3pt Sprayer Recommendations (B2650, 5 acres)

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Tractor: B2650 ROPS

Property:
- 5 acres, flat terrain
- 3/4 acre of managed/irrigated lawn entirely bordered by either woods or gravel.
- Approx 600ft+ of gravel driveway

Purposes:
- Weed/brush control on edges of lawn and woods/brush around lawn
- Weed/brush control in and along gravel driveway
- Pest/Tick/Chigger/Flea control on lawn and in woods/brush around lawn.

Challenges:
- Can't drive through woods with any kind of accuracy or controlled coverage due to tree obstacles. So it's either run the edge of the lawn (and figure out how not get any weed control material on the lawn AT ALL...I'd imagine drips or leaks could be a concern) or use a handheld and walk/drive the edge and spray.
- Gravel drive follows the edge of the lawn as well, so want to spray gravel but not the lawn.

Now you might say just grade the driveway, which I do, but weeds re-emerge within days. I also have a 4 gallon backpack sprayer, but it takes a lot of refills to treat the lawn edges and woods, nevermind the full extent of the gravel drive.

I would imagine to cover all the tasks in a single fill, a 40+ gallon tank should fit the bill. The B2650 is speced up to 65 gallons I believe.

Thoughts:
- Boomless will be too errant and risk damaging the lawn for weed control but might be good for pest control and getting a lot of area treated.
- Boom will be more accurate for weed control especially towards edges of lawn. Can always use backpack sprayer on 2-3 ft perimeter edge of lawn areas to minimize risk of damage from tractor sprayer

I have zero experience with 3pt mounted sprayers, only backpack sprayers, so not sure what makes the most sense here. I could go on the cheaper end of grabbing a Fimco battery powered one or invest in something PTO drive with boom and boomless sprayers? Or just grind through A LOT of fills with the backpack sprayer :D

Anyone have any experiences with similar tasks on similar sized property?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fimco-40-gal-4-nozzle-3-point-hitch-sprayer-5302941

This is what I use, mainly for pest/fire ant control in the yard. Have use it to spray the driveway and just leave the booms folded in. When spraying fence lines I use the hand sprayer and spray from the seat while Im driving. Lots of bad reviews on it but I haven’t had any issues with it in 3 years. For my uses I didnt see spending a lot more on a pto powered one.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have a 25 gallon Fimco sprayer now mounted on a 3 pt. hitch carrier behind my B2650. It came with the hose/wand setup and I made a boom sprayer to mount to the rig so I can switch between the boom/wand. It sprays anything and everything here....fertilizer, herbicides, round up, pesticides, etc. on my acreage. If I'm spraying more than an acre or so, I'll calculate the application rate and use more than one tankful. If used when the wind is calm I haven't really had a problem with overspray. I also have a boom with drop nozzles on it so it can apply the spray down low or underneath (such as in our 3 acre sweet corn patch). The 12vdc pump gets flushed out after every application and its lasted for years. I think I've replaced it once in 30 years....or not....as I just happened to see a spare pump in a box here recently.

I think 40 gallons hanging on the back for spraying would make for a bouncy ride versus just having to refill once with a 25 gallon tank. Plus, you have a little more leeway in getting the application rate and total coverage to come out closer without ending up with extra product in your tank.

My boom is set up to cover 11 feet with 5 or 6 nozzles and the pump is maxed out with that setup.

The boom does work nice for the larger areas and the wand for the narrow or hard to reach areas. Even though the backpack sprayers are nice, it beats the backpack hands down. :D

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have the 25gallon Fimco with the booms and it has served me well.

I mounted it to a piece of plywood, drilled 4 holes in plywood and I mount it on the rack of my 4-wheeler. The booms mount to my back rack and work just fine, about 2 feet off the ground. I generally use just the middle section and on larger areas the left boom and middle works great.

Had setup for 10 plus years, replaced one pump my fault left water in it during winter, cost me bout $50.00 for new pump.

Last year I did buy new rubber hoses and replaced the old ones, some had started to dry rot.

The only thing I don't like about it is the hose connection assembly is not robust while reconnecting hoses I sheared off one of the male fittings, it is plastic and not very rigid.

But I have sprayed hundreds of gallons of chemicals with it over the years so I cannot complain much.

I like it on my 4-wheeler vs. the tractor simply easy to maneuver around.

Mine burned in the barn fire I had so yesterday was looking at the cost to repair vs. buying new one jury still out. The connection valves I speak of above is busted up, gages black, few more fitting broke etc. We will see.

Jay

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Tractor: B2650 ROPS

Property:
- 5 acres, flat terrain
- 3/4 acre of managed/irrigated lawn entirely bordered by either woods or gravel.
- Approx 600ft+ of gravel driveway

Purposes:
- Weed/brush control on edges of lawn and woods/brush around lawn
- Weed/brush control in and along gravel driveway
- Pest/Tick/Chigger/Flea control on lawn and in woods/brush around lawn.

Challenges:
- Can't drive through woods with any kind of accuracy or controlled coverage due to tree obstacles. So it's either run the edge of the lawn (and figure out how not get any weed control material on the lawn AT ALL...I'd imagine drips or leaks could be a concern) or use a handheld and walk/drive the edge and spray.
- Gravel drive follows the edge of the lawn as well, so want to spray gravel but not the lawn.

Now you might say just grade the driveway, which I do, but weeds re-emerge within days. I also have a 4 gallon backpack sprayer, but it takes a lot of refills to treat the lawn edges and woods, nevermind the full extent of the gravel drive.

I would imagine to cover all the tasks in a single fill, a 40+ gallon tank should fit the bill. The B2650 is speced up to 65 gallons I believe.

Thoughts:
- Boomless will be too errant and risk damaging the lawn for weed control but might be good for pest control and getting a lot of area treated.
- Boom will be more accurate for weed control especially towards edges of lawn. Can always use backpack sprayer on 2-3 ft perimeter edge of lawn areas to minimize risk of damage from tractor sprayer

I have zero experience with 3pt mounted sprayers, only backpack sprayers, so not sure what makes the most sense here. I could go on the cheaper end of grabbing a Fimco battery powered one or invest in something PTO drive with boom and boomless sprayers? Or just grind through A LOT of fills with the backpack sprayer :D

Anyone have any experiences with similar tasks on similar sized property?
I bought an Agro-Chem 55 gallon 3 point mounted sprayer with folding 12' boom and PTO driven pump for my B3350 about one year ago. This is an AG quality unit rather than a big box store unit and is priced accordingly.

My plan is to use it both in my lawn and for spot spraying in my 20 acre hay field but have not yet done so due to a severe drought last fall leaving little to spray.

SDT

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
I have 7 acres and have a 55 gallon sprayer. It came with a boomless nozzle setup, but I also built a boom for it. I can easily switch between them. For liquid fertilizer I typically use the boomless. When spraying for weeds, I typically use the boom (6' wide) You can make your own boom from parts obtained at tractor supply. My sprayer also has a hand sprayer with about 25' of hose, it comes in handy for the areas you can't get the tractor into.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I have the same sprayer that fordtech has and it works really well. Very happy with it.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
john deere has some pretty good options for 3pt sprayers too. I have one of their 60 gallon ones on the list for the next implement to buy. I am looking at one with a boom and a foamer for my pasture and yard. It has like a 20-40' hose with a spray gun as well to reach areas either too steep or tree covered to fit in with the boom. And is run on a PTO pump, which I think will be more robust than the electric diaphragm pumps that are available on other sprayers.

A thing to note is you might want to look into your 3pt lift capacity because even though it is just water and chemicals, water gets heavy quick. I wanted to look at a 110 gallon sprayer but that exceeded the lift rating on the 3 pt and didn't want to pay for space I couldn't use. Also remember to rinse whichever pump/nozzle you get after each use and remove, rinse and dry whichever pump you get before winter each year or you will be replacing pumps and nozzles all the time.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
While way to large for your tractor, I have a 250 gallon Fimco Ag sprayer with a 7 roller pump and it also has the 'boomless' nozzles and a spray wand.

I prefer the boomless nozzle setup, less nozzzles to maintain (has only 3, a center one, and 2 outboard ones) but still covers a 30 foot swath and there are no booms to fiddle with at all, just a Tee bar setup behind the tank. Very simple setup and easy to maintain.

You need to take into account what you plan on spraying when getting the pump. A 12 volt on demand pump with Viton seals will spray anything, including corrosive herbicides but a PTO driven roller pump won't. The cheaper cast iron pumps will get ate up inside quickly with herbicides like Monsanto Roundup. I'd opt for an alloy PTO pump of you go the PTO route. a 12 volt on demand pump don't matter.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
this is from northern tool it's 25 gallons, they come in different sizes, you may need a larger one, but if you only have an acre of improved land then this will be plenty. I strap it to bxpanded carry all. It has a 12 volt connection that plugs right into the tractor 12volt receptacle. It has a hand sprayer, i replaced its short hose with 50' of pneumatic hose to do locations around the house.

Untitled
by K. L., on Flickr

Last edited:

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fimco-40-gal-4-nozzle-3-point-hitch-sprayer-5302941

This is what I use, mainly for pest/fire ant control in the yard. Have use it to spray the driveway and just leave the booms folded in. When spraying fence lines I use the hand sprayer and spray from the seat while Im driving. Lots of bad reviews on it but I haven’t had any issues with it in 3 years. For my uses I didnt see spending a lot more on a pto powered one.
https://www.amazon.com/Jtron-Cigare...ds=12v+lighter+adapter&qid=1586975677&sr=8-26

I use mine on a BX tractor and run it off the lighter port. Bought several of these adapters when Radio Shack was still around.

LONGBOW42

Equipment
B2650, loader, mowing, seeding, rake, post hole digger, rear blade
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa

Is this powered by PTO or the 12 volt battery? Looks like what I am looking for to attach to my B2650.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I use an electric 60 gallon unit on the back of my UTV (Polaris Ranger 900) to cover a mixture of wood edge, small open ground fields and lots of woodland food plots, similar acreage to your description. The UTV is easier to handle than tractor in rough ground and can be ran slow when spraying. I have 2 folding booms and spray at 10' width in open areas.

Seems there are many issues with PTO pumps and sprayers in general. I purchased a Demco 60 skid based unit after much research and have been very happy with the quality and performance.

Good luck in your selection.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Is this powered by PTO or the 12 volt battery? Looks like what I am looking for to attach to my B2650.
Its powered from the battery (think I posted on your other thread too). I got a switch wired in on the tractor with a quick connect for the sprayer.

LONGBOW42

Equipment
B2650, loader, mowing, seeding, rake, post hole digger, rear blade
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
I use an electric 60 gallon unit on the back of my UTV (Polaris Ranger 900) to cover a mixture of wood edge, small open ground fields and lots of woodland food plots, similar acreage to your description. The UTV is easier to handle than tractor in rough ground and can be ran slow when spraying. I have 2 folding booms and spray at 10' width in open areas.

Seems there are many issues with PTO pumps and sprayers in general. I purchased a Demco 60 skid based unit after much research and have been very happy with the quality and performance.

Good luck in your selection.
Thanks, good info. I only have a tractor so don't believe an ATV unit will work as I don't have anything to set it on?? Do they make a 3 point platform?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Yes Demco does make 3pt sprayers but only serious ones, I think they start at 150 gallons.

It seems that sprayers are in some ways consumable items with many of the cheaper units on the markets, I'm not saying that is bad but as a buyer and user you have to be aware.

I avoided PTO sprayer as so many people seemed to have issues with the pumps not lasting too many years, maybe thats due to care and attention. If I had to buy one I would still go electric and select a reasonable cost unit that may need some parts every now and then.

I still get me sprayer out a month before I really need it and set it up and test it each year, just in case.

Good luck with your selection.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
if you have 3 point weight bracket you could fab up a tray to set the sprayer on.