off. Attachments are really a byproduct of what you need to do, so I'm sure you'll recognize good additions as you get some seat time.

Some more of my favorites are 3pt RFM, 3pt receiver hitch, clamp-on (FEL) pallet forks, brush forks, urethane FEL edge for asphalt snow removal, & bucket hooks.

Enjoy your new rig!

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
Digging compacted material with the loader, I'm not a fan. I prefer to loosen things up with another attachment and use the loader to scoop it up. I'll use the hoe or the box blade to loosen the hard rocky soil I have then employ the loader to remove/relocate it. I didn't buy a piranha edge just for that reason, didn't need it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
these are way too heavy^^ try to keep the set you pick under 130 pounds. There are a bunch to pick from, but i second the grapple idea for the farm so just skip all the research and go directly to artillian for his fork set / grapple combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-mydJ4e4k&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OFnETXlquI
I went back and looked up your quote's on the weight of your pallet forks, you're a little off, you don't have 100lb forks.

You have a 100lb frame, then add the forks at 112lbs or greater.
so minimum you have 212lbs more likely your in the 220lb range and that's at a minimum.

You payed ~$649 for just the frame then you had to add forks at ~$200 plus shipping.

The one's I listed are:

$485 at 265lbs
$740 at 238lbs

So for a ~$500 savings I would go with a few extra pounds of implement and a few less pounds of lift.
This is all based on if you actually use the forks you referenced.

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Not sure what set you are referring to. If E&T set, the forks are box frame probably weigh 15-20 pounds. Frame is around 90 - 100.

If referencing artillian, I don't have a set. But you aren't paying the extra money for just his forks. It's more $ because you are buying a interchangeable system, so not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
If your getting one rear blade I would consider a box blade rather than a straight blade. Many more uses and you can still push snow.i wouldn't be concerned with the naysayers I believe a BX 2380 will serve your need.

Motseir

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 11, 2020
Shoreview, Minnesota
If your getting one rear blade I would consider a box blade rather than a straight blade. Many more uses and you can still push snow.i wouldn't be concerned with the naysayers I believe a BX 2380 will serve your need.
Wow, lots to think about, thx everyone...didn’t expect the depth of discussion. So...what I “learned”.... maybe I underbought, but I’m ok with that...just want to make sure that attachments can work with bigger tractor in the future. To answer some questions... not planning on using BX2380 for mowing, at least in the short term. I already bought the rear blade, so Ill use in conjunction with the FEL for snow...didnt know there was a FEL snow blade option! I do have the SSQA it came standard on the model....seems like a quick attach fork vs bucket attached forks is the way to go....not a whole lot of weight difference, and forks in tighter to tractor= increased lift capacity?? Maybe I should consider usher options for ballast....like a 3PT fork. And maybe reconsider a rear quick hitch, because on the small tractors...its not such a big deal to hook the attachments directly to the 3PT. And finally....spend some more time in the seat, and see how I actually use the tractor before jumping in....but I do need forks. That everyone....pls feel free to continue to educate me!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So...what I ***8220;learned***8221;.... maybe I underbought, but I***8217;m ok with that...
Yeah you probably underbought, but join my club and I'm okay with it too.:)

I should have bought a "B" series, but I really love my BX.

For some of your other questions -

- I don't have SSQA, but would almost kill for it...

- how much snow you get? An SSQA snow blade is the bee's knees in my book if you don't get 120" a year. I cleared a buddy's driveway with his BX and SSQA blade while back. Worked great on a really tricky drive with turns, banks, drop-off's, etc. He had just had surgery and couldn't run it, so I helped him out.

- if you get a ton of snow - front mount blower is the only way to go. I have one. Expensive, but worth every dollar if you don't have room to push snow all winter.....

- If I had SSQA the FIRST thing I would do is get SSQA forks! Also, quick change between implements, or just leave bucket off...

- You definitely want a rear Quick Hitch! Use whatever brand/flavor you choose, but you WANT a 3-point QH! I have an $80 (w/coupon) Harbor Freight cheapie that works great. Our friend/OTT member Kenny of boltonhooks.com has what looks like a great over-sized top hook replacement that can be really handy to me. Probably my next change...

- You need 2-400 pounds of ballast for significant FEL work. I use my box blade often (300#), but sometimes in the summer use a Carry-All.

- My Carry-All is my 2nd favorite 3PH attachment. Get a $180 frame from Tractor Supply, then build it as it suits you. Will work for any Cat 1 3 point up to a 30 or 40 HP tractor. I don't have the loader on all summer, so the Carry-All is my "wheelbarrow."

Again - I think you should have gone bigger. Hell, I should have also but I'm not complaining... :D

Last edited: