A job for the plasma cutter

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
803
1,501
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
My wife has just started to get back into lead lighting after a 35 year break. We teamed up to make a piece for our garden.

PXL_20261005_031101667~2.jpg

We'll mount it in some heavy timber and allow the steel plate to rust.

I cut the shape in the 12 mm mild steel plate and the 1 mm stainless edge trim with the plasma cutter. Definitely not something I would have tried with a grinder.

PXL_20261005_013110558.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20261005_012729165.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20261005_012804799.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20261005_012757227.MP~2.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3 users

PHPaul

Well-known member

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
1,309
1,655
113
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Nice! Down here in da Knew-Knighted Estates, we call that "stained glass". Very precise plasma work. Did you have to clean up the edges with a flap wheel or anything?

mailbox3.jpg

Many years ago, I had a custom piece done and the original plan for it never went anywhere. When I changed from a PO Box to rural delivery, I found a use for it. My last name is Fox, BTW... :ROFLMAO:
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,119
5,571
113
Michigan
Looks great!

Plasma cutters are awesome.

Just as a FYI for the "general public" one of the more accepted methods for getting the slag/dross off is to use a "cupped wire wheel"

It does a pretty good job, but has the added bonus of not leaving deep grinding marks.

HOWEVER....If/When that cup catch's an edge, you best watch out and have gloves/glasses on cause it will "whip" that part across the shop..........(Ask me how I know....;):unsure:🤫:cautious:)

1791194839947.png

Grinding wheels and flap disc's do have thier place, but I TRY to limit thier use to the really tough slag/dross.

Just my .02.......... for the world to ponder...... (y) ;) :cool:
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
803
1,501
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
Nice! Down here in da Knew-Knighted Estates, we call that "stained glass". Very precise plasma work. Did you have to clean up the edges with a flap wheel or anything?

View attachment 180132

Many years ago, I had a custom piece done and the original plan for it never went anywhere. When I changed from a PO Box to rural delivery, I found a use for it. My last name is Fox, BTW... :ROFLMAO:
It's called both lead lighting and stained glass here....depends who you're talking to or what you think of first.

The stainless did need a little clean up. I cut the strips using a plywood template.

The first cut was done using a spacer.

PXL_20261004_040329119~2.jpg

The second cut was done without the spacer without moving the plywood template to give me a strip of the width I wanted.

PXL_20261004_044916954.MP~2.jpg

The edges were a little rough but they cleaned up ok.
 

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
803
1,501
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
Looks great!

Plasma cutters are awesome.

Just as a FYI for the "general public" one of the more accepted methods for getting the slag/dross off is to use a "cupped wire wheel"

It does a pretty good job, but has the added bonus of not leaving deep grinding marks.

HOWEVER....If/When that cup catch's an edge, you best watch out and have gloves/glasses on cause it will "whip" that part across the shop..........(Ask me how I know....;):unsure:🤫:cautious:)

View attachment 180133

Grinding wheels and flap disc's do have thier place, but I TRY to limit thier use to the really tough slag/dross.

Just my .02.......... for the world to ponder...... (y) ;) :cool:
Haven't tried that. Next time, thanks.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user