A Need to buy different flavor engine oil

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380FEL, Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Hi, maybe I didn't get this but in Bx manual it says CJ-4 oil is meant for engines with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and not to use on this tractor. I'm assuming my BX2380. On my Dodge truck I use Delo 400 LE 15w-40 and have a good supply of and was hoping to share. Knowing I don't have an DPF, why do they make the statement. I understand I could just buy Kubota's, like I do for their oem filters and hyd. oil. The post I read by a BX owner called his service manager and, you guested it went with Kubota oil. A lot of the diesel oils today read meets CF, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 or CJ-4 requirements just to name a few classifications, Shell Rotella T4 which I used in my 5100 am looking at again and well probably go with.
Oil and filter replacement are too cheap for good engine maintenance, and with that statement Shell T4 on its way. It's just that line Kubota draws in the sand.

Just came across this,
Kubota | Lubricant & Grease Maintenance Schedule (kubotausa.com)

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Based on what Shell says, nonDPF engines have more deposits, so I guess I'll stay with Kubota oil although I was thinking to switch to Rotella. Well, I should at least use the Shell selector before I decide. I looked, but I don't understand why the recommendation is so different for the L2501. It says T6, T5, and T4 are all good to go with the L2501.

Fwiw, Chevron has a product selector which even includes BX2380. It doesn't say why these two are the recommended ones.

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.05.17 PM.png

Shell has a recommendation as well but includes text that suggests non DPF has more deposits. https://www.shell.us/business-custo...-services-for-your-industry/oil-selector.html

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.09.09 PM.png

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Based on what Shell says, nonDPF engines have more deposits, so I guess I'll stay with Kubota oil although I was thinking to switch to Rotella. Well, I should at least use the Shell selector before I decide. I looked, but I don't understand why the recommendation is so different for the L2501. It says T6, T5, and T4 are all good to go with the L2501.

Fwiw, Chevron has a product selector which even includes BX2380. It doesn't say why these two are the recommended ones.

View attachment 109162

Shell has a recommendation as well but includes text that suggests non DPF has more deposits. https://www.shell.us/business-custo...-services-for-your-industry/oil-selector.html

View attachment 109163
Service category CJ-4 is history. Those issues were resolved with the introduction of CK-4. It is suitable for use in all of the engines.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
from what I've read a 'higher' letter oil will be fine in a 'lower' letter application
'K' is fine for where "A,"B",...'J' were listed.
I run T4 15W40 in my BX23S since day one. The BudaBS163 powered forklift(mid 70s)get 1978 quart cans of 10w40 and is 'happy'. yup 'car gas' oil .5 years+ no problems.

CaptPat

Equipment
B7800, Grasshopper 930D
Jul 30, 2023
NC
I don't have a lot of brand loyalty when it comes to oils, as long as it meets or exceeds the specified service category. I also don't push oil to the extreme limits of the change interval.

Trash Panda

Equipment
L2501
Feb 18, 2022
Wyoming
For the ~50 hours a year my oil sees, I run whatever is on sale at Sam’s club (usually rotella T4), and change it annually.

CK-4 is fine for all previous standards.

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380FEL, Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Thanks everyone for chiming in, new to me past Nov. at 50 hrs. BX a lot of choices to wean off of first fluid change. More time than need but I made choice. As I mentioned earlier but ended up with blend T5.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
IDK, the difference in price between the absolute best and good enough is just too small to "cheap out" Engines are just too darn much $$$$ to bother going "good enough"

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
IDK, the difference in price between the absolute best and good enough is just too small to "cheap out" Engines are just too darn much $$$$ to bother going "good enough"
yeah…why settle for “table salt” when “sea salt” costs just a bit more. …:rolleyes:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well I don't use common table salt because I don't like the taste the iodine leaves. And if you appreciate things as I do there is a reason to use it
One of the supposed reasons sea salt is popular is because it already contains iodine. :cool:
(it also contains all kinds of other trace contaminants, some radioactive.)

Non-iodized table salt is readily available at no extra cost.

But my point was that there is actually little difference in major brand motor oils made to the same specifications except price….and in the mind of the buyer.

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
But my point was that there is actually little difference in major brand motor oils made to the same specifications except price….and in the mind of the buyer.
SOAP says otherwise.

Not that I'm going to say it will matter, but depending on your usage (or lack thereof) spending a bit more on oil may be well worth it in the long run.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
SOAP says otherwise.

Not that I'm going to say it will matter, but depending on your usage (or lack thereof) spending a bit more on oil may be well worth it in the long run.
or ..may not. (If oil and filters are changed regularly these things will outlive their owners… despite the extra money spent on “super-duper” oils). IMO

But if it gives you peace-of-mind… it’s your tractor…your money ….and your peace….(and in your mind.)

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
or ..may not. (If oil and filters are changed regularly these things will outlive their owners… despite the extra money spent on “super-duper” oils). IMO

But if it gives you peace-of-mind… it’s your tractor…your money ….and your peace….(and in your mind.)
No doubt you are correct, but I love synthetic oil in diesels during cold weather. They just start easier and sound better.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
We run a wide variety of diesel engines at work. Everything from VW, cummins, deutz, kubota, JD, old cats and detroits. When I say these engines are experiencing severe duty conditions I mean it. Hot temps, continuous run times, contaminated air, plugged radiators, the works. Its a metal plant. Hours and run time do not get considered in service. Just overall time, every 60-90 days. Most don't get a proper break in. Over 100 diesel machines in all, ranging from buggies, loaders, fork trucks, pickup trucks, man lifts, ect. This is standard practice for fleet operation.

They all get the same oil, and no its not the OE for any of them. Bulk 15w-40 from shell, with the exception of the VWs which call for 5w-40. Engine failure is not that common, usually resulting from workers failing to check fluids before operation and running them dry.

My point is, oil brand doesn't matter. Good quality oil of the correct viscosity, serviced regularly, and kept at proper level is what matters. Of course with a good quality filter, (friends don't let friends use fram). All my personal machines at home get serviced atleast annually if they don't get much run time, or at designated service intervals. Synthetic for the ones that get abused. My kubota will get synthetic just because its my baby. I have never lost an engine, and thats not due to lack of effort.🤣