3 Pt Hitch Check Chains - Turnbuckles - cheap

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
I bought a B7200HST and some of the 3 pt parts were missing, including one of the check chains, which is really just a turnbuckle. Found this place that sells turnbuckles very similar to the ones that come on Kubotas and other small tractors....cheap. Less than 6 bucks for the 6 x 1/2. I'll just add the clevis pins and I believe it will work fine. Shipping is a bit high. 10 bucks for two, but it's better than 114 from Kubota for one. Might be worth checking out:

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Rigging-Supplies-Hardware/Eye-Eye-Galvanized-Turnbuckles

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No offence meant, but those turnbuckles are not anywhere near as strong as the ones that come on the Kubota to start with.
They will probably work for a while for you, but they are going to bend of fail at some point.

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
No offense taken... I'll give them a try. I haven't received them yet, but it's worth a try. If they break, then I'll have to fabricate one. OEM is over 100 bucks for a turnbuckle....but that's the way it is in the world of old Kubotas..!! Thanks.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I bought chains (mine were missing too) for my 2150 off ebay from hoyetractor. Item 300722136447 looks like the same thing I have. Another seller is listing them for a little less under 321073060898. So far so good, but really haven't put them to any hard test yet.

And some of the guys here prefer rigid catch braces to chains.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I bought chains (mine were missing too) for my 2150 off ebay from hoyetractor. Item 300722136447 looks like the same thing I have. Another seller is listing them for a little less under 321073060898. So far so good, but really haven't put them to any hard test yet.

And some of the guys here prefer rigid catch braces to chains.
Referred to as telescoping stabilizers. Much better than turnbuckles.

I build these as a side business- and I build them for a lot of tractors with fencing turnbuckles dangling down, busted...

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I certainly do hope that the turnbuckles you have found will work- it would be awesome to have such an affordable solution available to tractor owners. Kubota isn't the only manufacturer that still puts turnbuckles on tractors- almost all of them do. John Deere still does, but their turnbuckles are only 8 inches long, total! They are super short, and it isn't possible to make a set of telescoping stabilizers that will function properly for them. LS puts telescoping stabilizers on their tractors, but it is a weak design- I have built sets to replace them. So, the problem continues to exist, meaning that solutions will continue to be necessary. The stabilizers that I build are a luxury item, not a necessity. So, again, an affordable alternative is a great thing for everyone. When I have an interested party say that they don't have the funds necessary for a set, I can always direct them to a solution that fits their budget. So, will you keep us posted on how they do?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sweet.....!!! I might have to look in to getting a set later on. The "kubota account" is getting low at the moment, and the wife is contemplating blowing up my kubota...
Quick go use the tractor to make her a pretty flower bed or something to calm her down!;)

Teikas Dad

Equipment
B3200
Oct 19, 2012
Live Free or Die
Referred to as telescoping stabilizers. Much better than turnbuckles.

I build these as a side business- and I build them for a lot of tractors with fencing turnbuckles dangling down, busted...
I've got a set of Mark's stabilizers on my B3200. Makes hooking anything up on the TPH much easier. It takes all of about 5 minutes to install them and once they are on, seconds to adjust when you put an implement on the the TPH.

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
Yep.... I'll post some info about the "cheap" turnbuckles when I get them in and do some pulling with them attached. I don't expect much, but ya never know. I know the ones at the farm store are worthless pot metal and wouldn't hold up with a pedal tractor.

The one's I ordered are supposed to be galvanized steel and rated at 2200 pounds straight pull. We shall see....

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
Update on the cheap turnbuckles.

I got them today. They are basically the same as what the farm stores sell. Hot dipped galvanized steel. I got the 1/2 inch threaded screws and the 6 inch buckle. They're heavier than the OEM Kubota turnbuckles weighing 1 pound six ounces compared to 1 pound for the OEM. A standard 2 inch clevis with a 9/16 inch opening fits on them quite well. They are obviously not the same quality as Kubota being China made but since the diameters of all components on the cheap ones are considerably larger than the OEM, they might just work okay. I'll know more after I get everything rigged and put them through some testing. Also the 6 x 1/2 turnbuckles that I bought are 14-1/8 inches long turned fully closed. For 6 bucks each, I really didn't expect them to be this good. I'll post another update after I have tested them a few times.

P.S. My farm store sells these for 23 bucks each. I got them for 6 each plus shipping.

Photos here:

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/timestreasures/library/Kubota pics

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Update on the cheap turnbuckles.

I got them today. They are basically the same as what the farm stores sell. Hit dipped galvanized steel. I got the 1/2 inch threaded screws and the 6 inch buckle. They're heavier than the OEM Kubota turnbuckles weighing 1 pound six ounces compared to 1 pound for the OEM. A standard 2 inch clevis with a 9/16 inch opening fits on them quite well. They are obviously not the same quality as Kubota being China made but since the diameters of all components on the cheap ones are considerably larger than the OEM, they might just work okay. I'll know more after I get everything rigged and put them through some testing. Also the 6 x 1/2 turnbuckles that I bought are 14-1/8 inches long turned fully closed. For 6 bucks each, I really didn't expect them to be this good. I'll post another update after I have tested them a few times.

P.S. My farm store sells these for 23 bucks each. I got them for 6 each plus shipping.

Photos here:

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/timestreasures/library/Kubota pics
Time and application will tell; cheap steel/metal can be twice the thickness, and fail sooner than smaller, high quality components. Being from China, they could do great, or fail miserably.

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
I certainly do hope that the turnbuckles you have found will work- it would be awesome to have such an affordable solution available to tractor owners. Kubota isn't the only manufacturer that still puts turnbuckles on tractors- almost all of them do. John Deere still does, but their turnbuckles are only 8 inches long, total! They are super short, and it isn't possible to make a set of telescoping stabilizers that will function properly for them. LS puts telescoping stabilizers on their tractors, but it is a weak design- I have built sets to replace them. So, the problem continues to exist, meaning that solutions will continue to be necessary. The stabilizers that I build are a luxury item, not a necessity. So, again, an affordable alternative is a great thing for everyone. When I have an interested party say that they don't have the funds necessary for a set, I can always direct them to a solution that fits their budget. So, will you keep us posted on how they do?
I have the turnbuckles installed. As soon as I find a good brush hog, I'll put them to the test and keep everyone posted.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I have the turnbuckles installed. As soon as I find a good brush hog, I'll put them to the test and keep everyone posted.

Where are you located in Southern Illinois, in general? you don't have to post exactly where.

I know a couple individuals that sell new and used equipment and you might be able to find a decent brush hog through one of them.