3 pt bale mover? Other purposes?

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
At the moment I can't justify loader forks........or think I'd have a lot of use for them after this project........even though I read once you have them you'll wonder why you didn't gry thrm sooner.......and no I don't want clamp on or amazon forks.

I found a 3 pt bale mover for cheap on marketplace. It's the same concept as forks or a carry all for the 3 point but the forks don't slide. They're about 50 inches wide.
1000030187.jpg

1000030189.jpg

I had a tree taken down a few years ago and cut and split all the limbs, now I'm to the trunk and need to move the pieces under the splitter.

I was thinking of using the bale mover and getting underneath to move the pieces. I did the samething where I use to work but with pallet forks and a skidloader.
1000030191.jpg

The company that took down my trees had a b series Kubota so I'm sure my lx2610 can move the pieces, and honestly I'd feel better with weight on the back than up front.
1000030185.jpg

1000030183.jpg

Does this seem like something feasible? Or should I save up for real forks?

Any other ideas or uses for 3 point forks?

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I do really get a lot of use out of my FEL forks. I’d spring for them even if the budget is tight. Actually my budget IS very tight right now, so I sold my back blade and grading scraper. Never for a moment considered selling the forks.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but you could “noodle” (cut in half or quarter longways) the pieces where they are to make them smaller and easier to lift in to the bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd wait to find actual pallet forks. The ability to adjust width is what makes them valuable.

I kept watching FB and found a pallet fork frame/mount. New, no forks.....$150, it was for a mini skid steer. I cut the mount off and made the mount frame for my tractor. I had a set of forks. Don't use them much, but I have them. I prefer grapple in most cases.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
At the moment I can't justify loader forks........or think I'd have a lot of use for them after this project........even though I read once you have them you'll wonder why you didn't gry thrm sooner.......and no I don't want clamp on or amazon forks.

I found a 3 pt bale mover for cheap on marketplace. It's the same concept as forks or a carry all for the 3 point but the forks don't slide. They're about 50 inches wide.
View attachment 127406
View attachment 127407

I had a tree taken down a few years ago and cut and split all the limbs, now I'm to the trunk and need to move the pieces under the splitter.

I was thinking of using the bale mover and getting underneath to move the pieces. I did the samething where I use to work but with pallet forks and a skidloader.
View attachment 127405
The company that took down my trees had a b series Kubota so I'm sure my lx2610 can move the pieces, and honestly I'd feel better with weight on the back than up front.
View attachment 127408
View attachment 127414
Does this seem like something feasible? Or should I save up for real forks?

Any other ideas or uses for 3 point forks?
Good day.

Some other potential use for 3 pt forks could be to put a pallet on them and use as a platform or the base of a carryall. Depending on how you want to use you could even put sides on the pallet so you have a a little bed of sorts to carry / haul whatever. From that standpoint you could put weight it in and use for ballast too when doing loader work. I think there are some options there.

Personally I think it would be easier to get pallet forks on the loader under a chunk of wood as you have a little more ability to rotate forks forward and backward and up/down. On the rear, if you have a traditional top link, only way I know of to adjust the rear forks would be with the turn buckle adjustment. I am not sure you might have to tilt down to get under the log and then tilt them back if want to slip them back and haul without them slipping off.

Anyway I think adjusting the forks on the rear might not be convenient with a traditional top link. JMO.

Also the forks on the back would be fixed so you would be stuck with just the one width setting.

Actual pallet Forks on front you can normally move forks in / out allowing to use a variety of different pallet sizes to use or adjust to whatever picking up.

Front forks might have a little more versatility in terms of different use cases. If taking on / off a lot,hard to beat convenience of SSQA.

I think sort of depends on how you want to use them / frequency. Both have their place IMO.

I am it sure this helps or not?🥃

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If you are "kinda" close to getting the forks then wait and put that money towards them.

I would classify my forks as "life altering" in a positive way. They have changed the way I do things forever.

But I am a realist too. So if you are a "long way" from saving enough to get the forks, then I could see getting that bale mover to get some jobs done.

Reactions: 1 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Good day.

Some other potential use for 3 pt forks could be to put a pallet on them and use as a platform or the base of a carryall. Depending on how you want to use you could even put sides on the pallet so you have a a little bed of sorts to carry / haul whatever. From that standpoint you could put weight it in and use for ballast too when doing loader work. I think there are some options there.

Personally I think it would be easier to get pallet forks on the loader under a chunk of wood as you have a little more ability to rotate forks forward and backward and up/down. On the rear, if you have a traditional top link, only way I know of to adjust the rear forks would be with the turn buckle adjustment. I am not sure you might have to tilt down to get under the log and then tilt them back if want to slip them back and haul without them slipping off.

Anyway I think adjusting the forks on the rear might not be convenient with a traditional top link. JMO.

Also the forks on the back would be fixed so you would be stuck with just the one width setting.

Actual pallet Forks on front you can normally move forks in / out allowing to use a variety of different pallet sizes to use or adjust to whatever picking up.

Front forks might have a little more versatility in terms of different use cases. If taking on / off a lot,hard to beat convenience of SSQA.

I think sort of depends on how you want to use them / frequency. Both have their place IMO.

I am it sure this helps or not?🥃
Those were all thoughts I had too about the width adjustment and being able to to dig down to get undersomething.

I thought of getting a wooden crate and making a door or removable side for hauling whatever or putting a sprayer or water tank on a pallet.

Pros and cons to each but your advice helps.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
If you are "kinda" close to getting the forks then wait and put that money towards them.

I would classify my forks as "life altering" in a positive way. They have changed the way I do things forever.

But I am a realist too. So if you are a "long way" from saving enough to get the forks, then I could see getting that bale mover to get some jobs done.
I do have enough saved to get an okay off brand from a dealer, but at the moment I'm looking for a better rear blade for grading and snow removal.......something that'd be used more. Figured maybe try the rear forks and see how it goes and could upgrade to the front forks.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Don't use them much, but I have them. I prefer grapple in most cases.

I do have enough saved to get an okay off brand from a dealer, but at the moment I'm looking for a better rear blade for grading and snow removal.......something that'd be used more. Figured maybe try the rear forks and see how it goes and could upgrade to the front forks.

One of the things I find fascinating about tractor ownership, is reading about how others utilize their machines.

All the different configurations and use's/expectations/ideas is really cool.

For instance @D2Cat lack of fork use is the complete antithesis of my experience. If I had to sell my stuff one piece at a time, the forks would be one of the last things to go.....possibly the last thing. But for him, it's different.

And your use of the "bale mover" is a novel idea as well. I like "out of the box" ideas. (y)

Although I'd still just get the forks. ;)

1714646994706.png

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
One of the things I find fascinating about tractor ownership, is reading about how others utilize their machines.

For instance @D2Cat lack of fork use is the complete antithesis of my experience. If I had to sell my stuff one piece at a time, the forks would be one of the last things to go.....possibly the last thing. But for him, it's different.

And your use of the "bale mover" is a novel idea as well. I like "out of the box" ideas. (y)

View attachment 127423
Very good way looking at it. When I was a landscape foreman I was trained that " this is how it has to be done, a,b,c way" over the years working with all age groups, and skill levels I discovered there isn't a " cut and dry" way of getting the jobs done. A kid would put his own twist on a task and sometimes it'd work out better, and other times you'd be down an hour. You forget a tool, you make something else work. Everyone has their own twist of doing things and sometimes someone next will see it and think " hey that will work, or get me buy"

That's one nice thing on this forum we're all here to share our ideas, and experiences.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I am inclined to get them. Then either trade or sell them towards a set of pallet forks. You will not be out any or very little money, and they are better than nothing.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 127423
ABSOLUTELY.........FORKS!
They are the most used attachment that I have!

Last edited:

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Those type of bale forks left this farm thirty plus years ago. They like to tear the twine or wrap off the bales. Have used the spear type for years. You can buy those type of forks in my area for fifty to a hundred dollars. They do make a nice base for making a carrier. If your budget is tight just keep saving for a pair of front fork. The buys for them are out there if you can do some welding.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I use 3 point bale forks in combo with fel forks to balance load and move bales to staging twice as fast. 3 point forks are handy for ballast when using fel. I carry spray tank and boom with bale forks. I built a carryall that is easy to load and unload onto forks. Buy them and keep eyes open for a bargain set w/adjustable spacing if they would suit you better.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I offered the person 150.00 cash as these go for 50, 100, 150 at auction. They said okay, but now I'm waiting on their realitive to get back to me on a time and place. So see what happens.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I ended up buying the forks. Enough guys on the ag forums convinced me to haha. They said they use them more than their fel forks. For 150.00 I figured I'd get use out of them between moving logs, moving pallets, making a carry all, animal mover, and a sprayer.
20240504_175240.jpg
20240504_132711.jpg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I ended up buying the forks. Enough guys on the ag forums convinced me to haha. They said they use them more than their fel forks. For 150.00 I figured I'd get use out of them between moving logs, moving pallets, making a carry all, animal mover, and a sprayer.
View attachment 127593 View attachment 127594
I have the same bale carrier. Use it with a box I built for a 'carry all' at times. It is a ruggedly built hay fork...so you can use it to pick up some pretty heavy items (logs, etc) and not damage it.

I wouldn't use it in 'place' of forks on a FEL....but it does have other useful functions.

I added a hay 'spear' to mine to facilitate quicker engagement with hay bales and to make it more secure when carrying bales (they can't roll off sideways). It is removable....for when I want to use my carry-all.

HS01.jpg

HS00a.jpg
HS04.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I have the same bale carrier. Use it with a box I built for a 'carry all' at times. It is a ruggedly built hay fork...so you can use it to pick up some pretty heavy items (logs, etc) and not damage it.

I wouldn't use it in 'place' of forks on a FEL....but it does have other useful functions.

I added a hay 'spear' to mine to facilitate quicker engagement with hay bales and to make it more secure when carrying bales (they can't roll off sideways). It is removable....for when I want to use my carry-all.

View attachment 127607
View attachment 127610 View attachment 127609
Great idea with the spear and looks like a factory option.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada

View attachment 127607
View attachment 127610 View attachment 127609
Nicely done.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
View attachment 127593 View attachment 127594
Well worth the money. A hyd top link would make them even better. But it is easy to spend other peoples money.