B7100 Dipstick calibration !

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
The plastic stop/sealer on my dipstick has become loose and can slide on the metal diptick guage.
Now I did crudely fix the plastic seal on with a small clamp but was not sure of the original correct position on the dipstick.This, of course, is important in order to have the correct reading on the dipstick mark.

Yesterday I checked my oil, with the dipstick showing low so I topped up with oil to the full mark.

After ah hour's work, I discovered a lot of oil had blown out of the rocker cover breather tube.

The stated oil capacity is 3.9 ltres (4.1 quarts I think)

I drained the oil today, allowed for about 300ml that would would not drain and in oil filter, and refilled with 3.6 litres.

Sure enough I had overfilled by maybe 600 ml (around 1/2 quart).

But after the refill the level showing on dipstick is only just above low mark

Now I am not absolutely sure as to how much oil remains in engine after drain.
Can somone give me a measurement on their B7100 D dipstick from oil top level mark to lowest part of plastic stop/sealer so I can calibrate mine.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Sorry I can't do what you ask ---- I apologize for responding without answering your question.

I am, however, familiar with your problem. I've never been able to get the prescibed amount of oil into or out of my D950 engine.

You can buy a new dipstick for a paultry sum. I suggest you do so and then just use the "full" mark on the dipstick as your full point ---- That was my solution after fretting over the same issue years ago. Seems to have worked fine for several years now.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
The plastic stop/sealer on my dipstick has become loose and can slide on the metal diptick guage.
Now I did crudely fix the plastic seal on with a small clamp but was not sure of the original correct position on the dipstick.This, of course, is important in order to have the correct reading on the dipstick mark.

Yesterday I checked my oil, with the dipstick showing low so I topped up with oil to the full mark.

After ah hour's work, I discovered a lot of oil had blown out of the rocker cover breather tube.

The stated oil capacity is 3.9 ltres (4.1 quarts I think)

I drained the oil today, allowed for about 300ml that would would not drain and in oil filter, and refilled with 3.6 litres.

Sure enough I had overfilled by maybe 600 ml (around 1/2 quart).

But after the refill the level showing on dipstick is only just above low mark

Now I am not absolutely sure as to how much oil remains in engine after drain.
Can somone give me a measurement on their B7100 D dipstick from oil top level mark to lowest part of plastic stop/sealer so I can calibrate mine.
102.72mm from underside of rubber stop to full mark
dave

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Thanks Dave, Bruce and Vic.

Grateful for your help.
Just an update on this to confuse matters, the dipstick measurement I gave you had a part nunber of: 15371 36411 off 1978 tractor
I have just measured the stick on my other B7100 1985 tractor , the part number is:
15371 36412 and the full mark is 10mm lower.the low level marks are the same.
The question is,these engines are old so does each of the engnes have its original stick,does yours have the original fitted?
Some research is needed into the part numbers off the sticks to see what engines they should fit in.
dave

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sold ZD28F, Bought04 Grnd L4330 /frnt mnt snwblwer L2185, hted/AC cab, 2nd ZD28F
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
Just an update on this to confuse matters, the dipstick measurement I gave you had a part nunber of: 15371 36411 off 1978 tractor
I have just measured the stick on my other B7100 1985 tractor , the part number is:
The question is,these engines are old so does each of the engnes have its original stick,does yours have the original fitted?
Some research is needed into the part numbers off the sticks to see what engines they should fit in.
dave
Nice double check! Who would have thunk it? :eek:

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
dave
You are right on the mark Dave; my dipstick is part no. 15371 36411.

The moth eaten parts manual that I got with my gear tractor when I bought it 2nd hand also lists that part number so I would be confident it is the original.

I adjusted the stop and my oil level is reading a little below full so my estimate of oil remaining in engine after the drain was pretty close.

As an aside, I rang my dealer and quoted the part number on my dipstick and they could not identify it but eventually advised me that "oil guage" ( don't you love it) part no.1249836410 was the correct part.

I would now be a little skeptical about that.

Not much that is straightforward.

Thanks again for following that up for myself and other forum oil guagers.

Dipsticks aint dipsticks