Brand new L4701 lost oil plug and run dry

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
You have never worked as a mechanic have you?
Shop monkey or Wrench monkey is what a dealership mechanic is called, it's not what I consider a derogatory term.

But On the other had, I can look at a picture and tell they don't know what they are doing! ;)
I agree.

I've worked in shops in my younger life, and several of my buddies are mechanics. And my "Educated" opinion is.... MOST people that go into that field, do so because they can't do anything else. (so wrench monkey is a proper term) Very few do it because they truly like it. AND... the people who can think, and turn a wrench can even be pressed for time when working at a dealership... so shortcuts get taken.

This is exactly why no one works on my stuff other than me. (unless it has to go in for warranty work) Heck, they delivered my tractor, and it was leaking oil. They wanted to take it back to "Look at the problem"... but I figured they would sit on it for a week or two, so I told him I would take care of it. I found that a fitting was loose on the return side of the FEL valve. (the dealer installed it) But, it was right where the rear fenders met the frame, and was hard to get a standard wrench on it. (I used a bent distributer wrench on it) But, that just tells me the tech decided to install the valve without removing the bodywork, and then didn't check his work before delivering it. WHY IN THE HECK WOULD I WANT THAT GUY WORKING ON IT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!! He may be a good guy, and a good tech... but he works for a dealer, and his time is short when there is other things in the shop that need to go out.

My 2 cents (as an ex-tech)... take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I am sure the dealer will handle this in a professional manner .Some of the comments here are a little harsh . Two men trying to get a tractor moved . WE can not tell the true condition they are facing. Shop Monkeys Come on we are better then that.
James
I'm not better than that. If you're referring to the recovery attempt, I'm sure that they aren't handling it in a professional manner, or even a competent one for that matter.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think that Jim Dandy was trying to make the point that the tone of this whole thread was a little harsher than is typical for OTT. We usually cut folks a little more slack. There is a lot of interesting information in here as asides, from the markings on various bolts to indicate they've been checked (both my tractors have a lot, maybe colorful nail polish?) to ways to get a loader up on a dead tractor. Those of us old timers know that NIW is unlikely to say anything unkind about anyone, and even though the guy sent out to haul the tractor back was not well prepared for the job, in the long run, since it was pouring rain and a muddy hill was involved, probably best in the long run to leave it there. We could credit him for "discretion is the better part of valor." I for one don't want my tractors on the road on a trailer in the rain. Dealerships tend to send out whoever is lowest on the totem pole to pick up and deliver tractors, and what they do can be scary. I have several stories along that line.

Several people criticized Cathy Liebchen, a newbie, for her opinion that the engine was ok, without knowing if her point that the tractor could shut down automatically at low oil level could have some merit. Most of us with new computer run tractors don't actually know what the computer is or is not capable of doing. The fact that it was knocking and the oil smelled burnt doesn't sound promising, and I sure wouldn't like to keep that engine either, but she raised an interesting point. I would sure like to know more about that. I don't think mine has an oil light, just the equivalent of a "check engine" light.

Anway l hope we can go back to being thoughtful until more information is available, and I hope the OP gets his tractor taken care of well. It would be heartbreaking to only have it 12 hrs. End soapbox ;)

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
One thing I learned for this post is to check my oil plug for tightness next time before I use it!!! :) I did my own service, but hey you never know. Sh!t happens. I think doing so every once in a while after that would be a good practice and while I'm under there I'll check a few more things out as well...

Wow... it was only last year I got my new tractor and my heart goes out to you for this happening. I would be sick if it happens to me even if I've had the tractor for years!

Good luck and I hope your dealer and Kubota takes good care of you.

Ted

L4060

Jun 29, 2017
Rayne, LA, USA
One thing I learned for this post is to check my oil plug for tightness next time before I use it!!! :) I did my own service, but hey you never know. Sh!t happens. I think doing so every once in a while after that would be a good practice and while I'm under there I'll check a few more things out as well...

Wow... it was only last year I got my new tractor and my heart goes out to you for this happening. I would be sick if it happens to me even if I've had the tractor for years!

Good luck and I hope your dealer and Kubota takes good care of you.

Ted
Just be careful not to over tighten, I learned my lesson last year and had to change the oil pan on my 3430 because stripped threads from over tightening. Now I always put the torque wrench on it so I don't get carried away. :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK so lets get back to the thread, what has the dealer done, have they filed the paper work yet, are they going to give you a loaner to use? Or have they even talked to you yet?

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
Reading the thread, it's a heart break to have 12 hours and have something like that happen. I hope the dealer makes good on the tractor. I wish you all the luck on this.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
What are the torq spec on the oil drain plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What!
Drain plugs are "snug, then 1/4 turn!, Check for leaks."
Techno is a failed discipline.

When is the last time you crawled under your truck car or tractor with a fugg'in torque wrench!

Making something out of nothing!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
'Normal' factory warranty servicing is a replacement short block and perhaps a head as well. This means pulling of the existing engine, stripping it and swapping the external parts to the short block. Things like oil pan, water pump, alternator (injection pump???) will be reused. This is what is done 99.9% of the time.

Though from time to time, the manufacturer will replace the entire unit (complete tractor in your case) and send the damaged one to the training school for the n00b mechanics to practice on. Hope that happens, though a proper rebuild with an OEM supplied short block should be as good as or even better than new (hand assembled and not 'off a line').

Best of luck getting everything sorted out to your satisfaction.
Kubota does not offer a short block. What he will get is a ready to run complete engine.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What!

When is the last time you crawled under your truck car or tractor with a fugg'in torque wrench!

That is a quick way to strip out the threads in a aluminum oil pan. Most newer service manuals list a torque for the drain plugs and some of us professional Service Techs do crawl under with a torque wrench in hand.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I think that Jim Dandy was trying to make the point that the tone of this whole thread was a little harsher than is typical for OTT. We usually cut folks a little more slack. There is a lot of interesting information in here as asides, from the markings on various bolts to indicate they've been checked (both my tractors have a lot, maybe colorful nail polish?) to ways to get a loader up on a dead tractor. Those of us old timers know that NIW is unlikely to say anything unkind about anyone, and even though the guy sent out to haul the tractor back was not well prepared for the job, in the long run, since it was pouring rain and a muddy hill was involved, probably best in the long run to leave it there. We could credit him for "discretion is the better part of valor." I for one don't want my tractors on the road on a trailer in the rain. Dealerships tend to send out whoever is lowest on the totem pole to pick up and deliver tractors, and what they do can be scary. I have several stories along that line.

Several people criticized Cathy Liebchen, a newbie, for her opinion that the engine was ok, without knowing if her point that the tractor could shut down automatically at low oil level could have some merit. Most of us with new computer run tractors don't actually know what the computer is or is not capable of doing. The fact that it was knocking and the oil smelled burnt doesn't sound promising, and I sure wouldn't like to keep that engine either, but she raised an interesting point. I would sure like to know more about that. I don't think mine has an oil light, just the equivalent of a "check engine" light.

Anway l hope we can go back to being thoughtful until more information is available, and I hope the OP gets his tractor taken care of well. It would be heartbreaking to only have it 12 hrs. End soapbox ;)
The Engine Control Module will not shut the engine down for low oil pressure, high engine temp, low hydraulic oil pressure or high heat.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
What!

There was a time I'd have completely agreed with what you say. In recent years I've seen more and more people in the trades who have very limited mechanical aptitude and ability. "Nice and snug" is not a measurable or repeatable specification for lots of people. Many just don't have the feel, touch, whatever that others do. There are torque specs somewhere for anything with threads, and following them will save them. In recent electrical codes, there are even torque requirements for switches and receptacles.

The 1/4" impact driver is one tool, for example, that illustrates the decline of mechanical aptitude we face. Using the trigger to control the variable speed of the tool, some guys can run 6-32 machine screws all day long and never strip a single one. Others will twist or strip 1/4-20's because they don't have a skill level - or follow instructions - to use the VS feature. They'll run the screw in and then give several short pedal-to-the-metal bursts on the trigger.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I always use a torque wrench on my Ram with a Cummins and my Jetta with a diesel. Both have a torque spec for the drain plug. I was really surprised when I asked my Kubota dealer what the spec was for my L3901 and was told that Kubota didn't have one.

And yes, I use a torque wrench on the lugs when I rotate my tires on all my vehicles.

Grouse09

Equipment
B2650 Cab, snowblower, FEL, brush hog
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
My question about "a drain plug torque spec" revealed conversation I expected. You can thank me later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
My L4060 recently crossed 50 hours, and I can't imagine my wrath if I lost the engine even now. It is interesting how the new tractors are shipped and the assembly that is required at dealer level. Ask your dealer to take you back and show you one either crated or ready for assembly. It's a lot of work. My dealer has exactly one qualified mechanic, and he is the service manager. I consider them to be a good dealership, I have bought a total of five kubota vehicles from them and I always end up happy and sometimes that requires a little back and forth. Nevertheless, I had at least five bolts that I found loose on the 4060. I would not have checked an oil drain plug, and I did text my dealer with an FYI on the other loose bolts. I have no doubt he would stand behind a loose drain plug and for that kind of money I would get enough lawyers to assure he did if necessary.

I am very sorry to hear this happened to you and for your loss of time on your new machine.

I would add one comment to the torque issue. Torque wrenches are great and always need to be used properly. Threads must be clean and older wrenches had a pivoting handle and care had to be taken to be sure the pivot didn't stop on either side because they depend on the wrench bending from pressure on a specific point to be accurate. The new clickers are much more consistent.

But do not discount bolt turns as an accurate means for measuring torque. The purpose of using torque, or twist, is to stretch a bolt to provide a given stretch to hold components together. It is a completely acceptable engineering standard to use a given number of turns to achieve the same stretch of the bolt. Granted a plug isn't stretched as a bolt would be, but testing can easily define how many turns may be required to achieve a given torque. Again, clean threads are essential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
That is a quick way to strip out the threads in a aluminum oil pan. Most newer service manuals list a torque for the drain plugs and some of us professional Service Techs do crawl under with a torque wrench in hand.
There are some who lack the sensitivity to do things as complex as installing an oil pan plug. Every type of tool aid is recommended for those who require them.

I wonder what went missing with the OP's plug.
Wrong wrench setting perhaps?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
There are some who lack the sensitivity to do things as complex as installing an oil pan plug. Every type of tool aid is recommended for those who require them.

I wonder what went missing with the OP's plug.
Wrong wrench setting perhaps?
The OP's plug probably was not tightened and was not checked at the dealership at Pre delivery inspection even thou it is listed on the inspection sheet. Torque wrench does no good unless it is used.

Had the steel drain plug been tightened a quarter turn after finger tight , the plug would be laying on the shop floor in the middle of a puddle of oil.