B1700 Help

simpson1

Equipment
l4240 and b1700
Feb 7, 2017
Iowa
I just got done replacing the pivot seals and re-sealing the bi-speed box. I started it up today for the first time, put it in drive and I feel a bind coming from the front end. The front wheels would just lock up. Just to double check, I jacked the rear up and gave it throttle, rear wheels spun fine. I don't know whats wrong with it. I did all of my testing in 2WD. I don't dare want to try putting it in 4WD to see what happens. I don't know how this could be messed up because before I sealed everything up, I spun every thing by hand and it all turned freely. I had bi-speed turned off when I did this, well at least I think I did. How much of a range of movement should the linkage arm for bi-speed move? It doesn't appear to move a whole lot but it feels and looks normal. I feel somehow where the driveshaft connects to the axle is bound up. Also, I replaced the roller shaft assembly and the new part was smaller but my dealer told me thats how it should be since its and updated design. Any advice?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just got done replacing the pivot seals and re-sealing the bi-speed box. I started it up today for the first time, put it in drive and I feel a bind coming from the front end. The front wheels would just lock up. Just to double check, I jacked the rear up and gave it throttle, rear wheels spun fine. I don't know whats wrong with it. I did all of my testing in 2WD. I don't dare want to try putting it in 4WD to see what happens. I don't know how this could be messed up because before I sealed everything up, I spun every thing by hand and it all turned freely. I had bi-speed turned off when I did this, well at least I think I did. How much of a range of movement should the linkage arm for bi-speed move? It doesn't appear to move a whole lot but it feels and looks normal. I feel somehow where the driveshaft connects to the axle is bound up. Also, I replaced the roller shaft assembly and the new part was smaller but my dealer told me thats how it should be since its and updated design. Any advice?
The front axle should not bind regardless if it's BI speed is Engaged or not.

Jack up one front wheel at a time and see if it's both sides are binding or just one.

simpson1

Equipment
l4240 and b1700
Feb 7, 2017
Iowa
The front axle should not bind regardless if it's BI speed is Engaged or not.

Jack up one front wheel at a time and see if it's both sides are binding or just one.
They only lock up when you try and roll both wheels in the same direction at the same time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you hold one and turn the other does the drive shaft turn?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have something wrong in the front end, your going to need to reverse what you've done and find out what part is binding. ;)

simpson1

Equipment
l4240 and b1700
Feb 7, 2017
Iowa
You have something wrong in the front end, your going to need to reverse what you've done and find out what part is binding. ;)
Yea. Could it be in the shift fork? I can turn the axle but the other side turns the opposite way so I don’t think the pinion gear is seized.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea. Could it be in the shift fork? I can turn the axle but the other side turns the opposite way so I don’t think the pinion gear is seized.
That's only the differential spider gears spinning, not the ring and pinion.

If you only lift one wheel off the ground and can't get that wheel to spin the driveshaft, then the ring and pinion are not spinning. ;)

simpson1

Equipment
l4240 and b1700
Feb 7, 2017
Iowa
That's only the differential spider gears spinning, not the ring and pinion.

If you only lift one wheel off the ground and can't get that wheel to spin the driveshaft, then the ring and pinion are not spinning. ;)
I’m not the most knowledgeable with diff stuff but you guys get the point.