Anyone using Pallet Forks with a Man Cage?

flashhole

Equipment
2501, 525 bucket, GS1560
Jan 7, 2019
AZLE TX,
I bought my Kubota 2501 with a quick disconnect bucket. Pull the two levers up and unhook.

I need to cut back trees and wild grape vines that have overgrown my access road and I need to trim the trees in my Pecan orchard.

My thinking is to use Pallet Forks and a lift bucket to gain access to branches and such.

Anyone done this and can you tell me what equipment you used?

A scissor man lift is not in the picture. I have to properly outfit my tractor.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
For branches/vines under ten feet in the air, I started using a chain saw pole attachment on my string trimmer. Works great on limbs and grape vine, and your feet are on the ground.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've done that in the past (pallet on the forks) but certainly not a recommended thing to do. I'd get as pole trimmer (Harbor Freight) has an inexpensive one and be safe instead.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I know this is raining on your parade and I understand sometime the job needs to be done and this may seem like a viable option. I have never done as you suggest, I have use many man lifts. This just my two cents.

After spending over 40 years in industrial maintenance and using man cages attached to fork trucks that were far more stable than a Kubota tractor in an orchard and on a solid flat concrete surface they were still a bad idea, we outlawed and scraped them and moved to scissor, hydraulic lifting or boom man lifts which all have their issues.

I can think of a lot of reasons why this is a bad idea in the best of circumstances, and can see Murphy’s Law coming into play here.

Attached to pallet forks on a removable platform such as a SSQA, the tilt ability of a tractor hydraulic system, uneven ground, possible tip over while possibly moving with a raised load, an adequate solid attachment point for the man basket to the tractor bucket lift assembly so it will not slide off the forks, safety harness and adequate attachment point capable of safely restraining the occupant if he or she were to be ejected. The higher the load the more pronounced any movement felt at ground level will be, as I said possibly enough to eject the occupant. If you have never been in a man cage you will be surprised at how unstable they are and feel and how much they move compared to the ground movement, everyone I know that has used one hangs on tightly whenever they are moving in any direction.

If you are running a business and employees are operating this equipment and you come under OSHA, they may have an issue with your plan, since the man cage has to be approved for use with the individual vehicle you are using it with and labeled so by the vehicle manufacturer, along with many other rules.

In any event if you do, be safe, only move with the load at ground level, and use very slow calculated joy stick movements, etc. Everyone want to go home at the end of the day the way they came to work.

I would opt for the previously mentioned pole saw. Or hire an all-terrain qualified lift and operator.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’m with flip, I definitely don’t recommend it, but I am guilty too. I have a buddy that is an ex logger. Had him in just the loader bucket as high as it would go with an 11 ft pole saw trimming branches around my power lines to the house. A cage and forks sounds like a much better idea but if you can get by with a polesaw that would be the way to go. In my case the pole saw wasn’t enough reach alone. I also have a crazy friend that wasn’t afraid. I think I was more nervous running the tractor then he was hanging out of the bucket with the polesaw.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I'm looking at an IBC tote with the plastic tub removed. Ratchet strap it to the fork back and access with a ladder. I see lots of manufactured work platforms that are much heavier and more expensive but basically the same thing. Just make sure it's on a stable base and don't let those other posters see you.

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have seen a couple of work platforms that you can move with pallet forks that have adjustable legs. I would think that would be a lot safer than just relying on the hydraulics of the tractor to hold the platform up.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have seen a couple of work platforms that you can move with pallet forks that have adjustable legs. I would think that would be a lot safer than just relying on the hydraulics of the tractor to hold the platform up.
This sounds like a much better option to me.

Over the years I've seen way too many people seriously injured and even killed after falling from improvised scaffolding and improper use of ladders. Funny how often I hear the phrase "I never thought it would happen to me."

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I bought my Kubota 2501 with a quick disconnect bucket. Pull the two levers up and unhook.

I need to cut back trees and wild grape vines that have overgrown my access road and I need to trim the trees in my Pecan orchard.

My thinking is to use Pallet Forks and a lift bucket to gain access to branches and such.

I have done what you are looking at but will tell you that there are many safety features I implemented with it.

1. A lift platform with railings on 3 sides is chained to the forks and back plate to prevent platform movement.

2. The tractor is NEVER moved with platform in the air.

3. The person on the platform is tethered to prevent falling.

By using a battery operated pole saw we can reach about 25 feet in the air.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I made a man lift and use it as you desire. It has railing on all four sides, with one being hinged and pinned to allow easy access. Of course multiple straps/chains are used to hold it to the fork carrier.

It comes in real handy.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
The metal pallet/cage from chemical totes does a dandy job as a man cage.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I just stand in the bucket, or on the lip of the bucket if I need to get a little higher. I do turn off the engine, lock on the brakes, and use the outriggers on the backhoe so she doesn't wiggle on me. Not an OSHA approved method, but substantially safer than most of my hobbies.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Needless to say, I have a bias toward rental. I as well as most general rental stores rent towable and drivable man lifts. Done right, that and a good pole saw will get you past any OSHA concerns. I have a 51 ft drivable lift that will amaze you with how much you can get done in a day. It works in places a scissor lift never would. On the other hand, if I had a job that only involved me and I didn't have access to a lift, I would probably do what you are doing as long as I felt secure doing it.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States

A lot safer with a pole saw. My Sthil will go 16ft if I was man enough to hold up fully extended.

flashhole

Equipment
2501, 525 bucket, GS1560
Jan 7, 2019
AZLE TX,
Thanks for all the safety tips but at the age of 65 and having owned/used tractors for 40 years this is not my first rodeo. No use whatsoever for a pole saw.

Using a chemical tote pallet is thinking out of the box. I like that.

Was thinking of welding up my own design if I can find the time.

I like some of the ready made cages but they seem a bit pricey for what they are.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Yes Chemical tote - IBC tote from my post above. I got the idea from Mike Morgan of Outdoors with the Morgans Youtube tractor show, who uses them to store firewood. They are about $75 around here but I have seen them as cheap as $35 with contaminated tanks. Good only for septic draining or something. But since your throwing away the tank that's not a problem.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
$25 for totes here locally, been used for liquid fertilizer and cleaned. Here's my man cage.

Attachments