blew a hole in the side of the block

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Yes I can relate:

There is nothing worse than being in the middle of construction, then having to do major surgery on a machine that you need for the construction

No joke, right now in today's diluted money, any machine that can dig 12 feet deep and is reliable, is minimum 40-50 thousand, used. I see old mini excavators that can dig 8 feet going for 30K. nothing special.

I bet you that machine is still running today...
The only downside of that machine was that it was a gasoline engine, not a diesel. The pistons were larger than a coffee can, and the crankshaft had to be removed from the side of the engine. Those engines powered many an oil well pump back in the 1960s, and they were modular, so you could add 2 additional cylinders to it and make a 4-cylinder engine into a 6 cylinder, and keep going. I don't remember all the details of how they extended the cylinders, but the cylinder and head served 2 bores, so the 4 cylinders had 2 heads, and the 6 cylinders had 3 heads.
The mistake that I made was when I honed the cylinders I didn't wash them with dishwashing liquid and the "fines" that remained in the honing marks caused the piston rings to wear out prematurely. It was a rookie mistake, and I knew better, but I was just rushing the job to get it back to work.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had a similar dilemma with a 1964 Minneapolis Moline TLB machine that had a bad engine. I did a quick rebuild with new bearings on the rods and crank, reringed the pistons, and honed the cylinders. This was back in 1983 while I was building my new home, and needed the tractor in a hurry. The problem is that in my haste, I didn't do it correctly, even though I knew how to, I just cut corners. The engine started burning oil from day one of the rebuild, and after about 75 hours of the rebuild, the engine came apart. I sourced another engine, and this time I used the best parts of both engines and I didn't take any shortcuts in getting the engine done correctly. I had the cylinders bored and honed, the crank turned and installed new bearings to match. I also had to buy new pistons and rings to fit the bored cylinders. In the end, I spent a lot of money to fix that tractor correctly, and it cost me more than the tractor was worth, but it was worth it to me to have a large tractor that could do whatever I needed it to do. When I was done with my home and didn't need the tractor any longer, I loaned it to a friend who dug his complete foundation with the tractor and when he was done with it, he delivered it back to me in better condition than when I gave it to him. He painted it with a brush and it looked like a new yellow tractor. I then advertised it and the first person to come to look at it bought it for what I thought it was worth as a reliable machine, not what other similar machines were selling for that needed work. I bought it cheap knowing it had problems, but it wasn't a bargain when I think about all that I had to do to make it reliable. At the time it made sense because I didn't have the money to spend on a new tractor. I did recoup all that I spent, and the buyer got a bargain in the sense that he had a reliable tractor for his use. There are days that I still wish that I still had that tractor since it could dig a 12' hole with ease. It originally came from a cemetery and was used to dig graves, but the people that operated it abused it hoping that they would get a new tractor. If you fix your tractor correctly the first time and then maintain it properly, it will continue to serve you well long into the future. If you just patch it up, you will be doing the job twice and wasting money in the end. Learn from my experience and do it correctly the first time and you will have a reliable tractor for years to come.
Interesting!

Like you I bought a 1350 hour (Gas- Ford 10') cemetery hoe, but in excellent running condition.
It was a 1970 Ford 3400 TLB, and I bought it for $10K in 1986.
Kept it until 2019 .

Installed two complete septic systems, and did much personal landscaping/grading.
Put only 500 hours on it, kept up routine maintenance, and did complete spray repaint prior to sale.
Adjusted valves, replaced plugs, and had zero mechanical issues during my ownership/use!
Sold it in 2019 at.... 49 years old,.... for $9K.
Buyer was delighted!

I certainly do like my 2006 Kubota L48 TLB, but there are times when I actually do miss that wonderful old Ford (the hoe bucket was 18" wide but DEEP)).
I conservatively estimate that I did well in excess of $10K worth of work, back in those past day dollar values. (likely $30K+ in today values?)

My philosophy: Make life as ENJOYABLE as possible!
When buying used equipment, go for the better quality.... even if if the cost is something more than you would like to pay!

I have NEVER bought a new tractor, and never will.
I have 3 very respectable automobiles, but have not bought a NEW vehicle since 1992!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
To the OP, If you would have just swapped the engines, you'd be done by now. From the time that you started this thread.. you would be done. Fixing the donor engine leaks too.

I've swapped a few engines in my day and 4 hours was my record time.... for a Toyota Tercel... drive in to drive out. But it was for my kid.
....And that included clutch disc, clutch plate and a b#tch to get out pilot bearing.

Plan. Plan. Plan. Get your parts. Have your tools ready. Have 4x4 posts, jacks and whatnot because you'll be splitting the tractor.

I wish you well.

I personally fall into the category of ... Just sell it all for parts and buy a new tractor. Unless it's your dream machine and you will make it your hobby.

Good luck.

North Idaho Wolfman seems to know tractors... and in my opinion, his advice is gold.

I'm done here.
I was about to write something so very similar this morning if I again saw a number of posts from the OP.

You pretty much took the words outta my mouth.

Too funny !

Reactions: 1 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
I was about to write something so very similar this morning if I again saw a number of posts from the OP.

You pretty much took the words outta my mouth.

Too funny !

I'm in the middle of a thousand other projects/obligations/prior commitments, I cant just drop everything I am doing and get on it

I'm not opening up engine/gear area that have no business getting rained on

At the minimum, I need a hard floor, a space away from the elements, and all the tools setup, air lines, etc

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Interesting!

Like you I bought a 1350 hour (Gas- Ford 10') cemetery hoe, but in excellent running condition.
It was a 1970 Ford 3400 TLB, and I bought it for $10K in 1986.
Kept it until 2019 .

Installed two complete septic systems, and did much personal landscaping/grading.
Put only 500 hours on it, kept up routine maintenance, and did complete spray repaint prior to sale.
Adjusted valves, replaced plugs, and had zero mechanical issues during my ownership/use!
Sold it in 2019 at.... 49 years old,.... for $9K.
Buyer was delighted!

I certainly do like my 2006 Kubota L48 TLB, but there are times when I actually do miss that wonderful old Ford (the hoe bucket was 18" wide but DEEP)).
I conservatively estimate that I did well in excess of $10K worth of work, back in those past day dollar values. (likely $30K+ in today values?)

My philosophy: Make life as ENJOYABLE as possible!
When buying used equipment, go for the better quality.... even if if the cost is something more than you would like to pay!

I have NEVER bought a new tractor, and never will.
I have 3 very respectable automobiles, but have not bought a NEW vehicle since 1992!

I looked up that machine, that thing looks like tank, made in detroit michigan

Last edited:

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
This is definitely the best option and the best cost, but the machine will be down for a long time
You seem to talk everyones idea out of the equation. There are only so many roads you can go, pick one. A space alien isnt gonna land and fix it for you. All the options have been listed.

1) Patch the hole like I said
2) split the tractor, you say no problem, then do it, I would if that was "my" attitude/direction,lol.
3) Decide how much time and money YOU want to invest, apparently "we" cant tell you (and shouldn't!).
4) DO IT!!

5 pages? Wow, lol!!

/soapbox

P.S. Make a new thread on the rebuild to let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Respectfully, to the OP. @joesmith123. Keep it simple and to the point. Talk about tractors, not politics. Mentioning "commies" and such will just throw you into empty space. And get you thrown out of some forums.

Many people see problems with policies and politics and diesel regulations. Not everyone agrees. This medium is NOT the place to broadcast your views.

BUT.... please remember that everything that you post in a public forum like this one, is public. Everything you say "can and will" be used against you. If you are concerned with Gov over-reach. Shut the hell up.

Fix your Kubota. And as another said, start a new thread for it. Take pictures. Keep it simple and non-political.

Now, go delete your "commie" posts. The "commies" may completely run the world soon. And you'll need to be able to buy food.

"Show me your Papers". Exists today. Government control is real... but I heard that somewhere.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm in the middle of a thousand other projects/obligations/prior commitments, I cant just drop everything I am doing and get on it

I'm not opening up engine/gear area that have no business getting rained on

At the minimum, I need a hard floor, a space away from the elements, and all the tools setup, air lines, etc
Seems like you will just enjoying spinning everyone's wheels here, until/unless you get your "ducks in a row".

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
Maybe not - from what I am gathering here, I do have options, either patch it or get the spare block
There's going to be more to this story once you get it apart. Not only is the block shot but the crankshaft is probably ruined along with the bottom of the cylinder on which the rod blew. I'd look for a good used motor or short block.

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Now, go delete your "commie" posts. The "commies" may completely run the world soon. And you'll need to be able to buy food.

"Show me your Papers". Exists today. Government control is real... but I heard that somewhere.
Meh, I am with him on this one, as long as he doesnt ramble 5 pages about it, we ALL have to push back together to make a change. Def not the optimum convo "here" though.

As for the original issue OP has, he has ALL the answers here, nuff said, he just needs to choose his direction. Dont think you need 5 pages for that, but, I guess if he wants to chat, its a generally free country after all..... :)