B2400HSD clutch safety switch

Dunslandloy

Equipment
99 B2400HSD, 20 Kawasaki Teryx LE, Woods brush cutter, Befco tiller, Kodiak blad
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
Every 2-3 mowings or a long brush cutting session, my clutch safety switch falls out of it's bracket. It never fails happening when I've shut down to refuel or take a break, then I try to start and nothing. Really bad location and bracket design. Once the switch is back in, the bottom nut can't be tightened (bracket is in the way) and wrench doesn't have enough clearance on sides to tighten the top nut. I use a pair of narrow slip pliers to tighten as much as possible, which is never enough.
The only need for the clutch on my hydrostat is starting, speed range change, and pto engagement. Could I bypass this safety switch altogether?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Most hesitate advising you re bypassing safety switches. Too many sad stories.
Once you have it tightened switch with slip pliers why not try adding silicone caulk to try and keep parts secure.
Dave

Dunslandloy

Equipment
99 B2400HSD, 20 Kawasaki Teryx LE, Woods brush cutter, Befco tiller, Kodiak blad
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
Most hesitate advising you re bypassing safety switches. Too many sad stories.
Once you have it tightened switch with slip pliers why not try adding silicone caulk to try and keep parts secure.
Dave
Thanks for the reply. With it being in such close proximity to the engine/trans it gets quite hot during operation. I don't think silicone would hold up. I did use Loctite on the threads once... it didn't hold either. I did find a few videos on the procedure for bypassing the switch. Easy fix!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply. With it being in such close proximity to the engine/trans it gets quite hot during operation. I don't think silicone would hold up. I did use Loctite on the threads once... it didn't hold either. I did find a few videos on the procedure for bypassing the switch. Easy fix!
Silicone is used to seal the exhaust pipes on wood stoves.

Contains iron oxide. For use in stove pipes and wood, gas and pellet stoves. Can withstand temperatures of up to 450ºF.
  • Resists temperatures up to 232 degree C (450 degree F)
  • Fully cured, it can be used for extended periods at temperatures up to 24 degree C (40 degree F) and for shorter periods as high as 232 degree C (450 degree F)
  • Flexible waterproof silicone sealant
  • Use on metal, glass, wood and plastic
Dave

Dunslandloy

Equipment
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
Silicone is used to seal the exhaust pipes on wood stoves.

Contains iron oxide. For use in stove pipes and wood, gas and pellet stoves. Can withstand temperatures of up to 450ºF.
  • Resists temperatures up to 232 degree C (450 degree F)
  • Fully cured, it can be used for extended periods at temperatures up to 24 degree C (40 degree F) and for shorter periods as high as 232 degree C (450 degree F)
  • Flexible waterproof silicone sealant
  • Use on metal, glass, wood and plastic
Dave
Thanks again Dave. That just sounds like something too messy to put on an electrical switch. Stove pipe is one thing but a painted metal bracket and switch is totally different. I have it bypassed now. Simple one wire fix.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks again Dave. That just sounds like something too messy to put on an electrical switch. Stove pipe is one thing but a painted metal bracket and switch is totally different. I have it bypassed now. Simple one wire fix.
Are you the only one to use this equipment? No kids or relatives?
A next door neighbour, who races Formula Ford cars so mechanically knowledgeable, bypassed a safety switch and then cut the end of his prominent hand middle finger off in a moment of brain fade when he touched the edge of the mower deck.
Dave