Broken rear pto gear

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Looks like I would have to replace the case to repair ,does not look weldable.
A good welder could probably build up the missing sections. Then it would need machining. The 3pt is useless as is and trying to use it would be a recipe for more damage/expense.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Until you line up parts for it, I think you might be able to clean out the debris, take off the toothless gear and grind off the edges that can still contact the bigger gear, put it all back together with a crude patch over the hole to contain the oil - held in place by JB weld, and only use the mid-pto as you were doing when you recently heard the clicking. If not in contact with anything the toothless gear is ok just turning with no load, acting a a spacer to keep it all assembled. If the clicking is still there or starts again, the bearings or something else further forward is damaged and the tractor should come apart for a proper repair, keeping in mind that it could possible grenade in the meantime..

Dieter

Equipment
B 1750
Jun 4, 2022
Richfield Wi.
Until you line up parts for it, I think you might be able to clean out the debris, take off the toothless gear and grind off the edges that can still contact the bigger gear, put it all back together with a crude patch over the hole to contain the oil - held in place by JB weld, and only use the mid-pto as you were doing when you recently heard the clicking. If not in contact with anything the toothless gear is ok just turning with no load, acting a a spacer to keep it all assembled. If the clicking is still there or starts again, the bearings or something else further forward is damaged and the tractor should come apart for a proper repair, keeping in mind that it could possible grenade in the meantime..
Thanks for the morale support,this is exactly what I was thinking,it is good to have further validation.Your thoughts are much clearer than mine I didn't think about grinding down the gear a important step.thanks again.

Dieter

Equipment
B 1750
Jun 4, 2022
Richfield Wi.
Thanks to all who helped me figure out what to do to get this tractor running again, I was able to get broken gear bits out and jb weld broken cracked case for now,I used it all day Sunday with no problems,it is only rear PTO not working but it doesn't look to hard to replace gears.White stuff is sylacone that I filled cavity to help hold JB weld piece.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Muggman

Jun 11, 2022
SC
Looks like I would have to replace the case to repair ,does not look weldable.
View attachment 81328
I was mowing with the belly mower, going along fine, heard a click ,click click etc.... thought it was a stick or branch caught in mower then it stopped suddenly.what do you think would cause this? This is a B1750 and was using the middle pto.I am thinking of cleaning out the broken pieces and jb welding the case for for now.
If you are only using the mid pto maybe you could remove the rear pto shaft,put a freeze plug in the hole and reinstall cover and go. It would possibly let you use the machine till you can gather the parts.

Muggman

Jun 11, 2022
SC
If you are only using the mid pto maybe you could remove the rear pto shaft,put a freeze plug in the hole and reinstall cover and go. It would possibly let you use the machine till you can gather the parts.
Sorry, phone didn't upload your last few post.