Advice on a tractor

FiremanDan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060 ROPS, Wicked grapple, LP RCF2772 cutter, LP BB3572 box blade
Dec 8, 2013
AR
If loader work is going to be important to you then I would look at the M series tractors. Even though the L5740 has more hp than the M5140 the M series has quite a bit bigger loader. Every way you look the M series will be a heavier built tractor.

The 0% sure makes a brand new tractor seem alittle easier to reach.
Thanks for the great info!

What about the MX series? From what info I can find, they are sized (physical) between the L series and the M series. Does that sound right? Its been a while since I have actually sat on one at the dealer, but are they a lower end tractor?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess the MX is concidered in between a M and a L series, or maybe a entry level M. You know your needs better than anyone else and the MX series may just fit the bill. :)
Myself I have never looked at one because they don't offer a cab model. My wife has already said the next tractor bought was going to have a cab or else. For some reason she doesn't think it's fair that my tractor has a cab and hers doesn't. :mad:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I guess the MX is concidered in between a M and a L series, or maybe a entry level M. You know your needs better than anyone else and the MX series may just fit the bill. :)
Myself I have never looked at one because they don't offer a cab model. My wife has already said the next tractor bought was going to have a cab or else. For some reason she doesn't think it's fair that my tractor has a cab and hers doesn't. :mad:
She said "next tractor", which is music to a guys ears.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hodge, when it comes to tools or equipment I'm the one that has to tell her no. If I let her buy everything she wanted I would need another farm just to park stuff.

FiremanDan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2013
AR
So I went to the dealer yesterday to look again. I test drove an M5140 open station and an M6060 cab. The 6060 is a larger tractor than I was wanting, size wise. I liked the 5140 a lot. That seems to be where I am leaning at the moment. It doesn't have that tier IV emissions crap on it either. I also liked where the foot throttle is on the 5140 compared to the 6060. The 6060 was actually uncomfortable to try to get my big foot around the FEL controls. The cab was nice. The loader was extremely heavy feeling and this tractor had the cast wheels. The front end bounced a crap load more than the 5140. The 5140 is over $10000 cheaper as well. Just letting y'all know where I am in my research. Thanks!!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Speaking from my own experience don't just settle on one model if you really want something else. You'll never really be happy with it and might even get to the point I did and trade in a 2 yr old tractor on another new one which was the model I wanted to start with. It's much cheaper to do it right the first time.

FiremanDan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2013
AR
Thanks Bulldog for the advice. Im still trying to wrap my head around the cost/need ratio. What I would really like is an L6060 cab. But dang, it is $45,500 as quoted, no extras. I am planning on doing some commercial bush hog/ driveway/ dirt work and just want to make sure it will hold up to all of that. I have heard that I should go with an M series for that kind of durability. It is quite a bit longer and heavier of a tractor than the L series. So maneuverability, transportability are also a factor. I currently have a 3/4 ton Excursion with the power stroke that should pull the L series fine, but the M series is heavier. Just all kinds of stuff bouncing around in my head at the moment. Just don't want to make the wrong decision with this kind of $$.

The M5140 is a nice tractor and seems to be a bit smaller than the M6060. One thing about the 5140 is that Kubota doesn't make an air ride seat for it, and that is a must for me. I posted in the fabrication thread about an air ride for it, but have not received any responses as of yet. I like the 5140 but no chance of a cab.

I still have a month or so before we will be ready to purchase, so plenty of more research to do! Thanks again for all the replies!

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Wildfire uses his L5740 commercially and a TBN member uses one on a working farm for haying and such in conjunction with his M135 and others, I don't view my GL as fragile and use it in pretty heavy stuff.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Wildfire uses his L5740 commercially and a TBN member uses one on a working farm for haying and such in conjunction with his M135 and others, I don't view my GL as fragile and use it in pretty heavy stuff.
Absolutely correct my friend. I really like the 5740.I could have sold it a few weeks ago. Wouldn't have lost a penny on it but when I looked at the alternative which would be a new 6060 I just couldn't do it. There were a few things I didn't like about the 6060 like the new emissions, I also don't know what Kubota had in mind putting all the FEL hoses outside the arms and although the cab is supposed to be more spacious it reminded me of the pope mobile.

With 150 hours on the 5740 I'll be keeping it for a long time unless I see something else that's noticeably better. That being said the 5740 is as good as it gets. Is it big enough? Well I use to operate some pretty big Cat equipment and there were times a Cat 992 loader wasn't big enough but our 5740 is a great machine. I'll be doing a video in a few days of it blowing snow. We got two big storms on the way.

FiremanDan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2013
AR
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. Merry Christmas!!