A green tractor question...well, sort of.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Mine came from an EBay seller Hamiltonbobs Tractor Parts, in Hamilton, Ohio.
Mine came from a dealer in Lansing. Michigan. How well was your packed?

I also just looked at your dealer on eBay. He only has a fiberglass tank for my tractor. The metal ones for my tractor seem to be hard to find. Being that you recently installed yours, and I think they would be very similar, would you have been comfortable with a plastic tank?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Mine was packaged very well and there was no way for the tank to be damaged during shipping.

The poly tank was $200 less and the fiberglas tank was $50 less. I guess that all new tractors come with poly tanks so there should not be a problem. I just could not warm up to the idea of a fiberglas tank. I really don't know why, my age I guess.

If you opted for either poly or fiber, you would need to run a ground wire to the fuel sending unit to complete that circuit.

You could (air) pressurize your tank and use soapy water to look for a leak in that corner but I suspect that it is OK becaue the actual weld is right at the tank. If it did leak, it should be easily brazed.

My thought is that they should offer you 50% which should take them to their actual cost and still be a good deal for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: 1 user

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Out of curiosity, have you tried yesterdays tractors? Thats where I've been buying parts and sometimes ebays a few bucks cheaper but everything has always shown up well packaged.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Mine was packaged very well and there was no way for the tank to be damaged during shipping.

The poly tank was $200 less and the fiberglas tank was $50 less. I guess that all new tractors come with poly tanks so there should not be a problem. I just could not warm up to the idea of a fiberglas tank. I really don't know why, my age I guess.

If you opted for either poly or fiber, you would need to run a ground wire to the fuel sending unit to complete that circuit.

You could (air) pressurize your tank and use soapy water to look for a leak in that corner but I suspect that it is OK becaue the actual weld is right at the tank. If it did leak, it should be easily brazed.

My thought is that they should offer you 50% which should take them to their actual cost and still be a good deal for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Well shoot. I wished they they had taken a bit more care when they packaged mine. It is almost like they went out of their way to make sure it would be damaged. I agree, I would be surprised if it leaked. I initiated a return with description and photos and I will see what they say. I'd take the 50% and take my chances. I'll be surprised if they offer anything, and I'll just send it back. My tractor, it has been rode hard and put up wet. All the original wiring is gone or rat nested under the dash. The fuel gauge does not work, and I simply fill it up before use and never have to use it long enough to run out of fuel anyway. The starter key is gone and I installed a simple push button starter. That's the only electrics it has on it.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Out of curiosity, have you tried yesterdays tractors? Thats where I've been buying parts and sometimes ebays a few bucks cheaper but everything has always shown up well packaged.
Yesterdays tractors does not show it "available online" and says to call them. Whatever that means. I actually ordered one from All States Ag Parts last year...along with a fuel cap as I did not know it came with one. Well, they did not have the tank, cancelled my order except the fuel cap and kept the $50 shipping fee for the $5.00 fuel cap. I called and cancelled the order and the lady said it was cancelled and it was all handled. I then get a shipping notice. Call back as nothing had shipped yet, and second lady said it was cancelled. I then get a shipping notice with tracking number days later. Call and talk to a guy and he berates me for waiting to call and says they cannot just cancel an order at the last minute like that after it "ships". I then let him have it and he's all apologetic when I give him the names and times I talked to the other reps. He said he'd fix it and I told him bullxxx he will. My prediction was right. They ended up not doing anything and I finally had to dispute the charge with my credit card. On top of that, the fuel cap had still not shipped and the last fellow still had the chance to cancel and refund me. I won the dispute and they sent the cap after the dispute was won weeks later...and i think I got an email at some point to just keep it. Probably the most inept company I've ever dealt with. I'll never use them again. That was a little side story for y'all.:ROFLMAO:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thankfully I have never had an issue with Ebay that they have not immediately fixed which is why I was comfortable using them for the tank. I think that the vendors are afraid of loosing their ability to sell there is why they have always made things right with me.

You will be OK.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Thankfully I have never had an issue with Ebay that they have not immediately fixed which is why I was comfortable using them for the tank. I think that the vendors are afraid of loosing their ability to sell there is why they have always made things right with me.

You will be OK.

Same experience here, which is why I prefer using them. I have had some sellers try to pull some funny business, but they aren't allowed to get away with it on eBay.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
'return to sender'......
damaged goods, they need to replace or refund, bonus if they say keep it.
Even IF the seem doesn't leak now, it probably will after a few long hours in the field.
If you do get it for free, take to a 'rad shop' have them inspect and repair.
"take it to a rad shop" ????
That is how it works in Cuba and many others!
Rad shops no longer exist in many areas of the USA.
We live in a throw away society!

Last edited:

will721

Equipment
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I switched to ebay for the odds and ends from amazon. During covid they stopped the 2 day shipping for us and never gave it back. So far I'm much happier with ebay anyway because they are cheaper, show up at the same time amazon does post covid, and so far customer service has been easier to deal with.

will721

Equipment
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
"take it to a rad shop" ????
Rad shops no longer exist in many areas of the USA.
We live in a throw away society!
We still have one. But everyone that works there is a lazy pos. For whatever reason they want to focus on the standard automotive repair stuff and will only do rad work if you pay their "go away" price. As in they quoted me like $600 to pressure and test the last rad I wanted to take there. That was 10 years ago. A new custom made radiator for that car shipped to my door at the time was $800 out of California.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
@Nicfin36, Any update??

Yes. What has happened so far is I was given a refund. The lady of the merchant that contacted me via eBay instructed me to leave the tank in the box outside so the carrier, which was UPS, could inspect it.

This is the message:

"Thank you. We will contact the carrier to process your claim. Please place the item outside in that package, accessible to the carrier/where your deliveries are left, and write damaged on the package. Make sure to hang onto the item and package for 30 days, or until the carrier has come out to inspect /collect for processing or contacted you with further instructions. PLEASE NOTE - if the item and package is not available to the carrier when they arrive for processing, the claim will be denied Thank you, and I apologize for any inconvenience Jen"

So, as of now, I have my money back and the package is sitting on the patio. No one has been by to collect it, although UPS has left me other packages since.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thank you. This will be a nice learning session for all of us.

Please keep us updated.