1.33 acres, heavily wooded and overgrown... Need advice on a tractor purchase!

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Capacity comparisons here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx-vs-b01-vs-b50.36719/

I moved from a BX to a B. In my opinion there are no downsides to that move - they're basically the same size machine (length, width are very close), but the extra height gives the B much better geometry on the 3ph. My opinion is that the BX is sized to look/feel like a large rideon, for people who aren't comfortable with a tractor, or who's wives can be convinced into a large rideon but not a tractor. :)

If you don't have that constraint, no reason to get a BX. The difference in price is not much, the difference in capability is substantial. A B will do anything a BX will do - it'll fit in the same spaces, turn as tight etc. But there's lots of things a B will do that a BX won't - particularly when it comes to ground clearance and lifting things on the 3ph. The extra lift capacity on a B is also really useful if you're getting a grapple - it's hard to get a lot done with a grapple on a BX because the SSQA + grapple on their own eat up a lot of your lift capacity. The B is only 30% more FEL lift, but once there's a grapple on the remaining lift capacity is more like 50%
If you do a "Build your own" on a comparably equipped BX vs a B, the difference looks to be in the $1000-2000 range. When you are talking about spending $20-25k, the difference is pretty small.

If I were buying new or if I found a similarly equipped BX and B for only a 10% price difference I would go with the B.

With that said, I am very happy with my BX and it does everything I need it to. When I was looking for a used tractor I looked for both B's and BX's since they would both fit my bill. I got what I felt was a pretty good deal on my BX, so I took it and am happy.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
Capacity comparisons here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx-vs-b01-vs-b50.36719/

I moved from a BX to a B. In my opinion there are no downsides to that move - they're basically the same size machine (length, width are very close), but the extra height gives the B much better geometry on the 3ph. My opinion is that the BX is sized to look/feel like a large rideon, for people who aren't comfortable with a tractor, or who's wives can be convinced into a large rideon but not a tractor. :)

If you don't have that constraint, no reason to get a BX. The difference in price is not much, the difference in capability is substantial. A B will do anything a BX will do - it'll fit in the same spaces, turn as tight etc. But there's lots of things a B will do that a BX won't - particularly when it comes to ground clearance and lifting things on the 3ph. The extra lift capacity on a B is also really useful if you're getting a grapple - it's hard to get a lot done with a grapple on a BX because the SSQA + grapple on their own eat up a lot of your lift capacity. The B is only 30% more FEL lift, but once there's a grapple on the remaining lift capacity is more like 50%
this post should be a sticky in the main forum. really well said.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Sorry, I guess I should clarify:
The house was abandoned for 40 years from 1970 - 2010. A couple has lived in the house for the last 12 years, but the land hasn't been maintained.

Since this post was about tractors, I didn't feel it was necessary to get into the details about the house itself. It is still a major project, but the house hasn't been vacant for 40 years, it's primarily the land that has decades of work ahead of us!

A little about the house for anyone curious:
1890 construction, has an original asbestos roof in great condition, though we are getting quotes on abatement since I'd rather not deal with the roof replacement after renovations.
Structurally, the house is solid. But, it's all knob and tube electric (needs full replacement), and plumbing needs to be full replaced.
It's a major project. Will be taking the entire house down to the studs and redoing it all.

At the end of the day though, 1.3 acres in town is unheard of. And, the lots that do approach this size are all old farms/corn fields with no trees. This property has an old-growth forest on it, a lot of 60+ foot tall walnut trees, and really unique characteristics.

For what we are paying, the house is simply a bonus feature in our opinion, but it has good bones (based on the contractor's comments) and is not in the historic district, so while we want to preserve a lot of the original home's character, we have the freedom to do what we want without needing Historic Preservation Commission approval (another selling point :) )
The pictures added post OP certainly explain a lot. I still have a bit of difference of opinion from some of others…in general I think size the tractor to your implements you want to use and the tasks you want to do…IMO. From your pictures I think those are two very different things. The first being the expectation/time frame to clean the woods up. That is maybe a different solution to what you need compared to after the woods is cleaned up. (if that is your goal and the time frame to complete has a lot to do with it… or slow steady over months/years in available time) How you get it done and the goals only you can decide that but for the work now and later I sort of thinks it’s potentially very different depending on how quickly you want to get done with clean up. As far as getting a tractor, you will find more uses than you can imagine…they are diesel power plants and you should think of them as a leather man tool for property maintenance. I think how you plan to maintain the woods also may impact what machine will be ideal (if you decide not to get a tractor, be advised mowing in and around a woods regularly will beat the shit out of a big box lawnmower…you would replacing early and often)…in my opinion of your pictures I think you have tasks ahead of you that are not limited by your acreage…IMO. Whatever you choose, get the front end loader with the original purchase IMO. Good luck.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I moved from a BX to a B. In my opinion there are no downsides to that move - they're basically the same size machine (length, width are very close),
We must live on different planets. My B2910 is an order of magnitude larger than my BX2200. BUT I am not up to date on all the current B models offered today….

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
I have an acre with a B2601. I previously had a BX1880. Not that the BX didn’t do everything I asked, but the B2601 isn’t much larger than a BX, but far more capable. I have found it to be the right fit for my needs even though many would say it’s overkill. We are looking to buy an additional 2 acres of land from neighbors, so it was also some level of future proofing.

If it’s going to be primarily for mowing, I would go with the BX. If it’s going to be doing more tractor things, I would go with the B2301 or B2601.

Also recommend going and sitting on the machines. Sometimes just seeing them in person can help you figure out what fits and what doesn’t.

XSpecBx

Equipment
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
It's all relative. My neighbor had 3 acres with house and driveway, worked a full time job and mowed his yard for a couple of years with a LawnBoy push mower. He even mowed further out around his property to keep rodents further back. He was about 45 years old at that time. He had a garden that was about 200' x 100' all worked by him and his tiller. He also had a separate area with strawberrys. He eventually purchased an IH with 5' belly mower. I'd go with him every Saturday in the fall to cut firewood because we both heated with wood.

There is a difference today in the ability of folks to do physical work. :unsure:
It’s certainly not the ability for many, it’s just a lack of time. My wife and I both work full time, we have a 4 year old who has stuff going on along with our own hobbies and interests.

I do my own property management as I enjoy it, but I don’t have the time to mow my lawn with a push mower or move mulch and dirt every year with a wheel barrow. If others do, great for the, but many like myself don’t have the time. As I keep saying lately, I have more money than time, so the tractor is a worthwhile investment to allow me to do things I want/need to do while not eating up all my free time.

Reactions: 2 users

XSpecBx

Equipment
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Also, I don't remember if you mentioned slopes, but my BX, and I assume my SIL's BX23S, is more stable on slopes than my B2910 is, by far.

Just food for thought. Good luck in your decision.
My BX1880 with 1.5” wheels spacers was less stable than my stock B2601. It’s only a few inches wider, but the larger tires and the heavier weight seem to keep it much more planted. Things that would lift a wheel on the BX don’t even budge the B01.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It’s certainly not the ability for many, it’s just a lack of time. My wife and I both work full time, we have a 4 year old who has stuff going on along with our own hobbies and interests.

I do my own property management as I enjoy it, but I don’t have the time to mow my lawn with a push mower or move mulch and dirt every year with a wheel barrow. If others do, great for the, but many like myself don’t have the time. As I keep saying lately, I have more money than time, so the tractor is a worthwhile investment to allow me to do things I want/need to do while not eating up all my free time.
Like I said in the first sentence, It's all relative.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
A couple of things. First, go to your local HomeDepot and rent a Kubota BX23 or B26 whichever one they have and use it for a weekend to get a feel of it. That will help you make a better decision as to your needs.
Second, it’s not so much the size of the tractor that dictates the ability of it to get work done, as it is the capabilities of the person operating it. Many people buy larger tractors than they need to compensate for the lack of abilities to run a tractor and get the work they need done properly and safely.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Wow- a pretty lively thread.

We should start taking bets on whether you buy a:
BX
B
LX
MX
GRand L
Or that newer giant Kubota they just came out with, the model # which currently slips my mind.
:D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Partial to a BX23 because I own one, however it is limited compared to others as stated above. Now, how large are the trees you will be clearing? I've used pallet forks to pick up just about anything that is manageable to be moved as far as trees/brush. If you are heavily wooded with lots of large trees then maybe a grapple is a consideration, but only until your trees are cleared then it becomes a "step around" implement. ( meaning it will sit in your way for years to come). Backhoe is small but has lots if uses, and since you mentioned you also are buying the tractor for fun, there ain't much more fun than digging stuff up or simply digging a French drain trench with a backhoe. I think a BX23s is a perfect machine for your needs.

Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
Update:

I test-drove a BX2380 last night, it felt very small, like I had to reach down to the steering wheel... It somehow felt smaller than the JD 1025R and the NH WM25s, even though they should be roughly the same size.

They didn't have any B tractors on the lot, and they didn't know when they were getting any in. He also said the B tractors are shipping without front-end loaders and they are back-ordered, no idea how long that wait would be, after an unknown wait for the B tractor itself.

There was an LX3310 on the lot which I tried out, that felt a little too big... So, somewhere between the BX and the LX seems appropriate for operation/feel. That leads me to believe the B2301 or B2601 would be ideal from an operator's comfort perspective. I still want to test drive one though, not going to just order blindly...

Also, after trying the BX with a 60" MMM, I felt like that wouldn't be ideal for our property. A 48" rear finish mower seems more maneuverable in some ways, and less in others... But they didn't have any in stock and LandPride has suspended production with no indication of when they would ship...

The common theme here: things are hard to get still and no idea when they would come in lol

They were definitely guiding me toward the BX2380 - it's on the lot and they can sell it today rather than having to order another tractor. But, I just couldn't see myself paying $18,688 for the BX after riding on it for 5-10 minutes. For only a little bit more, the B2301 would give me more hydraulic lift capacity, greater ground clearance, 3 gear HST, greater 3ph lift capacity, and position increments rather than 3ph 1/4 inch adjustments in height.
That all seems worth the extra few dollars. But again, I still want to test try the B 2301/2601. I guess I'll need to call around other dealerships and see if anyone has one in stock for me to try out. The issue is, there aren't many Kubota dealers within a 300-mile radius of me!

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
... If others do, great for the, but many like myself don’t have the time. As I keep saying lately, I have more money than time, so the tractor is a worthwhile investment to allow me to do things I want/need to do while not eating up all my free time.
Excellent point !
As a retiree I have time and enough money. If my tractor gives me more time with the wife to watch a sunset or to go play with the grandkids it pays for itself.
Good luck on your shopping.

Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
Excellent point !
As a retiree I have time and enough money. If my tractor gives me more time with the wife to watch a sunset or to go play with the grandkids it pays for itself.
I have acquired a greater appreciation for life and the time I have left, over the last few years.
I am only 31, but I have lost 5 close friends between high school and now. Cancer is a bitch, murder is real, and car accidents happen every day. These are all very real to me and have felt the pain of losing loved ones at such young ages.
Our time is limited on this spinning rock.

Reactions: 6 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Excellent point !
I agree. For me the time factor is multiplied. Not only do I save time by doing things with the tractor vs manually, but the next 2 days aren't spent lying on a heating pad taking high doses of Tylenol and Aleve ;)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Also, after trying the BX with a 60" MMM, I felt like that wouldn't be ideal for our property. A 48" rear finish mower seems more maneuverable in some ways, and less in others...
You'll be a lot happier if you spend that mower money on an ordinary riding mower. Let the tractor do tractor work. Messing with a MMM or even a rear mower is going to get to be a royal pain very quickly.

Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
You'll be a lot happier if you spend that mower money on an ordinary riding mower. Let the tractor do tractor work. Messing with a MMM or even a rear mower is going to get to be a royal pain very quickly.
Any recommendations around the $1500 $2000 mark? That seems to be average for a RFM.
I don't love the idea of having two machines to maintain and find storage in my garage for, but I do understand the reasoning behind this...
If I can find a decent riding mower for less than the cost of an RFM, then perhaps it's easier to justify to myself, and my wife haha.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
The MMM on the BX works very well......I have the exact same size deck on both of my machines. (54")
A TG1860 mower with sortof a "suspension for the rider" and the BX with no suspension to speak of.
We mow about 2 ac. of relatively bumpy field. (it's my lawn, but there's not really any topsoil)

Both my son and I will take the TG every-single-time. I only mow with the BX when I "have to".

Not because it mows poorly. It's essentially the same size as the TG, but because of lack of suspension.

I've never mowed with a rear 3-pt mower but it's my understanding that they aren't nearly as maneuverable around obstacles and you're going to spend a lot of time doing "5 point turns" backing up. You need to ask the guys here about that if you're considering it.

If there was some kind of dealer close to me with a mower with a "suspension", that's what I'd go for.
If you're mowing a golf course, then it's a moot point.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Check your local box store. You don't need a monster machine for as much lawn as you'll have. Even if you scalp the place and do nothing but lawn, you'll be at an acre or so of grass to cut. With your plans? Half an acre? Maybe less?

I just checked Kubota's website. A 54" MMM for the B2601 will run you $2,524.00.

At the lower end, a King Kutter 48" rear mount will run you $1,980.00.

Spend that same money on a basic Craftsman or Husqvarna mower and you'll have a decent mower that will do the job well and save you tons of time and hassle.

BTW, at your size, I agree, you might find the BX a bit cramped. I'm 6' 190 and it's fine. But I can certainly see it would probably NOT be for a bigger man.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Update:

I test-drove a BX2380 last night, it felt very small, like I had to reach down to the steering wheel... It somehow felt smaller than the JD 1025R and the NH WM25s, even though they should be roughly the same size.

They didn't have any B tractors on the lot, and they didn't know when they were getting any in. He also said the B tractors are shipping without front-end loaders and they are back-ordered, no idea how long that wait would be, after an unknown wait for the B tractor itself.

There was an LX3310 on the lot which I tried out, that felt a little too big... So, somewhere between the BX and the LX seems appropriate for operation/feel. That leads me to believe the B2301 or B2601 would be ideal from an operator's comfort perspective. I still want to test drive one though, not going to just order blindly...

Also, after trying the BX with a 60" MMM, I felt like that wouldn't be ideal for our property. A 48" rear finish mower seems more maneuverable in some ways, and less in others... But they didn't have any in stock and LandPride has suspended production with no indication of when they would ship...

The common theme here: things are hard to get still and no idea when they would come in lol

They were definitely guiding me toward the BX2380 - it's on the lot and they can sell it today rather than having to order another tractor. But, I just couldn't see myself paying $18,688 for the BX after riding on it for 5-10 minutes. For only a little bit more, the B2301 would give me more hydraulic lift capacity, greater ground clearance, 3 gear HST, greater 3ph lift capacity, and position increments rather than 3ph 1/4 inch adjustments in height.
That all seems worth the extra few dollars. But again, I still want to test try the B 2301/2601. I guess I'll need to call around other dealerships and see if anyone has one in stock for me to try out. The issue is, there aren't many Kubota dealers within a 300-mile radius of me!
Roadtrip!

I say get on the phone and find the nearest dealer with what you want in stock and head on over to confirm it fits you well.