5 Acres: LX2620 vs LX3520

DriveATractor

Equipment
LX
Mar 12, 2024
Northern IL
Hello all. Looking for some suggestions on which model to get. Moved into a 5 acre property last fall. Property consists for 3 (horse) pastures totaling approx 2.5 acres and the house/lawn/drive totaling the other 2.5 acres. We don't have horses, but may entertain it in the future (2-3 max). The lawn is too tough to mow with a SC tractor, so it's being done with a rider.

I've narrowed it down to these 2 LX models (with a cab, northern IL). Main implements would be brush cutter for the pastures (slightly hilly 10-15%), FEL for any work around the property. Not sure what else since we are new the property. The property is not super woodsy, so not much logging. I don't plan on using a snowblower, but may entertain one in the future. We don't get a lot of snow here. I was able to take care of the property with the Ego 2 stage and 4wheeler with plow blade this winter. We do live on a private road that residents are expected to maintain. The EGO was able to handle the 10' wide road in front of my house.

Future plans include some site work- green houses, garage/barn, general maintenance, grading for stone drive to the new barn, etc. It seems like the 2620 will be more than adequate for my needs. I like that it's emission simple as well. I've also heard of the 60" brush hog struggling a little with the lower PTO on inclines which has me looking at the 3520. If I do decide to get a front blower in the future, will the 2620 be able to handle that? Is the 3520 overkill for my uses?

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
The LX2610 should be adequate for your needs. The LX3520 will simply get certain tasks done quicker.
What elevation is the property?

Mike

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hello all. Looking for some suggestions on which model to get. Moved into a 5 acre property last fall. Property consists for 3 (horse) pastures totaling approx 2.5 acres and the house/lawn/drive totaling the other 2.5 acres. We don't have horses, but may entertain it in the future (2-3 max). The lawn is too tough to mow with a SC tractor, so it's being done with a rider.

I've narrowed it down to these 2 LX models (with a cab, northern IL). Main implements would be brush cutter for the pastures (slightly hilly 10-15%), FEL for any work around the property. Not sure what else since we are new the property. The property is not super woodsy, so not much logging. I don't plan on using a snowblower, but may entertain one in the future. We don't get a lot of snow here. I was able to take care of the property with the Ego 2 stage and 4wheeler with plow blade this winter. We do live on a private road that residents are expected to maintain. The EGO was able to handle the 10' wide road in front of my house.

Future plans include some site work- green houses, garage/barn, general maintenance, grading for stone drive to the new barn, etc. It seems like the 2620 will be more than adequate for my needs. I like that it's emission simple as well. I've also heard of the 60" brush hog struggling a little with the lower PTO on inclines which has me looking at the 3520. If I do decide to get a front blower in the future, will the 2620 be able to handle that? Is the 3520 overkill for my uses?
I will always suggest more power than less because a bigger hammer gives you more options than a smaller one. The most efficient and cost effective approach is to buy once and not outgrow what you buy. I just used this philosophy when ordering a folding cutter. For the "marginal" increase in cost, I chose a cutter that I won't ever outgrow. Do I need all of it's performance now, not really, but I know that I won't be in a situation where I wish I'd bought a bigger hammer.

If you do go with the LX2620 you might want to consider a flail rather than a rotary cutter if you're concerned about the power climbing hills and cutting grass. They tend to require less hp to run for the equivalent cutting width and they do a great job of mulching. Also, the offset models give you even more options that you don't get with a rotary cutter.

I blew snow for five years with a BX25D and front mount BX5450 running off the mid PTO. That thing never had a problem blowing snow, even when it was 2ft or 3ft deep, and it would fling it 50 ft or more.

I highly recommend a cabbed tractor with heat and A/C. Having owned two open station models and now two cabbed models, I'd never go back to an open station.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Assuming factory can with A/C you have 5 or 6 HP less to work with. The L3200 I had could handle a 6' rear mower pretty well. My last upgrade was an added 10 HP - 5 more for A/C and another 5 to handle a 7-1/2' rear mower.

DriveATractor

Equipment
LX
Mar 12, 2024
Northern IL
I will be ordering with a Cab. It can get pretty humid and hot here at times so AC would be used if needed. Looks like the 2620 doesn't have the auto throttle the 3520 comes with. Not sure if that is a deal breaker or not because I never used one or the other.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
When we bought our property, my BIL came over with his JD 770 and 48” brush cutter.
with 23HP it struggled on the thick stuff. I ended up buying a B3200 and a 5’ brush cutter. No issues doing heavy overgrown fields full of autumn olives. The only issue is snapping the shear bolt on the cutter when I get too full of myself. My only wish for this tractor is a cab and a SSQA on the loader. That being said she hasn’t been used more than a few minutes at a time the last couple winters to bring up fire wood.
If I do replace it, I would go up to at least 40HP and a cab. Got to hit that power ball first which means I would have to buy a ticket.

• Haha

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Difference between the two is HP, and for a tractor of this size, the increase is enormous.

HP increase will be most noticeable when mowing tough cover and snowblowing should you decide to do so.

FWIW/ the most common complaint regarding the B2650/LX2610 is insufficient power. Would expect nothing different regarding 2620.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day…i am not entirely familiar with all the new model names and specs (especially machine weight and lift capacity of each). I do have a B and I am very happy with it. IMO it runs out of weight before it does HP. That being said 5-10 or more HP would be nice. IMO an HST loses a little power going up a grade or under load…if mowing heavy grass going up a hill it will bog down. I would not turn down more HP, but if a price increase for the extra HP, then I would also be considering a standard L as well. if mid PTO is not a feature you are looking for, I’d recommend to determine priority of specs and compare between the machine weight, footprint (especially machine width), lift capability, PTO HP that you are looking for, and see what models that fit the bill. (I’d look compare the Bs/LX/standard Ls of comparable weight and HP and then look to see the price of all that fits your criteria).

If considering livestock in a few years, I'd think about how you might handle hay water and feed. That would nudge me one way for sure 😉. Happy shopping. 🥃

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
We are approx 600' above sea level.
I was concerned that you might be operating in high elevations which could contribute to a loss of power should you decide to purchase the LX2610. You’re good.

Mike

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I would go with the LX2620 because it doesn't have a DPF and has "enough" HP.

If you decide to go DPF because you want more HP, I'd go with something larger than the LX. The LX is a light tractor. I can't imagine that many implements that need more HP that wouldn't overpower the LX. The Grand L and MX are lot heavier tractors with a lot more power and can be had with much stronger loaders.

Sure, more HP doesn't usually hurt, but I'd take the price difference and buy implements/attachments.

Also, checkout GP Outdoors to see a lot of content from a YouTuber using an LX2610. I think it will show that the LX2620 is probably plenty sufficient.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You don't need more than the LX26. But 35hp would be nice. Not sure what the price is of a Grand-L v's the 35hp LX, I think I recall it's pretty close. The Grand-L has a nice cab, and an excellent transmission. Worth a look while you're at it.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
When I bought my tractor, the dealer steered me away from the LX3310 and towards the LX2610 due to the DPF stuff. I have not had any trouble with the available hp to get things done. My driveway is over 750' long and the snow blower handles it well in addition to keeping a path open to a cabin out behind the top 8 acres of land. I use a brush hog, a flail mower and a chipper with no problems.
The only thing I would have done differently is gotten rear hydraulics (which I did later) and if you get a radio make sure it is bluetooth compatable so you can hear it through ear buds or a head phones of some sort.

DriveATractor

Equipment
LX
Mar 12, 2024
Northern IL
Can anyone comment on the Auto-throttle or the 2 speed PTO? Those are 2 options on the 35 that aren't on the 25. The DPF looks like it regens every 15-30 hrs depending on use, for 15 minutes. If I use it for an hour a week, that's 2-3 regens a year (if I use in winter). Not exactly that big a deal imo.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Honestly I'm not sure you'll need the hp. I don't running my tiller and doing dirt work. You can always slightly reduce speeds on steep hills but it has never been an issue. There's also several members on here that use a lx2610 with a blower.

I would consider lift capacity though. I did as much quick google searching as I could be bothered to do and the 3520 does have a higher 3pt lift capacity which I assume also means greater loader capacity. I have maxed out my loader quite often and really only wish it had more capacity. Then again I use it for some rather unorthodox purposes too.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Can anyone comment on the Auto-throttle or the 2 speed PTO? Those are 2 options on the 35 that aren't on the 25. The DPF looks like it regens every 15-30 hrs depending on use, for 15 minutes. If I use it for an hour a week, that's 2-3 regens a year (if I use in winter). Not exactly that big a deal imo.
I don't think the DPF and regens are a big deal if you run the tractor hard enough to keep from depositing ash in the DPF system. That's the real concern with DPF. The soot (carbon) can be burned off with a regen but the ash won't go anywhere. A good engine oil can help in this regard too. I don't know how long a DPF system will last on a tractor before it needs to be replaced or repaired, but how you use it can make a big difference.

My MX6000 hasn't done a regen once this winter and I put a lot of hours on it moving snow. When I first got it, it seemed to do a regen every 20 hours or so, but now they seem to be infrequent.

Would I prefer it if neither tractor had DPF and regen, absolutely! But that's not the world we live in, and 25hp tractors simply don't do it for me, so that's the price of admission.

Reactions: 1 users

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
An older post that asked a similar question may help with O.P.s buying decision.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I will always suggest more power than less because a bigger hammer gives you more options than a smaller one.

BUT you'll hurt your fingers really,really bad trying to drive in tacks with a bigger hammer !!!

sometimes you CAN have too much !!
I know a guy who rolled his drag car 6-8 times, too much power....also pin wasn't pulled on chute ( not needed due to 'low speed' )

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
I run a LX2610 cab on ten acres that is located in SW Michigan. I use the 1260 rotary cutter and when necessary I’ll use the 60” belly mower near the house, horseshoe pits, etc. My other items are a 60” bucket, 48” pallet forks and a 60” front blade with a poly blade for snow removal. I use the forks when I use the rotary cutter since they’re heavier than the bucket and for better visibility. I use low gear so I get a nice clean cut while the cruise control is set on 8. If I had more land or tougher terrain I’d go for the L4060LE or L6060 with a cab.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I like the Auto Throttle. One position links the throttle and trans to make it drive like a car with an automatic transmission. I don't know if using Auto Throttle for driving around would be a concern with a DPF tractor in that the engine doesn't run balls to the wall all the time. My tractor has no DPF filter. I recall reading that running a DPF engine at lower RPMs can be problematic.

The other position allows you to set the engine speed and use the hydro pedal to control the tractor's speed. Using this setting may be of less concern with a DPF tractor because the RPMs can be set to suit. As with my previous tractors you can still use the throttle lever to set the engine speed and use the hyrdo pedal for froward speed without using Auto Throttle, but I did notice that in a given gear and RPM, the forward speed is different from what it is without using Auto Throttle. I use this when mowing - generally mid range "Rabbit".

I don't have a 2 speed PTO and assume you mean the HST Dual Speed. That allows a HI/LO range in any of the 3 ranges and is quite handy at times. There's a lever on the steering column that can be flipped on the fly. It's like having six speeds in lieu of three.

There are other features I don't use. The response control is set to mid-dial because my previous three hydro tractors had a feel (or perhaps more accurately the amount of coasting after getting off the GO pedal) that I'm accustomed to. I don't use Stall Guard or Dual Speed Auto Shift. Also I rarely use Cruise Control.